The Beer Thread

PowerButchi

Tommyboi is like a kid having a drink for the first time because it's Christmas. YOU'RE DRINKING BEER TOMMY, WE GET IT. Fucking hell.

Sorry I have friends who say the same thing but for me just discovering craft beer for the first time about a year ago this is my first Christmas of having craft beer so it is like at times like I'm a kid who hasn't had alcohol before. When you have been used to drinking standard lager for years then you get the taste of craft beer it does honestly feel like you are drinking beer for the first time again as you feel like this is what you've been missing all these years.

• Paid Members
for me just discovering craft beer for the first time

Off a bit but I don't half hate that term, as it seems to have no real meaning to me. What the fuck is "craft beer" because it seems to be attributed to people for so many different things.

Small "real ale" brewers, nationals, brewers who do outlandish styles, brewers who do European styles, small scale subsidiaries of nationals like AB Inbev.

Any way, my best beers of the Christmas break have been Samuel Smiths Imperial Stout and Schneider Weisse Tap 6, both fantastic.

I've started collecting the bottles too, so sad I know but some of them are just lovely.

• Moderators

I was up in York over Christmas and got to have a couple lovely beers. Centurion Ghost Ale from York Brewery and Battle Axe from Rudgate Brewery. Both really good beers.

The thing about both these beers are that they aren't doing anything radical, but they are just excellent examples of the style. It's nice these days to just get a straight up solid beer rather than the constant stream of small breweries pushing the envelope.

• Paid Members

Guest beers were a bit crap in my local on Friday. There were 2 spiced Christmas ales and a light that smelled off. It's the Christmas party for regulars tonight so will see if there's anything decent on. They always have a good pint of Deuchars if the guest beer is crap.

It's almost like a competition at times to have the highest ABV possible, often to the detriment of the beer.

Agree with that, some of the nicest tastiest beers are ones that don't have necessarily a huge ABV. Some oiks may end up calling them 'Session Ales 'or whatever, but seriously quaffable stuff, and not too heavy with alcohol that you stay away from them.

Old Tom, I find, is a bugger for having to high content, there is a fantastic beer trying to get out there, but it's just smothered in the 'alkyfrol' taking away from the taste. Some smoky beers also fall into this

I'm currently on this

draughtscrumpy.jpg

I dont rate my chances of seeing being all that high afterwards. It's glorious!