The Beer Thread

PowerButchi

• Moderators
Garlic beer sounds like the worst drink ever.

I'll probably get mocked for this, but I just got back from a wedding in Ireland, just outside Dublin... and I think I prefer Murphy's to Guinness. They had both on tap, and I ended up sticking to the Murphy's. I noticed a lot of the locals did too.

No, I'd say that's fair. I probably prefer Beamish too. That's not to say I don't love Guinness though.

• Paid Members

I like Caffreys. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

On the Innis & Gunn - I've only had it out of the bottle (both types) and think it's OK for a change, but I'd love to try it from the cask.

Not stout but if you get the chance to try 'Titanic Plum Porter' I'd highly recommend doing so. It's delicious.

Seconded.

I just had a weekend in Aberystwyth and as well as popping into the Ship & Castle to sample their ales (and say hello to Ian the landlord) I popped into The Glen to see what they had on, after reading last week that the Salopian Lemon Dream had been spotted there. On one of the underhanging beams they have dozens of pump clips and beer mats of all the different beers they've had on. Wish I could have been in the town to see the transformation from average hotel bar by night, dive club by night to "really good proper pub." Played some table football too and a good couple of games of arrows. Nabbed a Shanghai 20 but sadly no 180s.

In terms of the beers the Glen had on St Austell Tribute, Wye Valley HPA (Hereford Pale Ale), Box Steam Brewery Tunnel Vision, Enville Ale (one of my local exports) and Dorothy Goodbody's Meadow Queen. The Meadow Queen was ridiculously quaffable. My mate said with one taste "Oh dear... I could drink a lot of that, very quickly." In the Ship there was the HPA again as well as the Wye Valley Butty Bach, Sadler's Worcester Sorcerer, Salopian Darwin's Origin and one or two others, but my memory's a bit hazy since sadly the last round was two Baby Guinness and two Brain Tumours each before heading to the Academy (a mistake) then the Pier (another mistake).

Edited by air_raid

• Paid Members
I stopped in at the Dorich Arch on the way home on Chris B's recommendation yesterday afternoon, only had time for 1 pint before getting the train so had a Radgie Gadgie - nice pint, I'll be back for some more.

Yeah, it's a great place, that. They get some good guest beers in on a regular basis.

• Paid Members
I stopped in at the Dorich Arch on the way home on Chris B's recommendation yesterday afternoon, only had time for 1 pint before getting the train so had a Radgie Gadgie - nice pint, I'll be back for some more.

Glad you liked. It's one of those pubs I can easily settle into for the night.

Once again, thank you Cheesy Peas....

Session on!

Glad I could help.

Seen a couple of people in here mention Timothy Taylor's Landlord as a favourite. i don't know whether I've had a bad pint 10 times in a row, but I can't stand it, despite it being recommended in seemingly every village pub in the Peak District. It always seems to taste a bit past it's best, or like it's just too flat, even for an ale.

My favourite beer from a few years ago was Mansfield - the website says it's brewed by Marstons, but I'm not convinced it always has been. It was always the ale of choice in the Racehorse in Northampton, because it was only

Once again, thank you Cheesy Peas....

Session on!

Glad I could help.

Seen a couple of people in here mention Timothy Taylor's Landlord as a favourite. i don't know whether I've had a bad pint 10 times in a row, but I can't stand it, despite it being recommended in seemingly every village pub in the Peak District. It always seems to taste a bit past it's best, or like it's just too flat, even for an ale.

My favourite beer from a few years ago was Mansfield - the website says it's brewed by Marstons, but I'm not convinced it always has been. It was always the ale of choice in the Racehorse in Northampton, because it was only

• Paid Members

Siphoning a brew today and we're going a bit experimental. I'm doing my "standard" customization, which is a Woodford Wherry kit, replacing the dried yeast with live yeast from a London ESB, steeping some Fuggles hops in the boiling water before mixing the kit in, then dry-hopping some Goldings once fermentation is finished and before kegging.

However, rather than keg it all, I'm going to fill a bottle as well, but rather than use priming sugar there, I'll use the equivalent amount of elderflower cordial. It's the missus's idea, and the logic is that it'll make it a bit like Badger Golden Glory. I'll see if it goes OK and might do a full batch that way next time.

• Paid Members

I did a beer judging course last year. I may be misremembering, but I think Landlord was mentioned as an example of a beer that isn't anyone's favourite, but if you asked a large and diverse group of people what they'd be willing to drink, Landlord would be something that almost everyone would be OK with.

Two things:

On the Irish Ale front, always had a lot of love for Kilkenny on draught but I have only seen it in bottles for about 10 years.

On the forgotten beers front, I was really fond in the late 90s of a beer called Boston Beer. I assumed it was some American beer that was discontinued and the only Boston Beer brandname I'm familiar with is the parent company of Samuel Adams. Is there a beer encyclopedia anywhere?

Two things:

On the Irish Ale front, always had a lot of love for Kilkenny on draught but I have only seen it in bottles for about 10 years.

On the forgotten beers front, I was really fond in the late 90s of a beer called Boston Beer. I assumed it was some American beer that was discontinued and the only Boston Beer brandname I'm familiar with is the parent company of Samuel Adams. Is there a beer encyclopedia anywhere?

Wasn't a huge fan of Kilkenny. Only really noticed it for sale in kilkenny but I prefer the Smithwicks, though that's not particularly great. Fine for a couple though and generally the best non-stout any pub has on here.

Currently watching the hurling on TV and drinking a big bottle of Jenlain Ambre

Edited by gary v1