It's today then ... (Trump thread)

mikehoncho

Brexit's scheduled to begin taking effect from Spring 2019. Hopefully Robert Mueller's dotted his I's and crossed his T's before then, and our government's left feeling rather daft for having walked on eggshells around the former president.

• Paid Members
21 hours ago, SpursRiot2012 said:

Maybe I'm silly but I think Corbyn would.Ā 

I do too. His plans for the UK seems to be a huge amount of internal investment. Nationalising public servicesĀ and pumping money into industries that are failing. You don't really need good trade deals for that. If people have got money to spend then businesses will come to take it from them.

2 hours ago, BomberPat said:

It's the most idiotic thing about Brexit - and there's plenty to choose from - even if it weren't already short-sighted and self-destructive to vote to leave the EU, that it happened while also risking an increasingly irrational and isolationist America, the potential rise of far-right parties across Europe, and a succession of political crises in Ireland, makes it an act of unbridled political irresponsibility, if not insanity.

Agreed. I'm not completely opposed to the idea of leaving the EU but the timing is horrendous. We're in an incredible amount of debt, much of which is still hidden, and the Government is pleading poverty when it comes to things like funding the health service. Yet we can still afford to leave the world's biggest trading bloc?

• Paid Members

MichaelĀ Flynn being hit with only the one charge essentially confirms that he's been flipped and is giving up a tonne of information on those around and above him in the Russia enquiry. I can only imagine what lunacy Trump is going to get up to, especially if this little titbitĀ is true.

Edited by Sergio Mendacious

• Paid Members

Good explanation of how significant the Flynn charge/reported planned guilty plea is:Ā 

Short version: Flynn pleading guilty/only being charged with this heavily suggests he's given significant evidence against somebody higher up the food chain, which in this case can only be Pence, Trump or both.

Oh, and Flynn specifically told the FBI that Trump personally "directed him to make contact with the Russians" during the campaign.

Ā 

Edited by JNLister

• Paid Members

Seth Abramson is a very silly man, but for once one of his tweetstorms doesn't seem to be social media fanfiction. Still, catch him stating his bona fides in the middle of the storm, like that means anything. At his worst, he's a more credible Claude Taylor, and this is him close to his best.

Edited by Sergio Mendacious

• 1 month later...
  • Paid Members

So, Steve Bannon and Donald Trump have turned on each other. Or rather, Donald Trump has turned on Steve Bannon, based on what Bannon is reported to have said, according to this new book by Michael Wolff.Ā 

There's an excerpt from that bookĀ here that makes for interesting, entertaining and, frankly, terrifying reading, from New York Magazine:Ā http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2018/01/michael-wolff-fire-and-fury-book-donald-trump.html?utm_campaign=nym&utm_source=tw&utm_medium=s1

Just put a pre-order in for the book. Can't wait tbh.

Edited by SpursRiot2012

• 2 months later...
  • Paid Members

Are these trade deal noises that Trump is making viable. As I understand it European car importsĀ are already heavily taxed. Why do cars from the Far East not suffer the same level of tax levies? You largely see Far EastĀ and American cars in the states. The number of German cars is lower compared to the American and Far East cars. Certainly when compared with the U.K.Ā 

Hes also threatening to squeeze the deals on the import of steel and other commodities. Is he not causing problems for America? If he's thinking this will drive American industry, then that's a very long term view. Surely beyond his term in office. He seems to be threatening to make America weak in order for it to rebuild internally. That's a dangerous plan.

• 2 weeks later...

Rex Tillerson has been sacked as Secretary of State, and replaced by Mike Pompeo who was director of the CIA.

According to the Department of State, Tillerson has not spoken Trump and is "unaware of the reason" for his firing.

Speaking to reporters at the White House, Trump said about Tillerson "We got along actually quite well, but we disagreed on things.Ā When you look at the Iran deal, I think it's terrible. I guess he thought it was OK". I love the lack of explanation about why he thinks the Iran deal was terrible.

"With Mike, Mike Pompeo, we have a very similar thought process. I think it's going to go very well.". So basically, he's sacked a guy who didn't agree with everything he said and replaced him with aĀ YesĀ man

• Paid Members

He was only fired today after all. He was told last Friday by the chief of staff to 'keep a look out for a tweet about him' from Trump. Today, he saw that tweet. That's how the President of the most powerful country of the world dismisses staff members. Nothing surprises me anymore.

The part that worries me is where Trump cites that he was replacing him because they disagreed on certain things. He is now happier with somebody that he thinks will have a similar thought process. Signs of a dictator much?