Random Thoughts III.

PowerButchi

2 hours ago, tiger_rick said:

There was a piece on Transworld Sport last night (I didn't know they still made it either) about a female wrestler in Bolivia. She was a woman called martha who is apparently a big star in her local territory. They interviewed her in front of a big poster of Rey Mysterio. They showed some action with her battering a heel, a real little old woman. Fuck me, she was stiff. They both laid in unprotected chair shots to the head too. Chris Nowinski hasn't been up to La Paz recently.

I think that Simon Reeve chap did something about Bolivian wrestling in one of his shows, I've probably got it arseways and it wasn't him.  

• Paid Members

The WWF were running some really weird polls in 1995. I mean, I know the OJ trial was a big deal, but fuck me. During a Raw, the day before the verdict was due, they were running an "Is OJ guilty" phone in poll (50 cents of each call going to charity.) Vince, you crazy bastard.

• Paid Members
40 minutes ago, SpursRiot2012 said:

The WWF were running some really weird polls in 1995. I mean, I know the OJ trial was a big deal, but fuck me. During a Raw, the day before the verdict was due, they were running an "Is OJ guilty" phone in poll (50 cents of each call going to charity.) Vince, you crazy bastard.

Probably would have had him managing LT at Mania if he was available that day.

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, SpursRiot2012 said:

I watched that episode last year. I might be wrong, but I think the Not Guilty vote won. 

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

I respect and admire him, but is Big Dave committing Hollywood career suicide and if so, how long before his Wrestlemania comeback?

http://www.denofgeek.com/uk/movies/guardians-of-the-galaxy-3/59633/dave-bautista-calls-working-for-disney-nauseating

Great respect for the guy. Not many people stick their necks out like that. I know he's always got a wrestling career to fall back on (let's face it, WWE would have him back in a heartbeat, not to mention he could also make a shit-ton working Japan or the larger indies and conventions), but it's still nowhere near as much as he can make from movies, so fair play to him for being prepared to take the hit.

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Carbomb said:

Great respect for the guy. Not many people stick their necks out like that. I know he's always got a wrestling career to fall back on (let's face it, WWE would have him back in a heartbeat, not to mention he could also make a shit-ton working Japan or the larger indies and conventions), but it's still nowhere near as much as he can make from movies, so fair play to him for being prepared to take the hit.

He hasn't made "the leap" yet. Other then Blade Runner 2049, he still appears in lots of low budget stuff. He will probably still be able to do that regardless because he is a name and people will pay for it. He obviously has Vinnie Mac sized balls though and I admire him for his stance. The whole situation is embarrassing. It wouldn't surprise me if the cast open letter in support was Big Dave rounding everyone up and making them write it! 

• Paid Members

I haven’t clicked on the article above but I assume it’s in reference to the James Gunn stuff?

It’s interesting that we’re now in a position where celebrities are basically saying fuck you to companies the size of Disney. The #metoo movement seems to have given actors more of a voice. Which is great to see IMO.

Whilst what Gunn said was shit, we as a society have managed to forget that some people say incredibly stupid fucking shit, some of which at an attempt of edgy humour, no matter how dark, we really need to take context in to consideration, rather than crucifying one person for failed dark humour, but letting a sex offender run the USA.

While I will always think he’s a nob for saying what he said, because it wasn’t funny and was simply offensive, he has apologised for a very old failed attempt at being edgy. 

It’s intesting to see that Big Dave and his co-workers clearly believe James is a good dude and deserves a 2nd chance. Seems to have worked too, Disney are considering re-hiring him.

1 minute ago, Kaz Hayashi said:

I haven’t clicked on the article above but I assume it’s in reference to the James Gunn stuff?

It’s interesting that we’re now in a position where celebrities are basically saying fuck you to companies the size of Disney. The #metoo movement seems to have given actors more of a voice. Which is great to see IMO.

Whilst what Gunn said was shit, we as a society have managed to forget that some people say incredibly stupid fucking shit, some of which at an attempt of edgy humour, no matter how dark, we really need to take context in to consideration, rather than crucifying one person for failed dark humour, but letting a sex offender run the USA.

While I will always think he’s a nob for saying what he said, because it wasn’t funny and was simply offensive, he has apologised for a very old failed attempt at being edgy. 

It’s intesting to see that Big Dave and his co-workers clearly believe James is a good dude and deserves a 2nd chance. Seems to have worked too, Disney are considering re-hiring him.

The thing about it that boggles my mind is that there is no way Disney wouldn't have vetted James Gunn before they hired him.  So Disney must have known about the tweets and the initial backlash from them, but they hired him anyway.  But they took the cowardly way out and just binned him instead of supporting the choice they made hiring him.  They must have felt he was the right kind of person to direct a Disney branded movie in 2013...not sure what Gunn has done different in 2018? It's not like Roseanne where he is a serial offender.

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Dolph Pigglers said:

The thing about it that boggles my mind is that there is no way Disney wouldn't have vetted James Gunn before they hired him.  So Disney must have known about the tweets and the initial backlash from them, but they hired him anyway.  But they took the cowardly way out and just binned him instead of supporting the choice they made hiring him.  They must have felt he was the right kind of person to direct a Disney branded movie in 2013...not sure what Gunn has done different in 2018? It's not like Roseanne where he is a serial offender.

He even apologised for the tweets before he started filming the first Guardians so they were definitely aware. I think this was their way of cancelling GOTG 3 and cutting the expanding wage bill for people like Chris Pratt tbh. I'm guessing the film will be officially cancelled within the next few months 

• Paid Members

I don't think this will derail Batista's acting career at all, I love how outspoken he's been defending Gunn, I also don't think Gunn's career will suffer too much from this, the two of them should do what they would've done in the Monday night wars and fuck off together to the other side (DC in this case) and make Lobo or something.

• Paid Members
12 minutes ago, Bellenda Carlisle said:

I don't think this will derail Batista's acting career at all, I love how outspoken he's been defending Gunn, I also don't think Gunn's career will suffer too much from this, the two of them should do what they would've done in the Monday night wars and fuck off together to the other side (DC in this case) and make Lobo or something.

But that would give me cause to give a fuck about DC movies, which I lost all interest in post-Batman Vs Superman.

Edited by Accident Prone

• Paid Members
Just now, Accident Prone said:

But that would give me cause to give a fuck about DC movies, which I lost all interest in post-Batman Vs Superman.

I want to care about DC movies. In fairness, it wouldn't take much given the dross I've seen so far, but I'm more a DC fan than a Marvel one, so I'd love to see them turn it around.

However, I don't see that happening as long as WB are still in charge of it.

• Paid Members

When it comes to comics, I'm a DC guy. When it comes to movies however, I'm a Marvel guy. What DC have done so far in their rushed attempts to build a cinematic universe has not only killed my interest in their movies, but also any movies going forward as they'll all integrate into that shambles of background.