It's today then ... (Trump thread)

mikehoncho

• Paid Members

The government have said Trump's endorsement of Britain First isn't on, but that the state visit is still happening. 

Then Trump directly tweeted at May, telling her to focus on radical Islam in the UK. I wonder if being the victim of one of Trump's Twitter broadsides will finally make her tell him he's not welcome. Doubtful. 

• Paid Members

Does a state visit involve him being out in the open? He'll get torn to shreds over here, it'll be a total embarrassment for him.

I'd definitely get the train into town to chuck an egg at him. If someone as lazy as me would do it, there will be millions of people ahead of me. I can't imagine he's coming over.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Chest Rockwell said:

I know we've had the official statement from number 10, but have any other Tory MPs weighed in and made any statements on this issue?

The home secretary and foreign secretary were quizzed over it yesterday but refused to comment.

I think I would turn up to voice my dissatisfaction of Trump visiting if there was some sort of public appearance.

1 hour ago, PunkStep said:

The home secretary and foreign secretary were quizzed over it yesterday but refused to comment.

Which, in a clear cut moral situation such as this, where to remain neutral is to side with the oppressor, is a comment in itself.

• Paid Members
7 hours ago, SpursRiot2012 said:

The government have said Trump's endorsement of Britain First isn't on, but that the state visit is still happening. 

Then Trump directly tweeted at May, telling her to focus on radical Islam in the UK. I wonder if being the victim of one of Trump's Twitter broadsides will finally make her tell him he's not welcome. Doubtful. 

Trump can say whatever he likes to May & there'll be no strong rebuttal. She's in the process of weakening the UK through Brexit & both parties know that US trade negotiations are on the horizon. Not to mention  the fact she's a wet lettuce & is terrified of confrontation (she's known to go into hiding when things aren't going exactly to plan, see the leader debates earlier this year).

• Paid Members
6 hours ago, Dead Mike said:

Trump can say whatever he likes to May & there'll be no strong rebuttal. She's in the process of weakening the UK through Brexit & both parties know that US trade negotiations are on the horizon. Not to mention  the fact she's a wet lettuce & is terrified of confrontation (she's known to go into hiding when things aren't going exactly to plan, see the leader debates earlier this year).

Indeed. May's wet disapproval, while the right thing to do, is such empty bollocks. Trump retorted with telling her to piss off, which I'm sure will get ignored.

• Paid Members
48 minutes ago, The King Of Swing said:

Regardless of circumstances, I don't see a sitting PM ever strongly criticising the President of the United States.

"Special relationship" and all that.

Maybe I'm silly but I think Corbyn would. 

• Paid Members

Special relationship or not, I think almost any other PM would have had words. To say, "I disagree entirely, but the state visit's still on, and we're not actually going to do anything to suggest that we believe he did anything wrong" is a spineless, empty gesture.

Would it kill any Tory MP to say that, while Trump is banging on about Britain being rife with Islamic terror, he's endorsing a recognised hate group, one which has to shoulder at least some of the blame for the murder of a sitting MP? It's shameful that we have no one in a position of influence even saying that.

But no, we can't possibly offend America, because Brexit, and we need all the help we can get to form trade deals. Obviously that doesn't apply to the EU, we can slag them off, treat them like the enemy, and figuratively give them the Vs across the Channel all day long.

It's the most idiotic thing about Brexit - and there's plenty to choose from - even if it weren't already short-sighted and self-destructive to vote to leave the EU, that it happened while also risking an increasingly irrational and isolationist America, the potential rise of far-right parties across Europe, and a succession of political crises in Ireland, makes it an act of unbridled political irresponsibility, if not insanity.