WHAT PLAY YOU!? Version 2.0

TildeGuy~!

• Paid Members

Got WWE 2K18 off the back of a good roster and a load of new/old returning modes. Sadly the single player is the worst it's ever been, and half the roster are locked behind the new WWE Credits system which you can't buy with real money and take absolutely ages to save up for. For example a 5 Star match (which you can't do in 2 player unless you face AI) will earn you roughly 200-300 credits, but the cheapest playable wrestlers are 3000 credits. So you're looking at playing 10 matches for 1 character and there's about a hundred of them and you can't do it with your friends.
Online is still a broken mess, Universe mode is still unfathomably pointless and complicated and has to be rigged by taking 90% of the roster out to make any sense, and the game promises a bunch of new features and modes and promotes "Be Like No One" but forces you to do things how they want it. You can get into the crowds but you can only walk and do punches, you can only places tables and ladders in specific places, you can create your own matches but only to very specific limited rules they have. For example you can't have a hardcore Royal Rumble or a cage match with weapons in, etc. 

This is the exact same game they've churned out the last 5 years except they put a huge roster in that would take weeks of non-stop play to unlock, which they say you can't buy with real money but is included in the season pass to unlock them all. They promise plenty of customisable matches but limit you massively, the controls are still slow and fiddly, often irish whipping in the opposite directions, not grabbing opponents and glitching all over the place. Huge waste of money. Don't bother. Doesn't deliver almost anything it promises on the box.

Trading it in for Wolfenstein today.

I only purchased 2k17 a few months back so I'll hold off on buying this until I can pick it up for about 20 quid. Even though I hadn't owned a console since the PS2 and Gamecube I still get the feeling that WWE 2k17 isn't a very good game, and not one worthy of the PS4.

I have WWF No Mercy for Android. That game still stands up. So much fun. 

• Paid Members

4 of us got together last night for drinks and a mate brought the game. He had everyone unlocked and said he paid for them, so there’s a way to do it.

We played the rumble, but for some reason once eliminated it wouldn’t let us select a new character. I think it could be a decent game but will take a while to get my head around.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Kaz Hayashi said:

4 of us got together last night for drinks and a mate brought the game. He had everyone unlocked and said he paid for them, so there’s a way to do it.

We played the rumble, but for some reason once eliminated it wouldn’t let us select a new character. I think it could be a decent game but will take a while to get my head around.

Aye you buy the ÂŁ20+ Season Pass for the Accellerator like in the previous years, but there's no way to buy the in-game currency. So essentially unlocking all those characters boils down to endless hours of grinding against the AI or forking up ÂŁ20.

@Merzbow yeah "Ultimate Control" it was called back then, only it was better then because you could do what you wanted with the opponent and the physics were still ragdoll-ish on the tables, weapons, stairs, etc. This year it has 4 moves you can do it with and it's extremely limited what to do with them.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Kaz Hayashi said:

Yeah, you fork out an extra ÂŁ20 or so for the 'deluxe' edition, I think.

Edit: what Lips said. I opened this thread an hour ago then posted before checking for replies...

Edited by PunkStep

No Mercy is still fun but god is it overrated, but I think that says more about wrestling games just not evolving in general. Is there another genre of games that's grew so little?

I've started the 2009 Wolfenstein reboot as I can't justify buying the new one right now, it's actually pretty good and it's a shame you can't legally buy it on Steam anymore.

• Paid Members
46 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

I am gutted there aren't any great alternatives though. Fire Pro is ok, but still...

Same here. You'd think there would be at least a few decent unlicensed wrestling games out there. Fire Pro would be great if that gameplay wasn't so inaccessible.