NJPW World

Sphinx

18 hours ago, TildeGuy~! said:

Okada/Shibata tops the Okada/Omega match for me. Fabulous

Best match since Naito & Kenny at last year's G1 semi's, for me and parts of the Zack Sabre / Goto match were sublime as well. Only bothered watching those two and the Tag-Titles, but it made for very good viewing. I've pretty much been daring Okada to have a decent match of late and he delivered.

• Paid Members

Just seen on Twitter, but can't find any official confirmation that apparently Shibata was hospitalised with a bleed on the brain after the show and had to have surgery. Anyone heard anything on this?

EDIT - New Japan now confirming, sounds like he's on the mend

https://www.njpw1972.com/6670

APR.10.2017

#INFO

Update regarding Katsuyori Shibata’s condition

Katsuyori Shibata was taken to hospital due to poor health following his main event match on April 9th at Ryogoku Sumo Hall. He was conscious and able to communicate while being admitted to hospital.

After a medical examination, he was diagnosed with subdural hematoma and surgery was conducted as part of his treatment. He is now recovering following a successful operation.

Updates will be posted as his condition progresses.

New Japan Pro-Wrestling Co., Ltd.

Edited by mim731
Updated Information - source added

The Shibata head butt is gross, it's a great visual when he bleeds hard way and stares blankly into space though 

I have a feeling Shibata will win the G1 and beat Okada in the rematch at Wrestle Kingdom. 

Edited by TildeGuy~!

• Paid Members

Didn't Meltz mention that he believes it is a work? That's a bit near the mark for my liking. What with the in-ring tragedies we've seen over the past several years and careers cut short by serious injuries, some of which no doubt due to strong style, I think that's a bit of a tasteless thing to do. If it isn't a work, it just further underlines how this style really needs to be toned down for the sake of the wrestlers' lives.

It's not a work, it could end his career. i don't know how similar this is to what happened to Takayama but he was out for 2 years.

Given Meltzer's experience of watching wrestling and MMA for decades i'm surprised he's even mentioned it possibly being a work. Watch Shibata trying to walk back after the match he looks like he's had a stroke.

• Paid Members

Its not a work. Apparently he's going to have to jack it in. I have no idea what he was playing at with those headbutts.

What's odd is, it was only Meltzer who thought it was a work. No idea what the fuck he was one when he was making those statements, because it seemed obvious he was fucked up. Probably had 5 stars in his eyes and didnt take notice of suspected brain damage.

4 hours ago, IANdrewDiceClay said:

Its not a work. Apparently he's going to have to jack it in. I have no idea what he was playing at with those headbutts.

What's odd is, it was only Meltzer who thought it was a work. No idea what the fuck he was one when he was making those statements, because it seemed obvious he was fucked up. Probably had 5 stars in his eyes and didnt take notice of suspected brain damage.

Exactly, I thought in some ways it was slightly irresponsible to even mention it might have been a work. Dave and Bryan were the only two people who I've have listened to who have said this. Made me think what information, and from who they obtained such a take.

I took the post match news on Shibata seriously and not once did I think it was a work, this is New Japan current. It may have been used to further an angle in previous time, but this rumour of being a career ending injury truly saddens me. Shibata had it all, and I just pray that he recovers to some form of normality. I don't want to see any talent die in the ring like everyone else, but Gedo in my option seriously has to wonder when that moment might arrive by outlawing mindless moves like a headbutt for starters.

6 hours ago, IANdrewDiceClay said:

Its horrible that this has happened to someone,  but if it stops some of these Japanese and Indy idiots doing stuff like this then some good will come out of it. It's a stupid spot that isn't worth it. Daniel Bryan was an idiot when he did it at wrestlemania, this is worse and the people that do that kind of rubbish for TNA or the indies in front of 250 people are even more stupid. Hopefully he can continue to lead a normal life and won't defy the doctors and come back to show "fighting spirit". 

• Paid Members

Fucking idiots. I'm talking about Meltz and Alvarez for suggesting it was a work, AND the wrestlers in question. That's one of the biggest names in Japanese wrestling done- simply because of this silly strong style.

The entire industry seriously needs to step back and have a think. This isn't some freak accident that can happen in sports, this is a consequence of this careless style of knocking seven bells of shit out of each other to show the fans how 'real' this is. Retiring before you're 40, is that real enough for you?

This style is rife these days, no longer limited to Japan and a few Indies. New Japan, WWE, NXT, RoH, Evolve, Impact, Progress, Rev Pro- it's everywhere. People need to start working smart. Going back to basics to tell stories to the fans without resorting to pummelling each other in the head.

Lance Storm and Disco Inferno have been debating this on Twitter.

After Balors concussion, Disco was saying forearm shots to the head should be banned as the margin for error is too high. Lance says that they are perfectly safe if done properly and that the only reason they are dangerous is because the wrestlers delivering them have not been taught properly.

'Strong-style' has become ridiculous.