The Beer Thread

PowerButchi

• Paid Members
Talking of Samuel Smith's, their chocolate stout is possibly the nicest beer I've ever tasted. Honourable mentions as well to their cherry beer and wheat beer.

I second the wheat beer, I drink in the Princess Louise and Cittie Of York when I'm working in London and it's a lovely pint there. It's sometimes in my local back home too.

Fantastic thread guys.

Over the last couple years have really got into my ales big time, recently was in the Yorkshire Dales recently so did have a tour around there Black Sheep Brewery which was really good, and also got to sample there new Golden Sheep which is a great tipple.

And talking of great tipples, have been to The Cluny In Newcastle today, and have a pint from Wylam Brewery named "Wylam Yellow Bus Brew" which for me is a favourite of mine in recent memory.

Also I'm in Liverpool for my stag do next year, any recommendations of some good places to get a decent ale, I've been to the Baltic Fleet near the Albert Dock, which I thought was a cracking little find last time I was down that way. Brew there own beer on the premises.

My mum and dad went to the Isle of Wight last weekend, and brought me back a bottle of Garlic Beer. Since discovering my love for ale about 3 years ago I've been trying every different beer I can get my hands on, and this was the first I've been unable to finish. Couldn't make it past two sips. I assume it might have some use in cooking, but to drink? It's even worse than it sounds. Utterly, utterly rank.

Edited by Stevies Left Nad

I find any chili flavoured beer equally repulsive. There was one in particular that had a chili in the bottle that was absolutely disgusting. The other completely undrinkable beer I've had is reasonably respected I think but tasted like pepporoni. It was meant to be a smoked beer but the strong meat taste was disguting.

Anyone had it? marzen1.jpg

• Paid Members

The Garlic beer sounds like it's going to be some kind of clever trick, but it tastes exactly like you'd imagine a bitter that's had several cloves of garlic soaked in it for a few weeks.

Non-drinks wise, they do actually have some really tasty chutneys and the like at the Garlic Farm.

I find any chili flavoured beer equally repulsive. There was one in particular that had a chili in the bottle that was absolutely disgusting. The other completely undrinkable beer I've had is reasonably respected I think but tasted like pepporoni. It was meant to be a smoked beer but the strong meat taste was disguting.

Anyone had it?

Yeah, I've had Schlenkerla. They serve it in the Devonshire Cat in Sheffield. After an initial aroma of Walkers Smoky Bacon, I found it quite bland. I tried Piwo Grodziskie when in Berlin, that was a much less smoky taste.

Edited by Cheesy Peas

• Paid Members

Smokiest beer I've ever had was "Gunpowder" - I forget the brewery, but I had it in the local 'spoons a few years ago. Pitch-black, thick as tar, and had a deep, malty flavour with a REALLY strong overtone of actual gunpowder, sort of like the smell left by fireworks. Surprisingly great, very distinctive.

Garlic beer sounds like the worst drink ever.

I'll probably get mocked for this, but I just got back from a wedding in Ireland, just outside Dublin... and I think I prefer Murphy's to Guinness. They had both on tap, and I ended up sticking to the Murphy's. I noticed a lot of the locals did too.

Interesting, I don't see Murphy's for sale much in Dublin. I think it's more popular down in Cork where its made. I also used to prefer Murphy's but haven't had any in a long time. Even better than both is the Porterhouse Oyster Stout sold in Porterhouse's own pubs round here. Tastes a bit saltier than the other stouts as you'd expect but very nice indeed. Their Wrasslers stout is also pretty good.