NWA is the best.

IANdrewDiceClay

6 minutes ago, garynysmon said:

Don't agree personally. Stu Bennett has been great in the role but I do miss Cornette who is an excellent colour guy and was the perfect carry-over from the original NWA.

He had to go of course, but still.

Don’t get me wrong - I don’t disagree with that assessment of Cornette, but in the run-up to Into The Fire, even before ‘the incident’, I started to feel like the novelty of the Powerrr format had worn off and that it needed some kind of boot up the arse to get things back on track. It would be insane to suggest that Stu alone provided that, but for me he’s been part of a package of changes that have helped significantly improve the show.

• Paid Members

I don't understand why people are still moaning about the aesthetics of the show and want an 'upgrade' or updating of them. We finally get a wrestling show that looks completely different from other shows and people want it to be a bit more like the rest. Go and watch the rest then.

1 hour ago, Devon Malcolm said:

I don't understand why people are still moaning about the aesthetics of the show and want an 'upgrade' or updating of them. We finally get a wrestling show that looks completely different from other shows and people want it to be a bit more like the rest. Go and watch the rest then.

I really enjoy the presentation, but I do wonder if some form of modernisation of the set will be a necessary evil to help this show to get picked up by a network or streaming service.

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

I really enjoy the presentation, but I do wonder if some form of modernisation of the set will be a necessary evil to help this show to get picked up by a network or streaming service.

That’ll be purely down to viewership surely?. If the numbers are good they’ll have offers. Nowt to do with ‘how it looks’. The people who enjoy watching it are doing so based on it being exactly what it is. In a world full of WWE/NXT clones, this is one of a handful doing something different. The only reason it was revived is down to the passion of the team to offer that old school, different vibe.

• Paid Members
43 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

They don't seem to be worried about that right now. They're just doing a fun weekly show with a few PPVs and they're getting good viewership and good reviews. So why is anybody else? It doesn't make any difference to me if they're on a network or not, nor should it to anybody.

42 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

They don't seem to be worried about that right now. They're just doing a fun weekly show with a few PPVs and they're getting good viewership and good reviews. So why is anybody else? It doesn't make any difference to me if they're on a network or not, nor should it to anybody.

Things may have changed of course, but Dave Lagana said that their current model was unsustainable.

They’re definitely - and rightly - getting good reviews, but I’m not sure if the 200k-ish weekly viewership is enough in itself for a network to take a punt on Powerrr. 

I’d love for the viewership to grow organically, but while it’s staying relatively stable that doesn’t seem to be happening.

Which is a long-winded way of saying I’m not attached enough to the current set to be bothered if they decided that an updated take on the studio setting might benefit them. 

Edited by RedRooster

Well apparently they're close to making a profit and like I said before, that's all that it needs to do. Corgan (IMHO) isn't bothered about setting up a conglomerate. This is more of a hobby/project for him. Let's just all buy the Pay Per Views and help it continue. Like someone else said recently, this is the highlight of my wrestling week. I literally can't stop thinking about the NWA. I don't know why but it's worked on me. Like another said..... "they're giving me everything I want without even asking for it". 

I also hope that it stays on YouTube personally. I love being able to go back to anything that I want to whenever I want. 

Edited by Angle_fan

I want them to keep the same exact look but maybe get a few more bodies around the ring for atmosphere's sake. It's my favourite current wrestling television and think it has transcended Mid-South cosplay, but to think it couldn't get better is to accept the low standards other wrestling television suggests we need to have.

Very happy for it to stay on Youtube.

What's everyone's current view on Nick Aldis as the NWA's marquee performer?  It's always struck me over the years that the general consensus on him was that he had the look but didn't possess the skills or charisma to be anything more than a lower mid card talent.  But this is where I think everything truly comes down to presentation being key, and why we held some stars or the past on pedestals regardless of limited talent. I'm  buying into him as a big deal and each and every week he comes across as a massive star worthy of being a company figurehead.

Edited by Bohan

• Paid Members
8 hours ago, boyfriend said:

How is Ricky Strarx not a heel? Smug little bollox. Kamille is money. Love the no speaking, really creates so much mystique. God this show is fun.

I think there’s a lot more to come from Starx. I think he’s a bit green at times and his promo timing is a bit off, but there’s elements of a young heel HBK/model Martel hiding in there. He defo should be heel because he’s believably smug. He posted a video of twitter himself of himself dancing outside a few months back, and it painted a bit more of a picture of his persona. I want to see more of that character in NWA.

1 hour ago, Bohan said:

What's everyone's current view on Nick Aldis as the NWA's marquee performer?  It's always struck me over the years that the general consensus on him was that he had the look but didn't possess the skills or charisma to be anything more than a lower mid card talent.  But this is where I think everything truly comes down to presentation being key, and why we held some stars or the past on pedestals regardless of limited talent. I'm  buying into him as a big deal and each and every week he comes across as a massive star worthy of being a company figurehead.

Think he looks the absolute business. I was sceptical but he had me by the jaffas from that opening promo on show one and hasn't so much as loosened the grip. The team tracksuits give me a UWF vibe, which is basically asking me to hand over my money in perpetuity.

• Paid Members

Aldis looks mint, carries himself brilliantly, knows what to say, knows how to look at the camera and has improved a lot in ring. He’s 95% nailed it for me. If I was to criticise anything, it would simply be the tone of his voice. There’s no grit in it, he’s very softly spoken, so when he’s angry or agitated, it doesn’t always have the bite it needs.

Such a small thing to bring up in the scheme of things, but it’s the only negative I notice, meaning he’s doing a lot right.

• Paid Members

Aldis is the top champion in any company for me right now, including Jericho. Jericho is massively entertaining but I couldn't care less if he was champ or not. With Aldis, not only does he carry himself like a champion but I want to see him lose because he's such a good heel. 

• Paid Members

Plus, they're building him up while champion. I don't watch AEW but it sounds like that's what they're doing with Jericho too.

When WWE makes someone champion, especially for the first time, that's it. They think, "Oh they're champion now, we don't have to do anything else with them". But NWA made Aldis champion and have allowed him to develop and grow his character and seem tougher to dethrone with each passing week. You shouldn't just assume that someone has 'reached the peak' just because they're champion. Use it as a building block to further develop their character.