The Beer Thread

PowerButchi

• Paid Members

My sister gave me a great present for Christmas - four "Discworld" ales, based on Terry Pratchett's books, produced, according to the box, "in the Unseen University Boathouse Brewery" (as it doesn't have any other company names printed, I'd hazard a guess this was a micro-brewery licenced under the Pratchett/Discworld franchise). Won't bother you with the story bits leading up to the ale descriptions, will just put up the descriptions themselves:

Hix's Darkside

Hix's Darkside is an aged oatmeal stout making the beer rounded yet robust. A complex malt character gives this beer a multitude of flavours trickling down the throat and lingering in the mouth. A smooth sweetness is felt on the palate from the abundance of oats poured in, giving this beer its style.

Bledlow's Silence

Bledlow's Silence is a classic style IPA. Simcoe and Chinook hops work in perfect harmony in this brew giving a beautiful aroma of tropical citrus fruits and resinous pine. The flavour fills the mouth with this delightful aroma leading to intense grapefruit and a pleasing lingering bitterness.

Bugarup Blonde

Bugarup Blonde is a light refreshing blonde ale with a delicate bitterness making this a truly quaffable beer. Don't be fooled, however; with the super high-alpha Stella, the aromas give sweet citrus and beautiful fruit. Fresh lemon and pine are present on the palate with delightful apricot and melon flavours hanging around in the background. The beer finally leaves a sweet but crisp hoppiness in the mouth.

Modo's Midden

Modo's Midden is an honest, earthy and refreshing golden ale with a classic aroma of cedar and herbs. On the palate a light lemon/grapefruit flavour develops under the cedar for a truly distinctive character. The beer leaves a rounded taste in the mouth wanting you to take more.

My sister gave me a great present for Christmas - four "Discworld" ales, based on Terry Pratchett's books, produced, according to the box, "in the Unseen University Boathouse Brewery" (as it doesn't have any other company names printed, I'd hazard a guess this was a micro-brewery licenced under the Pratchett/Discworld franchise). Won't bother you with the story bits leading up to the ale descriptions, will just put up the descriptions themselves:

Discworld are Brentwood brewed iirc. been tempted to try but can never find the buggers up here! Will have to try Booth's which usually have harder to get stuff in!

Moi from last night.

What pub is that? I see Gaslight Anthem lyrics, I need to visit this place.

Brunswick in Sauchiehall Street Glasgow

• Paid Members
I was up in York over Christmas and got to have a couple lovely beers. Centurion Ghost Ale from York Brewery and Battle Axe from Rudgate Brewery. Both really good beers.

I'd forgotten about Centurion Ghost Ale - I lived in York years back and that was a really nice one. Did any pubs there stand out to you?

I was in Stockport over Christmas, so tried a few local beers around there. The 1667 is a nice, smooth one. Nothing special, but very, very easy to drink. They had the Trooper as well, which is actually really quite nice. It's quite mild, but with some spices in there. It's certainly not something I'd turn down.

It appears that Hobgoblin is a good one if you're introducing people to ales - my Dad's not a big ale drinker, but we did a bit of a session around the pubs, and that was his favourite. My sister's boyfriend also got quite into that, and he's never really touched ale before. It may be a good one for people who like Guinness, actually.

Was reading that Virgin Trains has an exclusive ale on board it's trains called Tilting Ale. It's a 4.1% light hoppy ale. I fancy having a go of it on the train down to TNA at the end of the month. Has anyone else tried it? It's made for them by Redwillow I haven't tried any of their stuff. Any recommendations for them?

• Moderators
I was up in York over Christmas and got to have a couple lovely beers. Centurion Ghost Ale from York Brewery and Battle Axe from Rudgate Brewery. Both really good beers.

I'd forgotten about Centurion Ghost Ale - I lived in York years back and that was a really nice one. Did any pubs there stand out to you?

Didn't go to any boozers this time, but I have been to quite a few before. Unfortunately I'm awful with the names so can't really point any out, although I've enjoyed several pubs up there. More so the non-york brewery ones ironically.

I'm going to a beer tasting night this Friday coming. I will get to sample 10 beers from bottles and get an education in craft beer so hopefully I wont be getting beer wrong anymore.

If the organisers allow it I will post photos and tasting notes.

I have also found that there is a beer club on the last Friday of each month at a pub called The Old Stag Inn which is in the Pollokshaws area of Glasgow. They showcase 4 bottles and 2 draught taps each month. Dearest price for a drink is

• Moderators
I'm going to a beer tasting night this Friday coming. I will get to sample 10 beers from bottles and get an education in craft beer so hopefully I wont be getting beer wrong anymore.

If the organisers allow it I will post photos and tasting notes.

I have also found that there is a beer club on the last Friday of each month at a pub called The Old Stag Inn which is in the Pollokshaws area of Glasgow. They showcase 4 bottles and 2 draught taps each month. Dearest price for a drink is

• Paid Members

I'm funny with ales, have to be in the right mood these days, I used to love them but indulged too much as my fatha works for black sheep. He must have been there about 16-17 years or so now, while it was still in its infancy.

If nothing else, I was privileged enough to work a few days in my teens with my dad so got to go to a lot of lively country free houses, when that's they all supplied.

To me, a nice pint is a nice pint, I'm not massively fussy anymore regarding what's in the pot, but I am fussy about what I eat before having ale.

If your in the Newcastle area and like ales, the bridge tavern is fairly new, just under the bridge on the quayside. It's owned by an ex club promoter called Dave stone, and has its own micro. It has 2 fairly decent bars in there, with a decent array of pumps, probs double figures.

http://www.thebridgetavern.com/index.html

Another nice one is the schooner in gateshead, again recently taken over by the guy who helped to establish other decent pubs in the toon. It also does some of the best home made pub grub in town, with an Americana vibe, it's my fav drinking hole at the moment.

http://www.theschooner.co.uk/beer/

Edited by Kaz Hayashi