The Beer Thread

PowerButchi

• Moderators

I refuse to drink a beer called Hoptimus Prime. they should throw all "hilarious" pun ale names down a well and burn them. Really, it's one of my least favourite things about ale ever. The shit, punning names.

I'm a fan of pale ales, IPAs, and light ales generally as I find strong or really bitter ales a bit heavy going. My local brewery is the Hogsback Brewery which does a Best that is called T.E.A (Traditional English Ale) that is pretty close to a perfect pint. They serve it in most of the locals, which is grand.

Years ago there was a thread on TWCF (in the Wrestling Channel Days) about mild, and the odd pint I've had I loved. Almost never see it in pubs though. Shame.

• Paid Members
Mild's still in abundance around here. I hate the stuff.

We get a lot of Banks' mild around here too - shocking, considering it's brewed in Wolverhampton. I've never taken to it. In lots of pubs here it also comes out of a "normal" tap rather than hand pull, which usually is enough to make me distrust a beer anyway. John Smiths comes out of a normal tap, ugh.

If anyone is around Birmingham this pub is one to visit: http://www.thewellingtonrealale.co.uk/

A recently refurbished real ale pub located in the heart of Birmingham City Centre. There is 16 real ale beer pumps downstairs and a further 7 in the upstairs bar. The bar upstairs has my own all time favorite real ale on permanetly Titanic Plum Porter.

The welly also has its own live beer board shown on the internet ( http://www.thewellingtonrealale.co.uk/pages/beerboard.php )

• Paid Members
I'm a fan of pale ales, IPAs, and light ales generally as I find strong or really bitter ales a bit heavy going. My local brewery is the Hogsback Brewery which does a Best that is called T.E.A (Traditional English Ale) that is pretty close to a perfect pint. They serve it in most of the locals, which is grand.

Had a pint of that last week, at the Grafton in Kentish Town. Great stuff.

Also, there's a market near me that sells all sorts of goods with a lot of artisan foods, and there was a stall run by East London Brewery (which is actually based in Essex, I think). I picked up two awesome bottles - Nightwatchman, which is close to a porter and has a glorious, deep flavour, and Quadrant, which is deliciously heavy and has a strong flavour of oats.

EDIT: Echoing the love for Summer Lightning - the local 'spoons does it here too. They get a lot of great guest ales in - Hopspur is an excellent regular.

As for the mass-produced stuff, I have to say I still like Adnam's Broadside and Regatta. And Sam Smith's pubs are usually the best value in London for decent beer at student union prices - Old Brewery or Sovereign Best.

BTW, if you're on Twitter, follow Wil Wheaton - he frequently tweets about Stone Micro-Brewery in California, and he's a big fan of their pale ale.

Edited by Carbomb

• Paid Members

Years ago there was a thread on TWCF (in the Wrestling Channel Days) about mild, and the odd pint I've had I loved. Almost never see it in pubs though. Shame.

I see a good real mild about now and then. It's good but nothing groundbreaking in my book. I'm in a little place in Birmingham now actually, chatting about beer and shit.

• Paid Members

Oddly, one of the Samuel Smiths in central London (The Glasshouse Stores) has started selling mild. It's not bad - the only other time I've ever had mild was up in Yorkshire, and it was OK. I agree with Tommy that it's nice, but nothing out of the ordinary.

I think I finally found the brewer of the smokiest whiskey pint I had a few years ago which was by far the best pint of anything I'd ever had.

Innis & Gunn Highland Cask on tap. It was heaven. It was a limited edition in bottles around the same time as per here, so would fit that had some on cask at festivals and stuff.

Based on those findings I got a bottle of Rum Finish, which is gorgeously smokey and fruity finish with a rum twist and is 6.8% a bottle and I've picked up a bottle of Oak finish to try as well

It's on offer, half price at Sainsburys at the moment would definitely recommend the range. Immense