WHAT PLAY YOU!? Version 2.0

TildeGuy~!

• Awards Moderator
1 hour ago, Chest Rockwell said:

I always liked the balance of 2 player head to head in sonic; speed was ones of the criteria you could win on, but there were many, so you had to know what you were shooting for and not finish too quickly and give your opponent the chance to clear up on the other categories.

One of the best 2 player games ever. I was a master of sabotaging my opponent with the teleport. Bounce - pop - jump into spiky death pit.

• Paid Members
12 hours ago, BomberPat said:

A weird posh mate once really excitedly told me he'd come up with lyrics for the Labyrinth Zone music, and then sang them to me for an inordinately long time before I had to tell him that I had no idea what he was on about as that sounded nothing like the Labyrinth Zone music. Apparently it was the Game Gear version. Lyrics were a rubbish knock-off of "Satisfaction", if memory serves.

The Bridge Zone music from the Game Gear/Master System version of Sonic is some great music. It was composed by Yuzo Koshiro, who also did the Revenge Of Shinobi/Streets Of Rage trilogy soundtracks, amongst others.

Edited by jazzygeofferz

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, jazzygeofferz said:

The Bridge Zone music from the Game Gear/Master System version of Sonic is some great music. 

Interestingly (this is odd and again not interesting) me and a mate made a punk version of this about 15 years ago and we nicked Janet Jacksons lyrics from the 'Together Again' chorus.. listen to the hook on that and the intro to Bridge Zone. Uncanny.

Edited by Kaz Hayashi

• Paid Members

Yuzo Koshiro is an absolute God. I used to drop bits of the Streets of Rage 2 and Outrun soundtracks into DJ sets, they work perfectly.

One time, Igor Cavalera from Sepultura was playing the next room, so very early on in my set the place emptied out to go and watch him. The few people who remained were treated to a half hour set of nothing but songs from the Streets of Rage soundtrack.

Do you guys know Data Discs (https://data-discs.com/collections/all)? Old school game soundtracks on vinyl. I'd own all of them if I still had my record player - I wish they could offer digital copies with each release, but alas.

Edited by BomberPat

• Paid Members

Nice one for those links lads. We used to have a really fun hip hop night in Newcastle in the early 00's called whole beats/beyond words and we'd put daft shit on like 4 deck warfare, 4 DJs running around the 4 decks, mixing and scratching. Absolutely mint. However, one night stole the show. We'd also have open mic points for MCs, live Graf and break dancers. We got hold of a sound effects vinyl which had shit loads of hadoukens, punch, kick, grunts etc as samples. Unbeknownst to me, one of our regular DJs had arranged with 2 break dancers to do something a bit special. 

So he starts off with the street fighter intro, out of no where onnto the stage comes Ken Masters and Ryu... "Fight". They had only gone and choreographed a street fighter round, with the DJ dropping samples for the moves they were recreating.

Absolutley one of the best games related things I've ever seen and because they were breakdancers, it all looked fucking epic. Ahh man. One of them looks more like Rufus now.

• Awards Moderator
14 hours ago, Weezenal said:

Does anyone have a PS Vita? Any good playing the PS4 remotely?

Pretty good, but it depends on the game's controls. It doesn't have two rows of shoulder buttons so they can be a problem. The technical running of a game is good though.

• Paid Members
12 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

How did you get on with kid chameleon Kaz?

I remember going back to it a few years back and I found a map online that I printed out that shows what levels link to what levels. The complexity is astounding.

It was solid, but I'm running the cartridge through a retron 5 and I'm blaming that rather than acknowledging that a 10 year old me was better at hard games.

I persisted and got to the last level of stage 1 - before the boss and then had to tend to my young'un. Might have another blast this weekend, but I'll try it on the megadrive. Over 100 fucking levels, some of which are secret passage ways etc. Incredible game and one of the most underrated and in depth platformers out there.

• Moderators

Yeah, there's a shortcut to the end boss hidden quite early in the game and that's still the only way I ever beat it. Didn't even care though - it was so much fun and there were so many different paths through the game you could take.

Who's your most favourite and least favourite masks? The one that just makes invisible stuff visible is straight garbage, but unfortunately necessary for some levels.

Some of the most fun ones are the least practical, like the cyclone and the tank and the rhinoceros one. All around utility probably has to be the Jason mask.

Fuck, I'm desperate to play it again now after talking about it! Is there a way to play it on PC with a controller? Haven't used emulators in years, if some kind soul might perhaps give me an idiots guide...?

Edited by Chest Rockwell