Random Thoughts III.

PowerButchi

Not long got out of bed and made a cuppa watching reruns of international Gladiators on Challenge TV and discovered after many times watching the same reruns and the show for many years that the American presenter alongside Ulrika Johnson is Mike Adamle....the former Raw General Manager. Never realised this before.

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, C-Rock said:

Not long got out of bed and made a cuppa watching reruns of international Gladiators on Challenge TV and discovered after many times watching the same reruns and the show for many years that the American presenter alongside Ulrika Johnson is Mike Adamle....the former Raw General Manager. Never realised this before.

Indeed. He was the original host of American Gladiators 

• Paid Members

Everyone here watch BotchaMania? I'm guessing many do, but it doesn't get mentioned as much as it deserves to. It's probably the thing I like the most about wrestling nowadays. The Simpsons jokes in particular in the past few episodes have been fucking amazing. Highly recommend. Did Maffew ever post on here?

• Awards Moderator
10 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

The one on the last episode of the Paramore/Dusty Rhodes mash up was excellent stuff. I really enjoy it too. 

YES! I didn't see that coming at all and enjoyed it so much I had to show non-fans. "HARD TIMES!"

I guess @Arch Stanton Botchamania has been around so long it's beyond discussion? I dunno. Surprised it's never had it's own thread, but I still really love watching it.

I find botchamania hard to watch now with the small screen. Understand the reasons why but it makes it harder.

Also find that a lot of the stuff aren't really botches now. Would be better if they weren't so regular and contained better stuff

Edited by Sheffbag

• Members
On 6/29/2017 at 3:44 PM, Big Benny HG said:

The issue with the Travis Banks thing is that it is just the latest in a string of similar situations that have all happened in recent weeks, with wrestlers pulling out of confirmed "smaller" indie bookings in order to stay in with "bigger" super indies that seem to have all the sway:

- Jimmy Havoc, Chris Brookes, Jinny and London Riots pulling out of a WAR show they were booked for in Manchester for over 6 months in order to do PROGRESS in Cologne this Saturday (causing the already sold-out WAR show to be cancelled in the end).

- Chris Brookes & Kid Lykos (and Mark Haskins??) pulling out of a TIDAL show they were booked for in Leeds at the end of July in order to do PROGRESS in Manchester that day instead.

And it's not that long ago that Matt Riddle pulled out of PCW in order to do PWG Mystery Vortex (though there were suggestions PCW knew about that some time before and didn't announce it to fans until the day, but who knows).

Now, you'll never find me thinking that talented wrestlers should be prevented from occasionally withdrawing from certain events in order to take up rare opportunities to advance their careers and possibly move on to bigger things.  This is their job; their livelihood.  For example, to do a WWE tryout, or the BOLA tournament, which is probably the indie wrestling showcase event of the year with plenty of eyes on it, and possibly a route into the top US indies, Japan and even WWE.  You'd at least hope that the wrestlers went to the promoter that originally booked them and asked to be released from their booking rather than just saying "Nah, I'm not doing your show any more". If the original promoter recognises the opportunity at stake for that wrestler, you would expect that they would reasonably let them go.

What it is, though, is incredibly frustrating for the fans who buy tickets to see these shows and be subject to all the line-up changes and cancellations.

While we do have an incredibly strong scene at the moment, with more decent quality shows taking place all over the country every weekend than at any time in my lifetime and British and indie stars making waves across the world, the success of some certain promotions in these thriving times (through their own hard work, it has to be said) has led to a hierarchy of indie promotions, with some elevated to a level perceived to be higher with wrestlers not daring not to work for them whenever they come asking.  There's only so many spots, so many merch table spaces and so many routes into WWE.  So if you don't do, say, PROGRESS whenever they call you at whatever notice, then there's always the danger that you won't get your storyline and won't get more bookings with them in future.  So, the power these promotions have seemingly ended having over everyone means they are naturally able to control who works and when, which leaves everyone else at their whim.  I'm not saying that's a bad thing or a good thing in the overall scheme of things; just frustrating for those caught up in it.

Just an unfortunate inevitability of the scene these days - it is what it is.

Cracking post

It's an absolute killer for these smaller promotions. They can't compete with the likes of Progress but how can they ever hope to if they can't depend on the bigger names to honour an agreed booking? Even if you've booked them six months in advance? 

And you point to a show having to cancel after losing six wrestlers - how do you come back from that as a promoter? Horrible position to be in and a tarnished reputation through no fault of your own. Imagine the shit a promoter would get for pulling someone off a show because a bigger star came along, and rightly so, but it should work the same both ways.

But you're absolutely right, a wrestler that doesn't withdraw from a small show to do a bigger show would be scared of losing a spot with them. Even if the wrestler offers to return to a future show for a discounted wage or getting a mate of similar stature to take the booking in his place, it would show some level of regret, but often it's just done with little notice and little explanation.

• Paid Members
14 minutes ago, Arn Anderson's Darb said:

And you point to a show having to cancel after losing six wrestlers - how do you come back from that as a promoter? Horrible position to be in and a tarnished reputation through no fault of your own. Imagine the shit a promoter would get for pulling someone off a show because a bigger star came along, and rightly so, but it should work the same both ways.

This is the biggest point for me - it's not the bigger promotion that gets the knock on their reputation, despite them arguably being in the wrong. It's the smaller promotion that will be seen as having let down their fans, and will be left scrabbling for a replacement, sometimes at extremely short notice.

I don't know what the solution is. Ideally, I'd say that a promotion knowingly booking talent that have taken a booking elsewhere on the same date, or wrestlers pulling out of a show to take another booking, should have some moral imperative to help the smaller show find a suitable replacement. But that's a level of cooperation that doesn't come easily to wrestling.

Edited by BomberPat

• Paid Members

Are there any Fozzy fans that aren't also wrestling fans? I've yet to see one. Every single person on Twitter that Jericho RT's about Fozzy is a wrestling fan.

Edited by herbie747

• Paid Members

The Kevin Owens documentary, filled with CZW and ROH footage, with guys like Steve Corino and Jimmy Jacobs extensively detailing his ROH career, and endless references to PWG, is so surreal to watch. It's a real testament to how much WWE has changed. The idea that they'd release this type of DVD would've blown my mind ten years ago.

Edited by Supremo