Random Thoughts III.

PowerButchi

• Awards Moderator
5 hours ago, wordsfromlee said:

Have they mentioned Trump at all on the show since he became president?

At Silver Vision Trump was not allowed to be mentioned in conjunction with the WrestleMania 23 match at all. A three line whip on that. Even the packshot on the website had to have Donnie blacked out*.

He must have some kind of clause about not being used promotionally (or more likely charging a fortune for each mention). 

*Not blacked up, as I nearly wrote. 

• Paid Members

Could Jake Roberts have come back as a heel in 1996? They went down the old codger's redemption line that was such a raging success with Bob Backlund in 1993 with Jake dressed in his pyjamas. They were screaming out for credible heels in 1996 though and with Jake's size and great promos, could he have been more effective as a despicable heel and a potential opponent for HBK in the summer when Davey was floundering in the role? Can't have been worse can it?

• Paid Members
11 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

Could Jake Roberts have come back as a heel in 1996? They went down the old codger's redemption line that was such a raging success with Bob Backlund in 1993 with Jake dressed in his pyjamas. They were screaming out for credible heels in 1996 though and with Jake's size and great promos, could he have been more effective as a despicable heel and a potential opponent for HBK in the summer when Davey was floundering in the role? Can't have been worse can it?

Depends how they would have built him. They basically brought him back as "Look at this old junkie and drunk, we're giving him a second chance but he has to hide his tits under a vest." But credibly built up, I'm sure he could have been a success.

I can imagine they'd have been hesitant in putting him in a major feud though, fearing he'd fall off the wagon again.

• Paid Members
14 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

Would Jake have wanted to be heel as he ‘born again’ when he came back. They did seem to hint at a possible turn the following year, but he left the company soon afterwards

Pretty sure he'd have done whatever for the job at that point.

Interesting point from @garynysmon on the stock they'd want to put in him but I think you could have given him a couple of months to build some steam while just cutting creepy heel promos until you had him murderise Michaels to set up King of the Ring. Funny though, it would have changed a big part of history had he done.

I always thought that snake he had the second time around was creepy as fuck too.

16 hours ago, BomberPat said:

you just know Vince McMahon must be desperate to get Michael Cole to say, "President of the United States of America and WWE Hall of Famer".

In that order?

Speaking of Jake and Bulldog in '96, there was a six(?)-man tag on PPV that ended with Jake submitting to an unusual and not-very-threatening standing crab/anklelock thingy. I've always wondered if that was the planned finish, as it came off as really abrupt and anticlimactic, and the weak-looking hold was never seen again. Did they just pick that night to trial a crap new finisher and then drop it when it bombed?

• Paid Members

I'm toying with the idea of, at the ripe old age of 31, going back to pro-wrestling training as a way to get fit and have fun doing it. I was surprised to find there is a training school really near to me. What kind of reputation does Hustle Wrestling UK have?

I know that the website states you don't already need to be in shape to get started there, but I know from my experiences of training at RBW years ago that I'll be in a much better position if I get some fitness together before starting.

Edited by SpursRiot2012

48 minutes ago, Uncle Zeb said:

In that order?

Speaking of Jake and Bulldog in '96, there was a six(?)-man tag on PPV that ended with Jake submitting to an unusual and not-very-threatening standing crab/anklelock thingy. I've always wondered if that was the planned finish, as it came off as really abrupt and anticlimactic, and the weak-looking hold was never seen again. Did they just pick that night to trial a crap new finisher and then drop it when it bombed?

April In Your House: Good Friends, Better Enemies from April 96. Bulldog & Owen v Jake & Ahmed Johnson  

Nipped into an Asda store near me as I was passing and the woman on the till had some issues with hair loss.  She was a large woman who had her hair tied back.  Honestly, she was the spit of Paul Heyman.

• Paid Members
42 minutes ago, SpursRiot2012 said:

I'm toying with the idea of, at the ripe old age of 31, going back to pro-wrestling training as a way to get fit and have fun doing it. I was surprised to find there is a training school really near to me. What kind of reputation does Hustle Wrestling UK have?

I know that the website states you don't already need to be in shape to get started there, but I know from my experiences of training at RBW years ago that I'll be in a much better position if I get some fitness together before starting.

I've been having a very similar thought in my head for the past year. Turned 30 in April and I've been making big strides in losing my beer belly and wobbly man-tits since May. I feel that, if I keep it up, I should be in decent shape come next April.

My nearest school would be Fight Club Pro but they're pretty full-on what with the direct involvement of Trent Seven and they have ties everywhere. At my age, I'm just looking for a motivation to keep fit, so I'm not looking at being scouted and making a serious go at things. I just want to train and maybe get a chance to wrestle once or twice a month. 

Would I be better suited traveling a bit further a field and training at a less ambitious company?

13 hours ago, Supremo said:

Do people think Finn Balor’s WWE career would’ve been much different if he hadn’t gotten injured after winning the Universal Title? I know he has his weaknesses on the microphone, but he still feels like a wasted opportunity seeing how over he is despite how badly he's been handled. Makes me wonder how things might have been.

I am a big Finn Balor fan but I will try and be objective. I don't think it would have been that much different. At the moment he is in the jobber to the stars bracket were he wins fairly often but rarely against the top guys and I think he would have reverted to that after a short title run anyway. I think he has been one of the bigger casaulties of Brock having the belt because he doesn't come across as a believable challenger to Brock in any way.

I was desperate for him to move to Smackdown as I think he could be a main event player there. I have no idea why he hasn't won the IC title as he seems like a perfect fit for it. I think he is definately the kind of wrestler that needs a belt - he was really good in his run as NXT champion. Also, I know the Demon makes little sense but I do miss it.

Pro's - Somehow stays fairly over, Sells merch, Kids like him, Consistent in ring performer, Decent Look

Cons - Terrible promo, No significant main roster feuds, Size, Injuries

• Paid Members
8 hours ago, Accident Prone said:

I've been having a very similar thought in my head for the past year. Turned 30 in April and I've been making big strides in losing my beer belly and wobbly man-tits since May. I feel that, if I keep it up, I should be in decent shape come next April.

My nearest school would be Fight Club Pro but they're pretty full-on what with the direct involvement of Trent Seven and they have ties everywhere. At my age, I'm just looking for a motivation to keep fit, so I'm not looking at being scouted and making a serious go at things. I just want to train and maybe get a chance to wrestle once or twice a month. 

Would I be better suited traveling a bit further a field and training at a less ambitious company?

Oh, yeah, it's not like I'm thinking of actually becoming a professional wrestler properly. I am nowhere near athletic enough. But I figure I want to do something "sporty", I like wrestling and I can already take a pretty good bump so why not do it? And if I should ever be considered good enough to actually wrestle in front of paying fans... well, that would be pretty awesome.