Doomed anecdotal megathread #2

Sergio Mendacious

• Paid Members

Thanks for all your well wishes, people. 

So, I had the surgery. They put four screws and a plate in, I believe. I had the operation around 11:30 - was totally knocked out for it and didn't feel anything and don't remember anything, thankfully. I was told by the surgeon that, as I was having it so early, I would likely be discharged today. That now seems unlikely. They have to have a physio come see me and teach me how to use the crutches (I have like a temporary plaster on, have to come back in two weeks for a proper plaster, then another four weeks or more until I get a boot and can put weight on it again.) I also have to inject myself with blood thinning drugs every day for the next four weeks! Will hopefully be discharged tomorrow. 

• Paid Members

Hope all is well Jobber, sounds bloody painful. My brother broke his leg many years ago and spent his recovery time in hospital playing Columns on his Sega Game Gear. I hope you don't get that bored that you resort yourself to that.

• Paid Members

Thanks again, everyone. 

Just to follow up on what you said, @MungoChutney. Your injury sounds similar to mine, just above the ankle with plates and screws to put it back together. You were off your feet for 8 weeks? How did you find getting around on crutches? I've never used them before. I'm just wondering if I will be capable of doing a few things I had planned over the next few months. For instance, we have tickets booked for Oslo in December (although I will hopefully be in a boot by then) and tickets for sort of Christmassy activities booked for November 25th (when me and my partner officially start Christmas.)

I'm and concerned about uni. I was thinking after a week or so, or maybe two (when I get the proper full foot plaster) I could still go to lectures on the tube. Also my Spurs season ticket. Not sure how well I'll get around a football stadium, especially with those stairs and the crowds on public transport. Any advice you have in general would be great. 

• Paid Members

Just popping in after a few days away bar the odd message to just say thanks to everyone who left messages trying to help me out last week and talk through stuff with me. While I'm still struggling quite badly at work, they seem to think I'm doing a good job, which is probably just my anxiety and years of low self confidence holding me back. Hopefully this week's shifts give me a bit of confidence in what I'm doing. Managing to escape Hereford for a night to go see some old friends perform/work their first big stage show as well so that should give me a break as well. Thanks again everyone, honestly great bunch of people here who are willing to help when you need it.

@SpursRiot2012 I was able to do some stuff and not others. The worst pain was in the week before I had my cast changed to the lighter one.  Because you lose muscle mass on the affected leg the heavy plaster starts to weigh down on the ankle joint and I found that to be a nagging pain that switched to a shooting pain if I moved the wrong way.

I was off my feet for 8 weeks in the sense that I could go out occasionally but most days i was at home on the couch.  I could walk to the shops about half a mile away and back with the crutches after 3 or 4 weeks when I was in a lighter cast but it left me exhausted.  I don't think I'd have managed a busy tube or public transport but i was in cast the whole time with a soft shoe after 3 or 4 weeks.  The physio told me that it's much easier to get about in the plastic moon boot that some people get after a bit but I didn't get that for a reason I either don't know or can't remember.

My injury was the first weekend in December and I managed to get to the pantomime with the family a fortnight later.  I also managed to go to the Christmas carnival at the SECC in Glasgow onnthe 27th but the big crowd was quite hard to navigate and I had to use a wheelchair after the first few hours as I  was so exhausted.

If you can work the crutches well the it's much easier. I was ok with them but my coordination is a bit shite in general so I wasn't great.

Best of luck to you.  It might get you down at times during the recovery but remember that although inconvenient now there's much worse that can happen to you.

55 minutes ago, SpursRiot2012 said:

Thanks, man. That's very helpful. 

I guess I'll just play it by ear for now. I think the next two weeks all be almost certainly spent laid up at home in full. 

I also remember the doctor saying to me that you can't do anything more than wait and see how it heals for the first two weeks at least.  After that you can get an idea of how your body is coping with the healing process and timescales can be more precise.  It's actually quite a fascinating subject and I've been interested in injury recovery since that time.  Definitely keep us updated. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Glenryck Pilchards said:

Sounds like a right nightmare @SpursRiot2012 regarding your season ticket it might be worth contacting Wembley/Spurs ticket office about your situation. They may temporarily move you to the disabled/ easy access section of the stadium. You then will be able to use the lifts rather than the escalators and stairs.

@SpursRiot2012, sorry to hear about your injury mate, sounds awful. Hope you're back on your feet in no time and have a swift recovery. 

In a similar vein to what Glen said, it might be worth alerting your university to your predicament. It might be they can get you audio recordings or at least notes from the lectures you'll not be able to make for now, most universities are very strong on accessibility, so they should have something in place to help you out a bit.  

• Paid Members
On ‎04‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 6:16 PM, Devon Malcolm said:

What exactly is the "gay interest" here, I wonder? Do gay blokes generally have a thing for worn out adidas that have been used for games of football?

Come on, someone must have answer to this! I'm dying to know.

Is it just a random thing put on there to boost views, or is there a whole sordid scene I'm unaware of, like how being friends with Shane Stevens on Facebook led to me getting a bunch of friend requests from profiles with an intense interest in dodgy-looking screen-caps from World of Sport matches?