Random Thoughts III.

PowerButchi

• Paid Members

I keep seeing a clip from this week’s Total Bellas where Daniel Bryan sees a photograph of his daughter watching him wrestle for the first time at Wrestlemania and it makes him cry. It’s super endearing and I can’t help but wonder what went wrong. It’s such an emotional story, this should have felt like a huge deal for a long, long time. I can’t pinpoint exactly when it happened or even how they could’ve avoided it, but the way in which he became just another guy is absolutely criminal.

Am I misremembering, or was this the case for HBK’s return in 2002? I’m sure that felt special and built momentum for ages after his first match back.

Edited by Supremo

4 minutes ago, Supremo said:

I keep seeing a clip from this week’s Total Bellas where Daniel Bryan sees a photograph of his daughter watching him wrestle for the first time at Wrestlemania and it makes him cry. It’s super endearing and I can’t help but wonder what went wrong. It’s such an emotional story, this should have felt like a huge deal for a long, long time. I can’t pinpoint exactly when it happened or even how they could’ve avoided it, but the way in which he became just another guy is absolutely criminal.

Am I misremembering, or was this the case for HBK’s return in 2002? I’m sure that felt special and built momentum for ages after his first match back.

The first few months it was like that because he was really only back to feud with Triple H, once the Jericho feud started at the Rumble it got better

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Supremo said:

I can’t pinpoint exactly when it happened or even how they could’ve avoided it, but the way in which he became just another guy is absolutely criminal.

If he’d have just returned in ring rather than the GM role for ages leading up to it, the fanfare might be much different. Far easier said than done though, who knew at the time he’d be returning in ring.

In reality, he’s not able to perform how he once did, and since he left there has been a plethora of high quality wrestlers, performing a similar style, coming through the NXT route. His exciting style is now common place in the WWE. He also left being the biggest underdog due to being pitted against the biggest heel/owner/boss. He hasn’t returned in ring at that level.

He’s fucking mint, no question about it, but his story isn’t red hot anymore, time doesn’t wait, he didn’t ‘need’ to come back and add all of those things to his slight demise as a performer, it was bound to be somewhat underwhelming.

However, I think that there is still time for him to stand out and be noticed as a top flight again if he wants to be.

I’ve personally got nothing against him being the arrogant and agitated heel he once was. Just pissed off with the YES chant and he’s a super heel. When the times right, look to turn him face if needs be.

Or have him be the underdog against Brock and beat him.... hmm

Edited by Kaz Hayashi

Announcing his return to wrestling on Twitter the day before Smackdown didn't help. Missed out on a massive moment there. They should have had The Miz keep goading him for ages, knowing he can't retaliate. Then Bryan announcing he's been cleared to wrestle during a promo with Miz and seeing Miz's face drop when he realises he's going to get his ass kicked would have been magical.

• Paid Members
15 minutes ago, Daaaaaad! said:

Daniel Bryan will be fine when he leaves in September.

No chance. He's got a kid to support. As long as WWE want to pay him what he can only earn there, he stays.

You're probably right, but I dunno. Something makes me feel like he's tempted to leave. Perhaps because he's spoken openly of wanting to work in Japan again, or Mexico, but probably more that the indies pay a lot more than they used to. He has way more options available to him than he did when he first signed all those years ago; ROH are running at Madison Square Garden in April now and I'm also convinced he was preparing to be part of All In before WWE let him back into the ring.

Besides, money hasn't ever been his main priority and he's probably set for life if he wants to live a modest lifestyle.

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, KJHenley said:

If Bryan isn't a man with millions in the bank then something has gone seriously tits up. He should be fine to do what ever it is he wants to do.

He’s got the Bella show tv gig too, he’s not going anywhere 

If he still hadn't been cleared to wrestle when his contract ran out, then I reckon he would have gone. But now he's back wrestling he won't go anywhere. He just wanted back in the ring regardless of where it was. Before his retirement he was on something like $1.2m a year, second only to John Cena. 

5 hours ago, Supremo said:

Michaels didn't come back and wrestle every week. After his first match back at SummerSlam, he next wrestled at Survivor Series when he won the title, I think. And he didn't wrestle on TV often after that until he went back full-time the following year. We were sixteen years less jaded as well.

There was never any way that Bryan coming back as a wrestler was going to stay a big deal in and of itself. The whole story was about him being allowed to come back. It's like when Chris Benoit won the belt - for years there are cries of "PUT THE BELT ON BENOIT" or "LET BRYAN WRESTLE" but then once it happens, the story's over and the fallout from the moment is never gonna match up. Same when Bryan won the belt at WrestleMania, really. Vince has given in and let the thing happen that we've been screaming at him to let happen, and because of that, the rage is gone. As soon as Bryan was allowed to wrestle, attention turned to why Roman Reigns is getting title shots instead of giving them to the real workers like Seth Rollins and Finn Balor.

Basically, we don't give a shit until we've got something to get upset about. Bryan will seem special again if he doesn't win the Royal Rumble.

Edited by King Pitcos

Oh god, it was a nightmare last time and it’s going to be a nightmare again if he doesn’t win the rumble isn’t it? People were going on about him being “buried” because he didn’t win the ‘means nothing in the grand scheme of things, but at least Titus got a tshirt out of it’ Saudi Rumble, despite him lasting over 75minutes and only been back for 3 weeks.

And then he got “buried” when he lost to Rusev, who everyone was complaining about getting “buried” for getting Rusev Day over.

...buried

Edited by WyattSheepMask