WWE Backlash 2016 *Spoilers*

tiger_rick

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ya know what, I give WWE some shit, richly deserved I think but the way they have cultivated this Heath Slater storyline has been tremendous, building to a great win tonight. Bravo WWE, you aren't always shit.

The Heath Slater/Rhyno stuff on the pre-show is good as well for anyone who has not seen it. You can tell both are so close to laughing at what the other is saying.

I accidentally saw someone moaning about this show on Facebook but I need not have worried after reading that. I was more arsed about AJ winning that match that anything since, well his match with Cena.

But seriously, he's a class above and it's impossible to not want to see him do well. I don't think anyone could accuse the crowd of being smarky with 80% of the crowd cheering AJ and booing Ambrose. Every time Dean came back with his offence it looked like utter dog shit compared to AJ's slick skillz.

The tag titles and women's results put a genuine smile on my face and The Uso's looked great in their new role. I'd love to see Roman with them in this demeanour and actually let Roman heel it up properly. The heat them three had back during the AJ feud was great, it has legs.

• Paid Members

Smackdown needs AJ Styles on top. As Supremo mentioned, Ambrose seems to lack the momentum you would hope your brand champion has. He's the best full timer in the company and has been since he popped out at the Rumble. Incredible, because I thought he'd struggle with the talking, as usual, but Styles steps up always.

Bit of a nothing show, in truth. Only thing memorable about the undercard is Alexa Bliss' entrance and them deciding people want to see Kane v Bray Wyatt again.

• Paid Members

Delighted that AJ won the title. Richly deserved for his form this year, never mind throughout his career. He's been the best thing on the main roster by miles ever since his debut.

I was glad to see Heath and Rhyno get the win as well. I thought they'd put the titles on The Uso's to have them as champs for their program with Alpha, but it might work out even better this way. You get the feel good moment on the PPV, then this week on SD! They could entice a rematch out of Slater and Rhyno, sneak attack Slater, and then beat and injure Heath in the match to win the belts, putting more heat on them in the process before American Alpha chase and conquer them down the line.

With Orton hurt I thought they did a good job with what they had available as a replacement. Wyatt and Kane was a decent match considering how poor they have been when working together before.

I thought the crowd was pretty hot but I watched the whole thing on my phone so that may have made it sound different. I missed the bit at the start of the show that said it, but where did this event take place?

EDIT: Meltzer on Observer Radio is saying Orton's injury was a concussion suffered from the Lesnar match.

This may create some discussion but whilst watching Styles I was thinking how enjoyable it is to actually see a heel on top of his game not revert to cheating (like against Cena at Summerslam) so if there was one thing that let me down then I would have preferred him to go over clean. 

Watching Styles at the top of his game really reminded me of Kurt Angle & Chris Benoit (sorry) all those years ago on Smackdown when both of them were at the top of their game. My memory is shit in this day and age but you got the feeling them two could win cleanly and still be the heel without cheating (Angle's Smackdown run not the first run). 

• Paid Members

Precisely. They've known the whole time, pretty much caused the injury themselves with stupidly asking him to take that beating, then advertised him knowing there would be a good chance he wouldn't be fit, and then put him in a position to get hurt again by delivering am RKO without being cleared to wrestle. Not good at all on their part.

Proper "feel good" show for me, in that you had two babyface characters get pay offs and new champions being crowned, along with AJ deservedly taking his spot at the top of the tree. Very pleased for Becky and the fact that they haven't prolonged the Slater storyline for any longer than it needed to be.

Thought the women's match was enjoyable and I was particularly impressed with Naomi and Carmella, they've some way to go but there were glimpses of talent there. Not her best performance but Nikki Bella is a fine wrestler.

Skipped the Kane nonsense so no opinion on that.

I wonder where Ambrose goes from here; you've theoretically got the standard 'heel wins by cheating and babyface heroically gets him back' story to fall back on, but I don't think Ambrose has the momentum or crowd support behind him for it to be effective. Bit boring to suggest it but a heel turn could spice up his act somewhat.

And finally, how refreshing was it not to have to spend over three hours on a PPV show? WWE is a lot more digestible in hour chunks and I found this show easy enough to watch the first half before my dinner and the rest after it.

• Awards Moderator

I liked this show. The main things I liked were:

- Becky winning. So happy for her, really wanted her to win it and so glad she did.

- Alexa :love:

- Maryse! Stunning!

- The Usos ditching the face paint and bright colours and going with all black for their new meanness.

- Slater and Rhyno winning! That's the result I wanted and it's great they actually did it. I expect the Usos to take the belts on SmackDown this week to set up them vs Alpha but that's fine.

- AJ Styles is WWE Champion. A sentence I never thought I'd write, and one I'm so pleased I get to write. Amazing. AJ Styles is WWE Champion!

• Awards Moderator

Lots to enjoy but I was starting to get really annoyed by all the pin break-ups in the women's Elimination match.

Fair play to the Usos not only changing up their gear and entrance but also adapting their style. Looking forward to this run.

I really enjoyed Backlash.

Women's match was pretty good, (few botches aside), with pretty much everything else being decent as well. The only change I would have made is make the "second chance" tag match, have Ascension and Vaudevillians in there as well, just to span it out a bit. Main was decent, and as many others have pointed out, AJ styles is champion. Christ hah.

Did anybody else also feel like this was its own little promotion as well? I know that's the point of the brand extension, but this really did feel different to RAW, for me at least, and I enjoyed it a lot.

• Paid Members

I enjoyed the show too, though I was a bit worried that Richmond booed Ambrose in places.

- Alexa :love:

Wow, yes. My heart belongs to Becky but other parts disagreed.

Archived