Minor PPVs that don't deserve a thread *Spoilers*

tiger_rick

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

The idea of an 'Austin moment' was mentioned above - Stone Cold regularly used to do all that stuff Pat mentions there and became even more of a babyface for it!* Times have changed.

*not with me, but generally speaking 

I've got a mixture of feelings on this. It's obvious that WWE, with every new star, are trying to make a new Hogan, a new Austin, or a new Rock - The Rock was the archetype for a lot of Reigns' early promos, and for plenty of other attempted top babyface pushes before him; they wanted their top face to be a laughing, joking catchphrase machine. But no one else is The Rock.

So every now and then they try and make somebody more Steve Austin. But they forget that Steve Austin didn't become a star by being the next Hulk Hogan, or the next Bret Hart, he was just the best Steve Austin he could be. And they strip this stuff of all context, so they try and make a new Steve Austin, but it's the highlight package Steve Austin - so instead of a character who developed over time, and was defined by his history, and how he interacted with other characters, we get an angry prop comic who hates his boss, and sometimes commits vehicular assault.

The problem for me with Austin, and the Attitude era in general, is that it was a blip. It was a very brief period in time when the WWF managed to hone in on the zeitgeist, and present itself as something counter-cultural and edgy. But it was still a blip, no matter its success, it was short-term. But so many people watching now owe their fandom to that "era" that they consider it the norm, and it absolutely wasn't, it was the exception to the rule.

• Paid Members

I started a thread about this a while ago. WWE babyfaces are and always have been cunts. Right from Hogan. They don't know any other way to book. Because of the times, it worked massively with Austin and Rock. They seem to work on that principle now. It doesn't matter if the babyface is the aggressor along as he's blowing up shit or driving into someone.

• Paid Members

It's a broader issue of how WWE book babyfaces for me. The key difference between a face and a heel, to me, should always be that the face's way of resolving an issue is to beat the heel in the ring, while the heel will do whatever is necessary to further their own interests. While there are select instances in which a face attacking a heel outside of the match are acceptable, I don't think beating up the heel after losing to them cleanly is one of those instances. Nor should a babyface ever take disproportionate revenge over a heel. 

I think it's down to personal taste then. I mean Austin beat an injured Bret down mercilessly, including when he was tied to a stretcher in the back of an ambulance and the fans loved it. With Roman's history as a member of The Shield where they beat up everyone inside and out the ring for almost no reason at all it makes sense for his character as well as Braun trying to kill him weeks before...it's justifiable I think. I think it comes across more as Roman thinking "I have to try and kill this guy to stop him, not just win a match". And as a kid watching, I reckon most kids would think Roman crashing an ambulance with Braun inside would be wild, crazy and cool as fuck. I know I would have if I was 11 or whatever.

Almost all the matches set for Battleground feature an American against a non-American opponent:

1. Tye Dillinger (Canada) vs Aiden English (USA)
  2. Sami Zayn (Canada) vs Mike Kanellis (USA)
  3. Shinsuke Nakamura (Japan) vs Baron Corbin (USA)
  4. Jinder Mahal (Canada/India) vs Randy Orton (USA)
  5. Charlotte vs Tamina (Both USA) vs Natalya (Canada) vs Lynch (Ireland) vs Lana (Russia/USA)
  6. Kevin Owens (Canada) vs Aj Styles (USA)
  7. Rusev (Bulgaria) vs John Cena (USA)

Unfortunately for Team USA, the PPV is taking place in America's hometown so all the foreigners will be going over.

• Paid Members

Is it the Punjabi Prison tomorrow night? When do they resurrect the Kennel From Hell?