WWE Backlash 2016 *Spoilers*

tiger_rick

• Paid Members

So the name. Backlash. Obviously named because fans of a certain age still romanticise about Backlash, for obvious reasons. It used to make sense as the PPV after WrestleMania. Now, it's just a name. Furthermore, the little ad for it before Network videos shows it as "BACK ASH" before the "L" swings into place. No idea why, but that irritates me. Still "BACK ASH" would be more fitting a name for this tripe.

The poster is decent:

Backlash_2016_Poster_zpsrknotowm.jpg

I wanted to try and make these threads so those who don't watch WWE can watch the "PPV" with a bit of knowledge and join in the conversation. Warning: If you read this thread, you won't want to watch this "PPV". Not even a little bit.

Dean Ambrose © vs. AJ Styles (WWE World Championship)

deanaj_zpsbvmz4apu.jpg

That image is fitting for the build to this match. The last two weeks have been built around each guy getting hit in the nads. A build that has made most fans feel like they've been kicked in the bollocks too.

Neither guy has any momentum at this point. AJ has gone super cold after his win over John Cena. His promos aren't fun and it's meant nothing in the grand scheme of things. Ambrose is the same as ever but he's working with scraps and also feels cold. They were able to overcome that with the Ziggler feud but they haven't here. This match might be Reddit's wet dream, I don't know, but it's doing nothing for me.

I hope AJ wins. They need to freshen things up at the top of the card and it might give him a little spark. Why on earth they split up AJ from Gallows & Anderson, I'll never know. Because it's hurt both acts. There is no video to whet your appetite for this one because nothing good has happened.

Womens Six Pack Challenge (WWE Smackdown Women's Championship)

This is probably the best built match on the show while that that isn't really a compliment, I am looking forward to this more than most on the show. Or at least I was until the sloppy 6-man on the go home show. Carmella turning heel has given her some oomph and so far, Nikki Bella has been the whipping boy (or girl) which is a different dynamic for her too.

I think the title should be a vehicle for Becky Lynch to reign supreme but they do like a chase so it wouldn't surprise me if they put it on Natalya or even Carmella. I think that would be wrong though. Becky has been chasing for too long, beaten too often and turned on too many times to be credible much longer. They need to crown her now, IMO.

I don't half wish WWE's male wrestlers put as much effort into themselves as the women. The women seem to get proper theme songs rather than generic music. They rotate their gear, play with their hair, etc. They just put more effort into changing things up more often. Plus they seem to have far more pyro!

For those who don't watch regularly, the six competitors (left to right below) are Carmella, Naomi, Becky Lynch, Nikki Bella, Natalya and Alexa Bliss.

womens6_zpsizp3ij5c.jpg

The Usos or Hype Bros vs. Heath Slater and Rhyno (WWE Smackdown Tag Titles)

So they ran a tournament between the miniscule amount of good tag teams on Smackdown. Bracket was:

sdtournament_zpsnaypcbgt.jpg

Then on the go home show, the Usos turned and destroyed American Alpha in a cracking angle:

That's put American Alpha out of the tournament final so the losing semi-finalists get another shot. It's clear to see why. They want American Alpha to be the team chasing the gold but don't want them losing. So they've got an excuse and the Usos have heat going into the PPV. UI expect them to win now and AA to chase them which is the best SD has to offer so I'll happily go with that.

Heath Slater's story since the draft has been fun but it just doesn't translate to the matches. People don't really care. He's a great talker though. They'd be better off having him leading a group of guys people do invest in once the bell rings..

The "semi final" and final will both be on the PPV.

The Miz © vs. Dolph Ziggler (WWE IC Title)

For the second show running, the IC title really is an afterthought. They transitioned Ziggler from losing to Ambrose into this feud right away and it feels like the demotion it is. Miz hasn't been able to gain any momentum from that brilliant promo on Talking Smack so this is just another meaningless IC Title match with a really cold challenger. What I don't get is why when Ziggler calls The Miz a coward on SD, he just backs away and smiles. Yet when Bryan called him it, it lit a fire under him. Such a shame.

Randy Orton vs. Bray Wyatt

I'm still enjoying Orton. His little tale below is a confident promo but the rest of this "feud" has been the usual Wyatt fare. I've said it before that I'll be the last Bray Wyatt fan left and it's true because this guy has the fucking lot but when others argue that his promos and feuds are meaningless, I cannot disagree. Not of it means anything because its directionless tosh. They've no idea what to do with him. So he'll just lay down for Orton who I hope will go on to challenge Styles. Seems like that's Smackdown's best fresh match right now.

That's it for now. A whole six matches. Rather than adding more meaningless matches or a load of promo time, I'd prefer these single brand shows to be 2 hour specials. It won't though, there'll be a top up of tosh before the week is out.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As long as they get the belt off that slimy looking cunt Ambrose I will enjoy it the show and it's served it's purpose. Let him slowly flip his shit over the next few months and eventually transform more into the developmental Ambrose, Black trunks, black boots, serious shit, have him attack Shane or something. fucking pissing about with spilt coffee and plants and shit jokes.

I have very little interest in the rest of the card, I'm an Orton fan but don't like watching Bray, I can't get on board at all.

Looking forward to this. I have to disagree about AJ Styles as I think he's been the best part of WWE recently and is looking great at the moment. The only problem is Ambrose just being so fucking dull as champion. When they air the vignettes for Ambrose with all the weapons and scars he comes across as a hardcore style champion. However just has sloppy matches especially the one last week with Baron Corbin which was rather poor. Hoping they take the belt off Ambrose now. Well deserved but not ready.

Hoping Slater/Rhyno grab the tag team belts. American Alpha are great but I think straight away winning the belts would be too quick for the lads.

Miz is the second best thing in WWE right now. Ziggler however is the worst thing in the WWE. I haven't been able to get behind the bloke since 2011. Shame as he can be good.

Women's Division on SmackDown is better than RAW. I hope Becky Lynch grabs the belt for a brief run.

Personally I'm really looking forward to this even if I do end up skipping most of the card.

Firstly there's a decent chance that AJ Styles of all people is going to win the WWE Championship. That's bloody monsterous. Secondly I'm incredibly curious with how the women's elimination chamber is going to unfold.

As a 'c level' ppv I reckon there is enough to hold an hour of my interest.

Edit: seems the site I read the results on mistakenly said elimination chamber for the women's title. Balls... I was intriqued by that.

• Paid Members

Personally I'm really looking forward to this even if I do end up skipping most of the card.

Firstly there's a decent chance that AJ Styles of all people is going to win the WWE Championship. That's bloody monsterous. Secondly I'm incredibly curious with how the women's elimination chamber is going to unfold.

As a 'c level' ppv I reckon there is enough to hold an hour of my interest.

It's just an elimination match isn't it?Or have I missed something?

• Paid Members

I don't think WWE would use December To Dismember again as it would remind everyone of their worst PPV ever.  It probably knocked KOTR '95 into the second worst PPV slot.

IYH 4 is worse than KOTR 95. IYH 12 is too. December really is a shit month for the WWF.

Archived