Best things to watch on the network?

Jimmy Boy

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Awards Moderator

The Charlotte Chronicle. I cannot tell whether it's in kayfabe or not. You see her backstage at the Rumble immediately after being dumped out by Becky, and she's properly grousing, in tears about having worked for years to get where she is and having it taken away from her. This then carries on throughout the film. She goes on about living with the Flair name, and how she's only known as that, and then she's OK with it... I wasn't sure what story they were trying to tell. 

• Paid Members

Watched the Bunkhouse Stampede from 1988 as I might go through NWA / WCW PPVs in order in a fit of madness. This was dead good though. Spoilers and shit if you've never watched this.

Nikita Koloff and Bobby Eaton have a cracker for the TV title that ends in a 20 minute time limit draw. Eaton was just fantastic. Beautiful Bobby and Stan Lane battered Koloff at the ending.

Larry Zbyszko beat Barry Windham for the Western States Heritage Title. Baby Doll tells Barry what she thinks of him before the match but he tells her to sod off. As good as you'd expect from the lads, Legend wins after a ref bump lets him twat Barry with Baby Doll's shoe.

Then Ric Flair versus Hawk for the NWA Title. Pretty much the match you'd expect, Hawk batters him for the most part until a low blow. Another ref bump in this and it gets thrown out after Flair and JJ Dillon dish out some chair shots. Not as good as the first two matches, but pretty good.

The Bunkhouse match is a bloodbath even if it's a bit awkward. Ivan Koloff carves Dusty Rhodes' arm open with a belt buckle, almost everyone bleeds, and it's a better watch than these sorts of cage clusterfucks normally are. Dream and Barbarian are the last two, and Dream wins by knocking Barb off the cage with a couple of bionic elbows.

Great show.

• Paid Members

Great American Bash '88 is a really good show too!

Tully and Arn drew with Nikita Koloff and Sting to retain the NWA tag titles in a superb opener. Never ceases to amaze me just how over Sting was. The hot tag to him near the end sent people genuinely mental.

Midnight Express and The Fantastics then outdid it for the NWA US tag titles. Midnights won the titles, Bobby and Stan at their absolute peak.

The Tower of Doom was really awkward at times and I mostly couldn't tell what was happening or the rules of it, but it gets better near the end. Kevin Sullivan locking himself in with Precious was brilliant heel work.

Barry Windham beat Dusty Rhodes to retain the US title. Excellent match, obviously, with big Barry keeping the belt after Ron Garvin twatted Dusty.

Then JJ Dillon completed the hattrick on the night seeing Flair retain the NWA title against Lex Luger after the infamous state commissioner match stoppage. Not one of Luger or Flair's best but a great ending.

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, Sheffbag said:

Cant see it on this thread but they have put up a nice little 3 min vid showing all 51 champions . Id completely forgotten that Bray Wyatt was champion. 

That Wyatt/Orton/Harper stuff was great until the moment Orton torched his garden shed. Really compelling TV. Best Orton has been in years too.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/6/2019 at 11:09 AM, BomberPat said:

Back in the early '00s Shane was always painted as this forward thinking businessman, the "good McMahon", and everything would be better once he took over (kind of like how NXT Dad Triple H is viewed now), but this is the first time I really saw a glimpse of that, and I'd love to know what his vision for WWE would actually look like.

It's funny - somebody on the creative team who was working very high up when the brand split was in its first year (2016) said to a friend of mine that Shane McMahon would constantly call them up, trying to pitch "the worst fucking ideas you've ever heard".