Random Thoughts III.

PowerButchi

• Moderators

It's better to let contracts run out than to outright release people in the eyes of shareholders or something apparently. Releasing people en masse looks like they need to cut costs.

• Paid Members
On 5/10/2017 at 10:09 AM, BomberPat said:

Ha, I remember seeing the VHS of Slant-Eyed Slaughter on eBay years back. Madness.

Didn't it come out the same time as PWI's video of one of the early Starrcades? Sure it was available over here.

• Paid Members
On 2017-6-8 at 2:49 PM, PowerButchi said:

It's better to let contracts run out than to outright release people in the eyes of shareholders or something apparently. Releasing people en masse looks like they need to cut costs.

That makes sense when they're listed, especially when most of the guys are on low downsides anyway.

On 5/9/2017 at 6:35 PM, Porkchopcash said:

Just reading through and old Apter mag from 1990. Theres a video on sale in there with matches from Japan called "Slant eyed Slaughter" 

Those tapes were crazily priced if I remember - like $59.99 for a two hour tape. Back then that would've easily been £30. I remember an ad for the PWI 'Lords of the Ring' tape which was about an hour long, at around $50 I dunno why US video tapes cost so much. 

Lords of the Ring came out originally in like 1985/86 IIRC and videos were highly priced back then. Plus something like wrestling would be premium priced too. Even Mania IV was listed as 59.99 to buy and that would have been 1988, 89 time frame.

Found this which has an overview about how VHS were priced back in the day.

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/archive/t-407404.html

40 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

Weren't US tapes a different format to European tapes too? I want to say that US tapes were larger

yes they were, i remember buying some early 90's WCW tapes when i was over in American, only to be disappointed when i got home and i couldn't actually watch them

They were NTSC format, recorded at a different framerate so wouldn't work unless you had a later VHS that was made to play both, I had some yank XPW videos that I (maybe luckily) couldn't play. I also vividly remmeber trying to play NTSC videogames on our TV and it would be black and white until we got a newer one that could show 60hz properly.

Lords of the Ring came out originally in like 1985/86 IIRC and videos were highly priced back then. Plus something like wrestling would be premium priced too. Even Mania IV was listed as 59.99 to buy and that would have been 1988, 89 time frame.

Found this which has an overview about how VHS were priced back in the day.

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/archive/t-407404.html

• Paid Members

Going back through some old ITV matches and Kent Walton says the following during a Johnny Kwango match

Johnny told me he enjoys going to the movies and he said he always wears white gloves to the movies. I said "Why's that, Johnny?" and he replied "So I know when I've got to the end of my choc ice."

The 1970s.

14 hours ago, JNLister said:

Going back through some old ITV matches and Kent Walton says the following during a Johnny Kwango match

Johnny told me he enjoys going to the movies and he said he always wears white gloves to the movies. I said "Why's that, Johnny?" and he replied "So I know when I've got to the end of my choc ice."

The 1970s.

Immense!  The wonderfully revered Kent Walton ... and I will bet that Kwango actually said that in the dressing room.