Best things to watch on the network?

Jimmy Boy

• Paid Members

I've been catching up with the Network now that I have the bugger for three months. Both the McGuinness and Okerlund docs were outstanding, although the interview where Gene and Miss Elizabeth have a chat whilst Savage gets pissed off was hard to watch considering the hostile real life relationship that Randy and Liz had.

I also threw on the much loved Rumble '92 for the one-man Heenan show. My opinion changes from watch to watch, but this time round my favourite line has to be when Virgil makes his way down at number 23; "Virgil, he's just came out, right? Number 23, right? Who knows how many bags he's gone through in the back!?".

• Paid Members

I watched the first episode. I thought I was going to struggle at first, as the presentation falls well on the wrong side of hokey for me, and between earnest babyface Vince McMahon and Mr Perfect not knowing how to construct a functioning pun but trying his best to rattle off twenty in a minute regardless I almost gave up before the first match even got underway.

I'm glad I didn't, as we then got the Beverley Brothers calling the LOD "sissies", a Genius appearance, a Repo Man squash, an insane Mountie promo, and the Bushwhackers getting their Mum and their Aunt confused. What a show.

I picked a random episode from the lead up to Summerslam 92, and in the opening of a British Bulldog match, Vince uttered this:

”Earlier on perhaps many of you saw a mention of ICOPRO. Well I can tell you your not going to find any pumped-up steroid freak on the cover of anything to do with ICOPRO, no outlandish Before & After claims, there’s no Snake Oil here, we’re talking Sports Nutrition, the most revolutionary thing in Sports Nutrition today”

What balls to throw around “steroid freak” so willy-nilly, baring in mind the WBF has collapsed 3 weeks earlier and in about 8 months time, Vince would be indicted for steroid distribution 

Edited by WyattSheepMask

• Paid Members

I've never seen an episode of Superstars. Only whatever clips were shown on PPV or other Video releases during the VT's before matches. It'll be a treasure chest to delve into next week when I'm off on annual leave. 

2 hours ago, tiger_rick said:

Second episode is the infamous Taker/Bezerker angle. Just insane that they did that. Another one for those "Anti PG" gimps to have a look at. Prime cartoon era and they book attempted murder in the ring.

Mr Perfect is shite.

Didn't get much better at it by 95/96 either

On 1/19/2019 at 8:58 AM, Supremo said:

The Nigel McGuinness documentary is bloody brilliant. Far more enjoyable that his own documentary, which painted him as a self-pitying tragedy.

Watched this last night and really enjoyed it, something a bit different from the normal WWE bubble content. The weird thing was that he said that he documented his comeback tour to show that he still had the passion to do it but the clips they showed he looked like a broken man which was sad to see. Assuming by your comment that must have been the general tone of the doc.

With Triple H now in charge of picking up talent he probably should have had the surgery as he would have got picked up eventually but that is with the benefit of hindsight. Punk and Bryan were outliers at the time so I can't say I blame him - his decision to retire was a good 2 or 3 years before NXT and them started picking up everyone from ROH.

On 1/19/2019 at 8:47 PM, kidzero said:

Have to say I'm looking forward to wwf Superstars from 1992 coming on Monday 

My memory is shocking but I believe Superstars was on Sky on a Saturday at noon with Challenge the same time the next day with Gorilla and Bobby.

I do sound like my late Gran whilst watching it now though “he’s dead, she’s dead”

• Paid Members

It moved around a few times over the years, but at the start of 1992 I'm certain Superstars was on Sky on Friday night. I remember that because it was very hard trying to explain to myself how Gene Okerlund had announced the Mountie beating Bret Hart for the Intercontinental title several house before the match took place once you remembered the time zone difference. (I told myself it must have been an afternoon show and he rushed to the studio to get the update in.)