Doomed anecdotal megathread #2

Sergio Mendacious

I'm supposed to be going on a stag to Liverpool this weekend. The two best men probably have the worst organisational skills I've ever encountered. For starters, rather than asking the 15 people who were invited whether or not they could all actually make it and explained the probable costs, they kept everything a massive secret and then, about a month ago, announced they'd booked a house for everybody and requested £100 for the accommodation and £50 for go karting.

Inevitably, a handful of people then immediately said they couldn't come and were never even planning on coming, including our mate who lives in Australia who they also booked a space in the house for!

Anyway, yesterday one of the best men told everybody they need to pay an additional £60 by tomorrow to cover for the people who have dropped out.

I wouldn't be completely unreasonable to tell him to get fucked, would I?

13 minutes ago, Slapnut said:

I'm supposed to be going on a stag to Liverpool this weekend. The two best men probably have the worst organisational skills I've ever encountered. For starters, rather than asking the 15 people who were invited whether or not they could all actually make it and explained the probable costs, they kept everything a massive secret and then, about a month ago, announced they'd booked a house for everybody and requested £100 for the accommodation and £50 for go karting.

Inevitably, a handful of people then immediately said they couldn't come and were never even planning on coming, including our mate who lives in Australia who they also booked a space in the house for!

Anyway, yesterday one of the best men told everybody they need to pay an additional £60 by tomorrow to cover for the people who have dropped out.

I wouldn't be completely unreasonable to tell him to get fucked, would I?

Definitely not! I'd make sure you tell them where to go in a group of people rather than alone though - can you round up a few of the lads behind the backs of the organisers and agree on what you want to say?

18 minutes ago, Otto Dem Wanz said:

Definitely not! I'd make sure you tell them where to go in a group of people rather than alone though - can you round up a few of the lads behind the backs of the organisers and agree on what you want to say?

Two of the others who I'm closest with agree with me, but are going to pay it anyway. A few have alreay paid, and I'm not particularly close to the others. Financially, I think I'm the worst off out of them all, so I wouldn't be surprised if I'm the only one seriously considering just not going because of it.

Edited by Slapnut

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, hallicks said:

Re: quiz question, reminds me of those "add all the numbers" late night quizcall things where they just made up the answer at the end. Is there definitely something that links them all together? 

The prize fund has been adding by like 50 quid every week. This is the biggest jackpot ever, they always do different end games like bowling a strike (it's at a bowling alley) specific score on a dart board in a certain amount of darts etc it's just the guy that runs the quiz has been using this type of game on his radio show and tried it for the quiz. He's openly stated he never wanted it to run this long as we have some traditional games that run for Christmas each year he wants to start. You can win the money straight out if you get 13 out of 15 on the specific final round. Last nights winners got 12. Think he's hoping someone gets 13 so the game can just be scrapped as the jackpot will be gone. It started off great to work out links but now it's just got crazy. 

So, let me get this right. The question links 5 artists who have had Number 1s since 2000, and all you have to do is guess them? They definitely all have a link right?

How many guesses do you get a week?

I'd sack this quizmaster. Your bonus question should just be a double 'ard, random question with a numerical answer...Boo to him :)

• Paid Members

Definitely have a link it seems. Every team gets a go so it's around 15 or so guesses a week. In the first few weeks elvis and sam and the womp were got super easily. Just since then it's been a nightmare. It's definitely a case of everyone over thinking it. 

Quiz master is an absolute gem. He's been running it for over 10 years I think and is the first to admit when a game hasn't worked but its more if it's changed now to one of the classic prize games someone will inevitably moan about it. Quiz itself is one of the best I've been too in 4 or 5 different cities and always a fun few hours. Actual quiz prize is a gallon of beer that is won weekly then this money round that's a separate entity. As a now ex student 8 pints of beer is a bloody good incentive for a Sunday and a team of 2/3 people. 

• Paid Members

@Slapnut has anyone pulled them up about it yet?

Its a very similar scenario to something I dealt with. When it came to asking for the money I simply told them I couldn’t afford it. They then said “we’ll cover it and get it back”.. to which I explained “You will be waiting a long time as I’m broke and paying things off”. They said it wasn’t a problem and could wait severl months, so I reluctantly agreed. 3 weeks after the lad started contacting me loads asking if he could have the money and I said not a chance. It would be at least another 2 months. He apparently told the groom he wasn’t happy about it and I was fucking livid. The groom is pretty well off and without me knowing he sorted it out. Two months later when I had the money to pay back is when I found out.

If it was me I’d be telling them not a chance. It’s not your fault they’re useless bastards. Have you paid the initial amount yet, or do you still need to pay the full whack... that in itself is something to consider as I doubt you’d get your coin back.

30 minutes ago, Kaz Hayashi said:

@Slapnut has anyone pulled them up about it yet?

If it was me I’d be telling them not a chance. It’s not your fault they’re useless bastards. Have you paid the initial amount yet, or do you still need to pay the full whack... that in itself is something to consider as I doubt you’d get your coin back.

Nobody has pulled them up about it yet. Somebody has told me they probably won't be going as they can't afford anymore money. I'm basically just trying to figure out how I'm going to approach it before having a word, because I'm going to throw a fit if he tries to keep the £100 I've already paid.

• Paid Members

Stag and Hen do's can really fuck up friendships — a couple I knew from uni were getting married, and his deal was bad enough (guilting people to going to Cork for 3 days when most of us were on our uppers, just so he could exercise his plastic paddy tendencies), but she lost several mates when she insisted on a week in the south of France, and basically fucked off anyone who balked at that.

So my commentary is to tell them to go piss up a rope.

• Paid Members

Yeah, sod stag dos. I've been invited to one next year - it's in Birmingham, with go-karting and all the usual bullshit. I couldn't afford the deposit when the invites went around, and let the guy know, but never heard anything back from him. Now it's looking likely that I just won't be going. Luckily, there's going to be another smaller do in Jersey afterwards, so I'll just do that one.

I had to organise one years ago, had no fucking clue what I was doing, couldn't come up with a single good idea of what to do or where to go, and had promised the bride that it wouldn't be Amsterdam or anything with strippers or owt like that. We ended up going for a pub crawl on Sark - an island with three pubs.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, BomberPat said:

Yeah, sod stag dos. I've been invited to one next year - it's in Birmingham, with go-karting and all the usual bullshit. I couldn't afford the deposit when the invites went around, and let the guy know, but never heard anything back from him. Now it's looking likely that I just won't be going. Luckily, there's going to be another smaller do in Jersey afterwards, so I'll just do that one.

I had to organise one years ago, had no fucking clue what I was doing, couldn't come up with a single good idea of what to do or where to go, and had promised the bride that it wouldn't be Amsterdam or anything with strippers or owt like that. We ended up going for a pub crawl on Sark - an island with three pubs.

Sarktastic

• Paid Members

Brother didn't have a stag-do (He does have lots of friends, which i don't), but the bride had a hen-do as a big fucking pink limo was parked outside my house for about an hour.

Edited by bAzTNM#1