NJPW World

Sphinx

Forearm shots aren't done to the head though, are they? From what I learned, you should be hitting your opponent in the side of the neck, anywhere else other than that and you've just gotten yourself a dangerous worker. You have to allow wrestlers a bit of give, because a lot of the injuries are bonafide, genuine accidents - but stuff like this gets no sympathy from me. Clubbing your own skull into another mans skull until you cut your own head open is downright idiotic and outrageously dangerous. It was stupid when Nigel fucked his head into a ring post, it was stupid when Bryan did it at Wrestlemania, and it's still a stupid spot today. There's a million wrestling moves that could be used correctly to garner the same reaction, which don't involve you absolutely fucking up your livelihood, and physical health. 

As has been said there's nothing wrong with Strong Style if done by people who know what they're doing, like everything in wrestling. I haven't seen what happened to Balor but that would be proving the point, NOBODY should be getting injured from a forearm strike. I've been watching Puro for 17 years this is a very rare occurrence. 

Nobody yet knows how this has happened to Shibata, wear and tear of an 18 year career in wrestling and MMA? recent over use of headbutts? or from the headbutt done in the match with Okada which was at a strange angle.

He's definitely upped the full force headbutts in the last 6-8 months, the worst of which being the one against Nakajima

• Paid Members

I didn't see it, but I heard it. Hell of a match. I hope the second news report about it being exaggerated is true. Shibata's a hell of a wrestler, and it'd be a terrible shame for his career to be cut short by something like this.

What report is that?

The only recent news i've seen is this

An update on the situation with Katsuyori Shibata. Unfortunately the news appears to be very bad and that the injuries are not storyline. This is not 100 percent because there are many situations historically where this could be just storyline or a cover for something else, but it appears this is the case and that a combination of dehydration and the trauma of the legitimately skull-on-skull head-butt hospitalized him and at this point it is believed he will never be cleared to wrestle. He is currently in the hospital and is awake, can carry on a conversation, has some memories of the match itself. He initially had some right side paralysis but that is getting better

edit: i'm not sure where this update has come from. it's been posted on reddit, DVDVR & Uproxx

Edited by ultimo the great

That's a direct quote from the Observer website.

Nobody wants to see anyone lose their career but Shibata has been asking for it ever since he started doing those ridiculous headbutts. It's not as if there isn't research or evidence to tell people what they should and shouldn't be doing in the ring to prolong their careers nowadays. He just doesn't seem to get it.

I assume there's been no word on whether Okada sustained any damage from said headbutt?

• Paid Members

I was listening to Steve & Larson's Dirtsheet last night and they said Meltzer had compared it to an incident where Misawa overplayed a minor injury in order to get a bigger pop when he returned from it. It was rather uncomfortable watching Shibata struggling out with the right side of his body compromised like that. That's at the very least probably going to be a TIA due to what he's just been through in that match if not the actual bleed/pressure on his brain. Why he can't work his headbutts like Goto I don't know. Still, I hope it isn't the end of him. The rest of the match was pretty damned special.

• 2 weeks later...

Dontaku Card (3/5):

Yoshitatsu / Hirai Kawato v Katsuya Kitamura / Tomoyuki Oka
Yujiro Takahashi / Chase Owens v YOSHI-HASHI / Will Ospreay
Yuji Nagata / Manabu Nakanishi / Jushin Thunder Liger v Togi Makabe / Tiger Mask W / Tiger Mask
Hirooki Goto / Rocky Romero / Beretta / Toru Yano / Jado v Minoru Suzuki / TAKA Michinoku / Taichi / Yoshinobu Kanemaru / El Desperado
David Finlay v Cody
Tetsuya Naito / Hiromu Takahashi v Juice Robinson / KUSHIDA

[IWGP Tag Titles]: War Machine v Satoshi Kojima / Hiroyoshi Tenzan v Tama Tonga / Tanga Roa
[NEVER 6-Man Title]: Hiroshi Tanahashi / Ryusuke Taguchi / Ricochet v EVIL / BUSHI / SANADA
Tomohiro Ishii v Kenny Omega
[IWGP Title]: Kazuchika Okada v Bad Luck Fale

- Overall, a pretty meh card, I think. Interesting to see how Finaly Jr. gets on in his singles match & Ishii v Kenny should be good. Might just be time for me to disappear again, until G1 -

(For anyone that hasn't been following; Roppongi Vice regained the Jr. Tag belts & Minoru Suzuki is the new NEVER Openweight champion).

My vote for this shows injury goes to Omega, I reckon he will go beserk in trying to steal the show and catch one from Ishii.

Okada and Fale I like, they had a pretty damn good singles match was it last year in the G1, they have good chemistry and I'm sure will tell a cracking big man/underdog story.