WWE Backlash 2016 *Spoilers*

tiger_rick

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought the show was very enjoyable and a lot easier to digest than some of the recent pay-per-views. I thought the whole point of PPV's was to have PPV quality matches that tell a story and that's what happened at Backlash. There were one or two decisions that I didn't like but I think as far as results go, it was as right as they could have got.

I didn't really like the order of eliminations with the Women's match but that might be because I'd like to see a lot more of Alexa Bliss than Natalya. And after her stint on the kickoff show where they were building Bliss' attitude up, to have her go out first was a bit of a let down. Naomi and Natayla's head scissor spot on the ropes was a disaster. I think they could have gone Nikki to be eliminated first then her cost Carmella and have those two fighting to the back. Then get rid of Natalya, then Naomi and then have a Bliss/Lynch final. Made up Becky won though, thoroughly deserved. 

Uso's beating the Hype Bros was expected. And thankfully it was a clean victory. Even though they're heel now, Jimmy and Jey should not need any shenanigans to beat Ryder and Rawley. I was dreading WWE going back to their old favourite "twin magic" at some point, like they did endlessly with the Bella's.

Miz is still the IC champion, which can only be a good thing. Once he didn't win with the figure four, I was expecting him to put the Yes (LeBelle) Lock on to continue the mocking of Daniel Bryan. If WWE never clear Bryan to wrestle again then I think it'll be Kendrick who takes the title Miz. They built his and Bryan's friendship up too much on the Cruiserweight Classic for it to just end on that show. Ziggler lost.

Speaking of Tag Teams, Heath Slater has a Smackdown contract because he and Rhyno beat the Uso's in what was probably the biggest surprise for me. I was expecting them to carry on Heath's free agent storyline for a lot longer until everybody was bored of it then give him the contract. Thankfully they didn't. I'm interested to see what happens now he's got a contract though. Because the tag team feud everybody is expecting is the Uso's and American Alpha, while no other team on the SmackDown roster is really a threat to Beauty and the Man Beast. I wouldn't be surprised to see Heath turn on Rhyno this Tuesday, putting him out of action so he can carry on with his political career. And Heath claiming he just used Rhyno all along to get his contract. Now he's got it, he's out for himself and right off the bat, challenge AJ.

Kane and Bray, called it as soon as Orton was unable to compete. They're obviously building Kane up again, for whatever reason. I mean, don't get me wrong, I've always liked Kane but at this point of his career he shouldn't be getting the sort of push he is. He also shouldn't be going over Bray Wyatt even with help from Orton. Although if this was to lead to Orton and Kane teaming on a permanent basis as the "Authority's Old Boys" then I could accept it a lot easier. Once Orton made his way to the ring, it was the perfect opportunity for Rowan to turn up and save Bray, allowing him to get his win over Kane. Keep the feud going till Survivor Series and have a four on four Survivor Series match, Bray begs Bryan and Shane for them to allow him to bring outside help in, calling up Strowman from RAW to have the Wyatt Family in it's entirety back - Bray, Harper, Rowan, Strowman. So Kane, Orton and fuck it Ziggler cos there's sod all else he'll be doing, say they've got outside help to - gong - it's The Undertaker!

Main event was great, I thought they were going for a count-out finish at one point leading to either a cage match or No DQ at No Mercy. But  they went with a proper ending and although the low blow gives Ambrose reason to complain, it was the right call to have AJ win. Could this all be leading to some sort of confrontation at the Rumble between him and Owens? This year's Rumble, AJ debuted and was eliminated by Owens, next year's Rumble they're going into the event as champion of their respective brand (hopefully). 

Again, very enjoyable show. 

• Paid Members
Speaking of Tag Teams, Heath Slater has a Smackdown contract because he and Rhyno beat the Uso's in what was probably the biggest surprise for me. I was expecting them to carry on Heath's free agent storyline for a lot longer until everybody was bored of it then give him the contract. Thankfully they didn't. I'm interested to see what happens now he's got a contract though. Because the tag team feud everybody is expecting is the Uso's and American Alpha, while no other team on the SmackDown roster is really a threat to Beauty and the Man Beast.

My guess is that the Usos win the titles pretty soon, maybe even this week, in cheating fashion. Bit like Ryder winning the IC title at Mania- gives the feel-good moment on PPV, but then quickly moving the title(s) onto who needs it for storyline purposes. Slater and Rhyno don't need them long-term. Perhaps even a Rhyno turn on Slater?

• Paid Members

I haven't watched Smackdown since the draft, but this was an enjoyable show. AJ as champion was the right call, he's got all the momentum in the world, whereas Ambrose feels super cold, for whatever reason. I wonder if a heel turn might return him to his former glory.

The main thing I felt watching the show, particularly during the Kane vs. Wyatt match, is that the Smackdown roster is in desperate need of a few NXT call ups. It seems to fit into storylines, too. Eventually, in a month or so, have Daniel Bryan snap and bring in Samoa Joe to murder The Miz.

• Paid Members

The main thing I felt watching the show, particularly during the Kane vs. Wyatt match, is that the Smackdown roster is in desperate need of a few NXT call ups. It seems to fit into storylines, too. Eventually, in a month or so, have Daniel Bryan snap and bring in Samoa Joe to murder The Miz.

I'm hoping this happens, but with Nakamura. Then Nakamura can re-hash his NJPW Intercontinental champion reign, making the title mean just as much (if not more) as the big belt.

I think NXT can definitely spare one of their top guys at the moment as well. They have Roode, Joe and Nakamura who would all be very welcome additions to either main roster. Plus, NXT doesn't need all three of them.

Apart from Naomi and Natalya's truly awful headscissors spot I actually enjoyed the women's match much more than I thought I would. Plenty of great action from start to finish and the right woman went over in the end. I would've preferred Alexa Bliss lasted just a bit longer though, especially with how great she looked with those pigtails but that really is a minor gripe. I'm still not 100% sold on Carmella but she looked her best here (so far) and I liked the story they told with her and Nikki Bella.

AJ Styles in WWE World Champion and it still sounds so surreal saying it. I really can't express enough how chuffed I am for him. Following his entire career and seeing his astounding rise to the very top of the industry over the past couple of years has been an absolute joy. I imagine there's really only one thing left for Styles to achieve and that's a Wrestlemania main event perhaps ? It may not ever happen but for now AJ Styles really is the best wrestler in the world, isn't he ?

Heath/Rhyno vs Usos was another highlight and everything else served its purpose. Overall a solid show I thought.

The PPV as expected was nothing special but I actually enjoyed the women's 6 pack match it was also good to see Becky victorious. Ambrose V Styles wasn't as good as I thought it could've been but I expect their feud will last until Survivor Series. I wasn't arsed about Kane replacing Orton as I'm not a fan of the viper anyway.  

Becky's win guarantees she's going to lose it to Eva Marie in my opinion.

Story of hard work, the years of sacrifice, FINALLY winning the big one... loses it to Eva Marie. HEAT!!

I actually think that'd be great. As happy as I am that Becky finally won "the big one" I feel she's better utilized as the plucky underdog who's chasing a title.

Enjoyed the main event, Styles is in a class of his own at the moment. Ambrose is dogshit in the ring though so glad the belt is off him.

Liked the Miz/Daniel Bryan exchange.

Even enjoyed the divas match. Much better than expected.

Tag title match had a good outcome also, even if the titles will probably change hands again in the next week.

Archived