Doomed anecdotal megathread #2

Sergio Mendacious

1 hour ago, Accident Prone said:

Who fancies a go at solving this riddle? It was included an email at work to celebrate July 4th;

"As you may know, July 4th marks the the day that congress officially adopted the declaration of independence, but also signifies  the alienation of lands to their colonial owners. 

The question: a compulsive gambler and chauffeur, this man played decisive role in concluding the events of Independence Day, but who is he?" 

I took the historic reference as a red herring, and have been looking at actors who played pivotal parts in Independence Day (yes, the alien invasion film) but I'm not getting very far.

Will Smith played kind of a gambler in 'Focus' but I can't find a film where he was a chauffeur (unless you count his role in Hitch as one...I guess?). 

Anyone want to throw any guesses out there? The pride of my team hangs in the balance!

Depends on the importance of "pivotal" there but Judd Hirsch was the lead in Taxi and the character had gambling problems. Played Goldblums dad in Independence Day.

We've got hedgehogs in the garden!  We put some cat food out for them then sit on the back step and wait for them.  Sometimes they don't turn up for dinner but they will during the night.  Lovely to see them and hear them!

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, lanky316 said:

Depends on the importance of "pivotal" there but Judd Hirsch was the lead in Taxi and the character had gambling problems. Played Goldblums dad in Independence Day.

That's a great answer! It might even have legs to beat our current answer which is Michael Caine; played William Pitt in Freedom: A History Of US, played a limo driver in Alfie and has had a plethora of roles that could have 'compulsive gambler' attributed to it

• Awards Moderator
3 hours ago, Accident Prone said:

Who fancies a go at solving this riddle? It was included an email at work to celebrate July 4th;

"As you may know, July 4th marks the the day that congress officially adopted the declaration of independence, but also signifies  the alienation of lands to their colonial owners. 

The question: a compulsive gambler and chauffeur, this man played decisive role in concluding the events of Independence Day, but who is he?" 

I took the historic reference as a red herring, and have been looking at actors who played pivotal parts in Independence Day (yes, the alien invasion film) but I'm not getting very far.

Will Smith played kind of a gambler in 'Focus' but I can't find a film where he was a chauffeur (unless you count his role in Hitch as one...I guess?). 

Anyone want to throw any guesses out there? The pride of my team hangs in the balance!

The ‘alienation’ bit might also be a red herring to make you go down the route of the film.

First person I thought of was Bruce Springsteen’s Dad. His song Independence Day is solely about his relationship with his dad and ends with a reference to Bruce moving out. And his old man was a bus driver and gambler.

But I’m probably stretching just to make it fit the riddle!

11 minutes ago, Ralphy said:

Turns out walking over 52 miles (as of the time of typing this) and going to the gym 3 times since thursday morning does indeed take its toll, i kinda feel like ive been hit by a bus and then punched in the spleen by mike tyson and hit with a blunt instrument in my hamstrings! 

• Paid Members

Turns out that going round a water park at night and stubbing the same toe twice on their concrete steps does indeed take its toll. 

Supposed to be going to the beach today, which is notorious* for concealed rocks under the water so what's the betting I bash it again?

*Slight exaggeration.

Nightmare fuel... BXDgSqo_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb

Spotted this in Blackpool on a visit a few years back in an arcade that hadn't escaped the 1960's but I didn't take a picture at the time. It was a prize to win! Who the fuck would want this?

Went this year and said arcade had been modernised and no sign of this monstrosity until going home. It was found stuffed in shop window near the central pier just hauntingly peering through any soul who passed.

Enjoy. 

1 hour ago, Devon Malcolm said:

What the fuck is it?!

About a 2 and half to 3 foot plush abomination of what's supposed to be Michael Jackson. The funny thing is that this is version 2, the first ones I saw had a red jacket on and were strung on a rope 5 or 6 in a row like a horrific decoration. Fuck knows what was going through someone's head to produce 1 let alone manufacture a whole army of them. I worry for the psyche of someone who willingly wanted to win it and parade it home.

I've debated going back to Blackpool to maybe get one for Halloween but I would have to find a lock up a few miles away as I would not want that thing anywhere near my house. On second thoughts, nope. Nope. Nope. Nope. 

• Paid Members
30 minutes ago, Rule One said:

About a 2 and half to 3 foot plush abomination of what's supposed to be Michael Jackson.

Now I can sort of see a resemblance. Just goes to show you how terrible it is though that even a Jacko fan hasn't snapped it up, and after all this time as well.