WHAT PLAY YOU!? Version 2.0

TildeGuy~!

• Awards Moderator
1 minute ago, Merzbow said:

Did Pokemon Go ever get updated to a stage where it didn't feel like an Alpha build? Don't get me wrong, it was still pretty great but it seemed to be far from a full release.

My daughter got into it this year and it crashes regularly. Still entertaining though.

• Paid Members

Gave a couple of the latest PSN free games a spin. Dungeon Punks is a sack of absolute shit, one of the most disappointing games I've played in years.

It's basically a Golden Axe rip-off, yet somehow clunkier, uglier and with worse controls and collision detection than the real thing, which was made nearly thirty sodding years ago.

Worms Battleground is alright, though. Only done a couple of levels of the campaign mode, but glad they don't seem to have changed any of the fundamental gameplay, and it still feels like Worms. Looking forward to playing it against mates.

Mostly, though, just been ploughing time into Mario Odyssey. What a beauty of a game that is. New Donk City Parade had me grinning from ear to ear.

Yup, just played Dungeon Punks for about 5 minutes before uninstalling, the worst side scrolling beat em up I have ever played

Other then that I’m playing the new call of duty and screaming anytime I come across a sniper online 

Edited by TildeGuy~!

• Paid Members

So Star Wars Battlefront II looks to be an absolute hoot, and EA are losing their minds about the reaction to it.

I'm not sure of the order of events, but this is a collection of shitty events by a shitty company.

1. Star Wars Battlefront II has an awful freemium-like progress system where content is unlocked through loot boxes in a random order. The game comes with a bunch of Heroes locked behind the in-game points system, including both Darth Vader and Luke Skywalker. They cost 60,000 points each to play as, and completing the campaign (5-6 hours long) will bag you 20,000 of these points. So to make up the other 40,000 you have to play online, however you earn apparently earn so few of these per match (I've heard roughly 100 tops) that it takes dozens of hours to essentially unlock the two main characters of the franchise. You can however buy the points with real life money, and this is encouraged if you want to play as these characters.

2. To avoid having reviewers shit on them, EA send reviewer-specifc copies to the media where the total points needed to buy a character is drastically reduced, This way the reviewers don't see this scam hidden in the game. However IGN must have severed ties with EA lately as they're not attending press events or getting review copies, so they get the bullshit retail version and in their review in progress state:

...Battlefront 2’s Star Cards may be one of the worst progression systems I have ever had the displeasure of experiencing in a PvP game. With the exception of new weapons, which are unlocked by getting a certain number of kills with each class, all class leveling, ability customization, and upgrading is funneled through a randomized loot box system with tediously high in-game credit costs if you don’t spend real money to skip over the grind.

...Undeniably, this system allows you to fast-track your path to in-game power with real money. But even if there weren’t any real-money microtransactions, this would still be a frustrating, unintuitive, and obnoxiously slow way to progress through a game. Pay-to-win or not, it’s just bad.

3. The EA Community Manager or someone like that from their PR Team goes into Reddit where people are already piling on this game and states the following:

The intent is to provide players with a sense of pride and accomplishment for unlocking different heroes.

As for cost, we selected initial values based upon data from the Open Beta and other adjustments made to milestone rewards before launch. Among other things, we're looking at average per-player credit earn rates on a daily basis, and we'll be making constant adjustments to ensure that players have challenges that are compelling, rewarding, and of course attainable via gameplay.

We appreciate the candid feedback, and the passion the community has put forth around the current topics here on Reddit, our forums and across numerous social media outlets.

Our team will continue to make changes and monitor community feedback and update everyone as soon and as often as we can.

This is now currently sitting as the most downvoted comment in Reddit History at about 650,000 downvotes. Admittedly now it's a running joke, but initially that score legit bombed downwards because of the pissy cop-out answer and the lack of owning up to just being greedy

4. Someone discovers that not only is it a grind to get points to unlock things, but they hit you with a maximum you can earn in a time and you have to wait 3 hours to earn more

5. On Twitter, EA staff call fans "Armchair Developers"

star-wars-battlefront-2.jpg

So an actual Developer creates a bot so those who have played the game can sit and earn credits without playing by having a bot twitch their mouse and mash the respawn button every 10 minutes.

6. EA slash the cost of Heroes in-game, but fail to notify everyone that they also slashed the amount you can earn. So now while everything costs less, you earn equally as little to unlock it. Campaign now rewards you with 2000 points instead of 20000. Fans realise this and the backlash continues.

7. So many people are asking for refunds online that not only do the poor EA chat minions sound utterly defeated

23602122_1862334217430338_107554965_n.thumb.jpg.94c271b084d0dc8292b847cd9f902973.jpg

but EA remove the refund button from their site to try and control the damage so now you have to ring them to get one.

There's probably more, but this seems to be the most furiously contested release of a game that I can think of and EA are handling it awfully. I quite liked the first game but it was super bare-bones and justifiably reduced to bargain bins sharpish. I was interested in this one until I heard of the progress system but it's far worse than I could have imagined and it seems nobody is really happy with it.

• Paid Members

Like you, I enjoyed the first one. It was good to just jump on and play online for an hour or so at a time. But hearing this drama, I have no intention of shelling out for the next version.

~£60 just to buy the game, and then I have to slog or pay stupid money to get anything worthwhile? No thanks.

On 11/11/2017 at 6:05 PM, Ralphy said:

amazing! i was thinking to myself just the other day while walking past a childhood friends former house who i had great memories of playing a copied version of syphon filter with just how good it would be if they could make another 

If they made a new one it would probably be open world and full of microtransactions.

Edit.

The Battlefront 2 backlash is glorious. Hopefully people are finally turning on the industries money grubbing bollocks.

Edited by The King Of Swing

I was going to ask "Are you Jim Sterling?" but he hates Zelda, I just watched him talk about the exact same thing. I'm glad EA don't release any games that I have any interest in so I don't have to buy from them  any longer, Mirrors Edge was the last one and they only went and fucked that up with a shit reboot too and let's not talking about The Sims 4..

Regarding Syphon Filter, it's a Sony game and they haven't gone down that route just yet.

• Paid Members

I just hope other developers, who you'd imagine were watching this unfold very closely, will reconsider any plans to aggressively go down the same route in future. The release of this game and the subsequent response could be quite pivotal in the history of gaming. If the reception had not been as fierce, I think this would have become the norm before long.