Best things to watch on the network?

Jimmy Boy

• Paid Members

The only Hogan rant I can think of which involved Booker T (albeit indirectly) might have been at Bash At The Beach 2000.

Hogan seemingly going off script and slating the company just before Booker was about to win his first World Title in his first main event might have had an effect on Booker.

Probably the racist stuff though.

I assumed instantly that it was the racism stuff, especially by the splice of bookers shock look. However, I can't help but think it's possibly clever editing, I mean, are they really going to go down that road. Surely if they do, then that's it, no turning back, it's like Pandoras fucking box, a really dirty unkempt box.

Would they pull that particular trigger?

I watched some old ECW on the network recently and it's true it has aged terribly.

I cannot imagine the product ever being seen as fantastic for the TV audience but then I didn't watch it when it first aired.

For all the buzz it has had shockingly few 'classic' matches. I doubt that if it had come about today it would have been as successful because the standards are currently as high as they will ever get. even in wwf and WCW circa 96 the general look was not fantastic

It's on consoles. Select the second tab where all the PPVS and that is (its too early to remember what its called) and its on the far right i believe

Can't see it on PS4

That doesn't appear on Xbox One either.

I have Collections but my Vault option seems to have disappeared, i need to search Nitro and save it to my series watchlist to access it just now. I am on Xbox One aswell

• Paid Members

I cannot imagine the product ever being seen as fantastic for the TV audience but then I didn't watch it when it first aired.

So don't judge it by some fucking stupid retrospective criteria.

For all the buzz it has had shockingly few 'classic' matches. I doubt that if it had come about today it would have been as successful because the standards are currently as high as they will ever get. even in wwf and WCW circa 96 the general look was not fantastic

Oh.

ECW was only ever good in PowerSlam photos/articles, and even then it probably still depended on the reader being a kid. Prior to Del Rio being the big mystery Cena opponent, my biggest disappointment in wrestling was the night Bravo started showing ECW. I'd been so excited to finally see it, and it was so crap.

What a load of bollocks.

I'm surprised you didn't use the word "overrated", that's the other thing wrestling fans say when talking about something popular that they don't like.

How do you explain them selling out 1000+ seats in Philadelphia every fortnight for years on end? Or how dozens of the best wrestlers from the early part of this century wrestled for ECW in the 90's? Or why ECW One Night Stand 2005 got a buyrate of over 325,000?

I ask because all of the above contradicts your opinion that the only appeal ECW had was to kids in photographic form.

I'm watching Raw's from 2001, and Austin taking a break from proper feuds to act the cunt and bully Spike Dudley and Molly Holly (and Tazz later on) for a few weeks was brilliant. They should try things like that these days just to change things up a bit, especially now that they don't even really have to build to PPV's every month. 

Hurricane's introduction was great, silly fun as well. Was pushed just the right amount, and not rammed down your throat once it started to get over like it would be now.

ECW was only ever good in PowerSlam photos/articles, and even then it probably still depended on the reader being a kid. Prior to Del Rio being the big mystery Cena opponent, my biggest disappointment in wrestling was the night Bravo started showing ECW. I'd been so excited to finally see it, and it was so crap.

What a load of bollocks.

I'm surprised you didn't use the word "overrated", that's the other thing wrestling fans say when talking about something popular that they don't like.

Sorry, I should have clarified. It depended on the reader being a kid or an oversensitive fuckwit. With the mental age of a kid. Edited by King Pitcos

• Paid Members

The thing that made ECW stand out when I first got into it, was just that it was completely different from what I was used to, which was the WWF since 1992 having not discovered WCW yet, truly. They did a really good job of making things feel more important than just wins, losses and belts. The hatred in Dreamer/Douglas and Raven/Sandman felt a lot more real than anything the WWF had presented, or at least that I had seen. Rob Van Dam was nothing like anything I'd ever seen, to the point I thought he was redefining wrestling and eventually everyone would just do kicks and dives instead of bothering with armbars and headlocks. Seriously, that's how easily excited I was as a teenager. The Gangstas just hitting job boys with stuff until they got bored was even fun. Watching the Eliminators waiting patiently for Total Elimination (!!!) felt a thousand times better than the best Smoking Gunns match.

The problem with ECW however was that the best bits were so sparsely spread out and in between there was a lot of dross and to be blunt, a lot of their featured guys couldn't really wrestle much. The bad was VERY bad.... but you just kind of forgot about that because you were buzzing so much from your favourite bits. It's a little like how you thought the WWF was brilliant in 1998 because STONE COLD~! but once you scratched the surface, there wasn't much else going on and if you try and watch most episodes of Raw from back then, you scratch your head at how many times you've thought "That was shit" before Austin turns up. Or Sable gets her tits out, maybe. Both products were very much of their time, as cliched as that has become.

Ultimately its really hard as a fan today, where every conceivable style of pro wrestling can be easily accessed with a few clicks, to possibly understand what it was like to be presented something so different after a solid diet of one particular type of wrestling. That shock to your system glossed over the fact that bell to bell, it was more often that not rubbish.

So don't judge it by some fucking stupid retrospective criteria.

Oh.

Who are you? Wind your neck in... 

The only Hogan rant I can think of which involved Booker T (albeit indirectly) might have been at Bash At The Beach 2000.

Hogan seemingly going off script and slating the company just before Booker was about to win his first World Title in his first main event might have had an effect on Booker.

Probably the racist stuff though.

I assumed instantly that it was the racism stuff, especially by the splice of bookers shock look. However, I can't help but think it's possibly clever editing, I mean, are they really going to go down that road. Surely if they do, then that's it, no turning back, it's like Pandoras fucking box, a really dirty unkempt box.

Would they pull that particular trigger?

I just saw the clip at the end of the Ron Simmons interview and now I'm thinking it is the infamous racist stuff they are referring to.

I doubt they go into detail about exactly what he said, probably just along the lines of "Hulk Hogan made some remarks about how he would feel if his daughter dated an african-american".

Also, in all 3 of the JBL interviews aired so far he has took a shot at Vince Russo. So I wasn't surprised to see his name mentioned in that brief preview of upcoming interviews. It appears JBL has a big problem with him.

• Paid Members

Also, in all 3 of the JBL interviews aired so far he has took a shot at Vince Russo. So I wasn't surprised to see his name mentioned in that brief preview of upcoming interviews. It appears JBL has a big problem with him.

Probably because he abandoned ship in 1999 rather than because he's a fucking abysmal booker.