WWE Backlash 2016 *Spoilers*

tiger_rick

• Members

This may create some discussion but whilst watching Styles I was thinking how enjoyable it is to actually see a heel on top of his game not revert to cheating (like against Cena at Summerslam) so if there was one thing that let me down then I would have preferred him to go over clean. 

Watching Styles at the top of his game really reminded me of Kurt Angle & Chris Benoit (sorry) all those years ago on Smackdown when both of them were at the top of their game. My memory is shit in this day and age but you got the feeling them two could win cleanly and still be the heel without cheating (Angle's Smackdown run not the first run). 

I feel entirely opposite I reckon the end was a perfect piece of opportunistic cheating, which is exactly what I've come to expect from the WWE AJ Styles. I never want to feel like a heel champion is there because he's better than everyone else, I want to feel like he's only holding the belt because he bends the rules. I don't want the audience given any excuse to feel like they can endorse him because he didn't win fairly. It's the same as the "You deserve it" chants at Owens, after Triple H had gifted him the win. He bloody doesn't deserve it! Cannot stand that shite.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

This may create some discussion but whilst watching Styles I was thinking how enjoyable it is to actually see a heel on top of his game not revert to cheating (like against Cena at Summerslam) so if there was one thing that let me down then I would have preferred him to go over clean. 

Watching Styles at the top of his game really reminded me of Kurt Angle & Chris Benoit (sorry) all those years ago on Smackdown when both of them were at the top of their game. My memory is shit in this day and age but you got the feeling them two could win cleanly and still be the heel without cheating (Angle's Smackdown run not the first run).

I feel entirely opposite I reckon the end was a perfect piece of opportunistic cheating, which is exactly what I've come to expect from the WWE AJ Styles. I never want to feel like a heel champion is there because he's better than everyone else, I want to feel like he's only holding the belt because he bends the rules. I don't want the audience given any excuse to feel like they can endorse him because he didn't win fairly. It's the same as the "You deserve it" chants at Owens, after Triple H had gifted him the win. He bloody doesn't deserve it! Cannot stand that shite.

Cracking post, AA.

• Paid Members

Cracking post, AA.

You deserve it, AA.

Loved the Slater/Rhyno/Renee segment backstage.

On the talk about AJ being one of three to win both the NWA and WWE Titles, when you consider that the WWE World Title is supposed to be a combination of the WWE Title and the World Heavyweight Title, Christian only misses out on a technicality.

Lots to enjoy but I was starting to get really annoyed by all the pin break-ups in the women's Elimination match.

This kind of thing annoys me too. Worst is in battle royals when someone's about to get dumped over the ropes until someone - not even an ally of any sort - interrupts. At least in a Six Pack Challenge you can feebly put it down to a wrestler's instinct taking over, or something.

Also, it wasn't as simple as 'Kane beat Bray'. Randy Orton, his current active feud, cost him the match.

The narrative coming out of it isn't 'Bray lost', it's 'Randy cost him', and is an easy way of continuing their feud.

The only reason it stands out that he lost this one is that they've spent ages having him lose matches he actually does need to win. In a vacuum, last nights booking makes perfect sense.

On another note, their match wasn't completely terrible. Which is a huge step up from Brays PPV debut, where they had the worst match in the history of everything ever. So, there's that.

All of this.

Loved the Slater/Rhyno/Renee segment backstage.

On the talk about AJ being one of three to win both the NWA and WWE Titles, when you consider that the WWE World Title is supposed to be a combination of the WWE Title and the World Heavyweight Title, Christian only misses out on a technicality.

Lots to enjoy but I was starting to get really annoyed by all the pin break-ups in the women's Elimination match.

This kind of thing annoys me too. Worst is in battle royals when someone's about to get dumped over the ropes until someone - not even an ally of any sort - interrupts. At least in a Six Pack Challenge you can feebly put it down to a wrestler's instinct taking over, or something.

I just see it that they want to be the one to make the elimination themselves, rather than sit back and let someone else do it.

There's got to be a gap between your top heel and any old tights-grabbing shitarse and not every heel title win/defense has to/should be through shenanigans. AJ, though, beat Cena clean at Summerslam and will never let us forget it. The nuts kick tied in well with the 'story'. Let's not forget Dean isn't Cena and isn't untouchable, a clean loss could've quite hurt him. No complaints here

There's got to be a gap between your top heel and any old tights-grabbing shitarse and not every heel title win/defense has to/should be through shenanigans. AJ, though, beat Cena clean at Summerslam and will never let us forget it. The nuts kick tied in well with the 'story'. Let's not forget Dean isn't Cena and isn't untouchable, a clean loss could've quite hurt him. No complaints here

I felt in the Backlash match at least, AJ didn't have to cheat to beat Dean, he CHOSE to cheat. I think that's the subtle difference here. AJ has all the ability in the world and could theoretically beat anyone on the roster but he chooses to be a knob and cheat his way to the top. 

Archived