The Beer Thread

PowerButchi

• Paid Members

Me and the old boy brewed up 21L of a Timothy Taylor Landlord extract last night. It's been years since I had a pint of it so I don't remember how it tastes but my Dad likes it and he wanted to see how it's done. Now for the hardest part. Waiting.

Me and the old boy brewed up 21L of a Timothy Taylor Landlord extract last night. It's been years since I had a pint of it so I don't remember how it tastes but my Dad likes it and he wanted to see how it's done. Now for the hardest part. Waiting.

I'm thinking on getting into Homebrew. What would I need to make my own beer? And where is best to source the equipment needed?

• Paid Members

I get all my stuff from the brew UK store http://www.brewuk.co.uk/store/

A starter kit with a premium beer kit would set you back about 60 quid. You'd need bottles or a keg to put your beer into once fermented.

If you want to get into it. Try some kits, get used to the process and the sanitation and learn what you can about it. Once you've got a few done then move on to extract or all grain if you want to produce top quality or custom brews. There are loads of recipes to clone or amend if you like hoppy beers or premium strength American style IPAs, no need to stick to the British ales.

Tommy - there's a great home brew shop in Partick at the bottom of Dumbarton Road. Owned by the Williams brothers I believe of Fraoch and joker IPA fame. They're very friendly. Just go in and say you're interested in getting into home brewing and they'll sort you out with what you need and give you some advice.

I also fully recommend the Bon Accord. Best Ale pub in Glasgow. Always 10 ales on tap with 9 rotating (Deuchars is constant). Great whisky selection too if you like that sort of thing.

Best pub I found in Newcastle was in Byker and called the Cumberland Arms. Nice quaint place with a fire and 5/6 ales on tap.

The beer tasting event I attended was amazing. Really informative and got to taste some rather funky beers. Waiting on an email back from the venue to get a full list of all the beers I sampled.

They have another beer tasting on Friday 7th of March and half the tickets have been bought already. I'm getting a ticket for it.