Random Thoughts III.

PowerButchi

On 08/02/2018 at 10:37 AM, WyattSheepMask said:

WWE Network has got a new episode of WWE 24 coming up entitled 'Women's Revolution 2'. With them putting much more time into the women's division over the last few years, first time women's matches and recently having them close out one of the biggest PPVs of the year, what do you think the likelihood is that they could make the move into combining the women's titles and launching a specific women's show (even if it is exclusive to the network), or would that be a backwards step in saying that they're not equal to male counterparts?

It’d be a terrible move. Taking a third or so of the roster from the current shows would mean even more overexposure of the guys who were left, making every show harder to get through and adding yet more weekly TV hours to the schedule. Nobody believes the answer to WWE’s problems is adding another weekly episode of TV.

• Paid Members
On 07/02/2018 at 4:09 PM, NoUseforaUsername said:

I can't believe Shawn v Bret at Survivor Series 1992 was the first WWE PPV main event without Hogan.

Mania IV? Or does that not count because he was ringside?

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Porkchopcash said:

Yeh it’s great. At the time many thought it was going to be Randy going over. A top match and a top Wrestlemania. 

I did. I think he would have if he hadn't needed the surgery.

10 hours ago, Mr Kennedy said:

Sumo match aside, it’s a very good Wrestlemania. 

I was convinced Orton was going over too and I wouldn’t have minded that either, it was the perfect time.

The build up all started with the RKO to Stacy Keibler didn’t it?

There definitely was an RKO to Stacey. But I'm sure the seeds were planted where someone (can't remember off the top of my head) was telling Randy he needs to make an impact. And Randy was then reading a Raw magazine and it panned to Undertaker being on the front cover. It might have been on that Japanese Raw episode.

And yeah, I was convinced Orton was going over at the time. Probably the only time where I believed that the streak would be broken before it eventually was.

Edited by The Maestro
For a laugh I guess

Wasn't the Orton match the first time they really made a big deal out of The Streak?

I remember thinking he should have won at the time, but it would have robbed me of what would become one of my favourite plot devices over the coming years.

I think it was the first time that they made it look like it was in danger of being broken. The first time that I can remember them referencing it as a streak was in his WM18 match against Flair (before that it was just a generic "never lost at Wrestlemania" remark) and between that you had the Big Show & Albert handicap match at 19, which coming off of two really good matches at the two previous Manias was a complete waste of Taker, and Kane at 20.

On 2/8/2018 at 5:20 PM, Bellenda Carlisle said:

Having women on only one of the big shows is the worst idea of all, it's nothing like putting the cruisers on one brand. I think the build of the women's division across all the brands and giving them more exposure and importance is one of the few things WWE is doing right. Raw isn't a men's wrestling show, it's the flagship of the whole company, a little girl can't go and not see any women's wrestlers. 

Ironically in the eighties when there was virtually no women's wrestling most of the audience was girls, now it's nearly all blokes.

I can't believe they've got enough to have their own promotion.Talk about bloat.

• Paid Members

Most of the people in the Mixed Match Challenge look like they're having a great time, which makes it a lot more enjoyable. Can't wait to see Charlotte & Roode's match.

• Awards Moderator
2 hours ago, jazzygeofferz said:

Most of the people in the Mixed Match Challenge look like they're having a great time, which makes it a lot more enjoyable. Can't wait to see Charlotte & Roode's match.

I meant to post about this, it's such a fun watch. All the teams are being more of their Instagram selves and as everyone who's not called Vince McMahon knows great stuff happens when you let them off the leash. None of the matches are MOTYC but everyone gets their shit in plus a few fun spots. It feels more like house show atmosphere. 

I went in with zero expectations but am having a ball with it. 

Slight different presentation style, but nothing earth shattering. They have Michael Cole tell you about watching it on Facebook Watch midway through the match with emojis and shit, but unless your watching it live it doesn't matter. I think Facebook Watch is only in the US at the moment, so if your watching on the network it's just a case of enjoying the match for what it is, which has been fun so far as others have said everyone seems alot relaxed

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, marc2j said:

The Goldust MMC match actually had me laughing out loud. Really enjoyable stuff. 

That one was a lot of fun. Strowman and Alexa are pretty funny as well.

1 hour ago, Your Fight Site said:

I haven’t watched any of the matches yet, but are they actually making “groundbreaking” use of social media in any way? Or is it just a weekly mixed tag match tournament that’s a “spin off” of the main shows?

I wondered aswell, what is so interactive about it?  The live comments and thumbs and smileys would just irritate me if I was watching it live and would turn it off.  I think "we" voted which member of New Day would be on the show, we voted who would start a match and we voted for a guest referee and we will vote for a team to advance who had previously lost soon.  But it's not that "interactive".  Surely us choosing all the teams would have made it more interactive.

I also noticed they've brought back the cameraman in the ring trick they did a few times years ago.

They've also miced the ring more than usual and the wrestlers have obviously been told to interact with each other in character a lot more than is normal.