The Official UKFF RAW Thread...

d-d-d-dAz

• Awards Moderator

A very tolerable Raw, considering. 

But what is it with faces just beating the crap out of heels with little provocation? 

Maybe it was the edit I watched but Steph came across contrite and got a flying armbar for her troubles. Miztourage lose fair and square but have to take every finisher after the bell. Yay, I guess? 

Echo the commiserations for Paige. That's a rough deal for someone who's known nothing else but the business. 

• Paid Members

Pleased Jeff Hardy is back and it looks like they're doing a singles run with him. One of the highlights of the past ten years was his journey to the WWE title.

Show was decent enough.

I think Reigns' promo spoke for itself, with everyone sort of half-arse booing him. Why care? He's such a feckless babyface, and one that was supposed to be carrying the company on his back by now; so many bodies and potential pushes laying on the floor to get him to this point. Proper miffed if he beats Lesnar in their title match - miffed if they keep him the way he is, of course.

They've got to be pleased with Rousey. I mean it was a ropey few weeks ago, with Rousey relying on her charisma/star power to push her through some fluffed lines and on-camera awkwardness, but she's getting better by the week. I think dAz nailed it when he said they're totally figured her out.

I just can't fathom how the same company who've got to the core of what will work to make Ronda Rousey a superstar are the same company who keep scripting Roman to look like such an utter weapon.

Last night he a) had a stupid gold watch on (no, I won't let that go. He looked like the Samoan Saville.) and b) complained that he'd been given a title match. What an awful conspiracy against him it is, I mean... they keep giving him title shots. Those bastards. Also, complaining about Brock getting a new contract falls flat as if you're the number one contender and he can throw you around, surely he deserves a new deal?

The topper was 'if you keep putting me in title matches, eventually i'll be champion'. Fucking hell. That's your pitch? His gimmick is essentially Roman 'even a blind squirrel...' Reigns.

Awful.

• Paid Members

Cracking Raw I thought, enjoyed it from start to finish with only a couple of blemishes. 

1 hour ago, tiger_rick said:

Lashley. Ugh.

This. I didn't think much to him during his last run in WWE or his stints elsewhere. A surprise and a pop now, but I give it a couple of months into a babyface run for him before he gets the boo'ing treatment. Ruined a great segment with Elias as well, the headbanded ponce. 

Opening was fantastic, Steph is one of my favourite acts in the company right now and they booked Rousey brilliantly yet again. I take @Onyx2's point about babyfaces beating on heels, but in Ronda's case they could effectively have a female Steve Austin on their hands in terms of how the rivalry with Steph could play out over the coming years. Perfect way to further present her as the baddest woman on the planet (she didn't talk either, which in a way I think was a further plus!).

The NXT call-ups were a nice surprise but long-term I don't think this crop will amount to much. Ember Moon and No Way Jose will just wind up getting lost in the shuffle (Jose is basically a new Adam Rose and the gimmick will have a limited shelf-life before people get sick of it), while AOP's act was already getting stale in NXT. Interesting to see they're binning off Ellering though, thought that was smartly done in a subtle, dickish way. 

Joe's promo cutting Reigns down to size was superb. 

1 hour ago, air_raid said:

Reigns being on Bryan's show would be hilarious.

That would be a great way to kickstart a heel run and an eventual feud between them. There's an in-built history there that they can date back to Royal Rumble 2015 when Reigns first started getting the massively negative reactions, and how despite Bryan not being around he's always been held in higher regard than Roman etc. As Rick said, it's obvious what they have to do with Roman, but Vince is such a stubborn old cunt that I think he'll keep being presented as a babyface for the foreseeable. 

Seth Rollins is ready to be the company's top babyface. His performances are great and his connection with the crowd has never been better. Looked like an absolute rockstar last night. 

Absolutely gutted for Paige, that's no age to retire. No more Norfolk representation in WWE. :(

39 minutes ago, Fatty Facesitter said:

The NXT call-ups were a nice surprise but long-term I don't think this crop will amount to much. Ember Moon and No Way Jose will just wind up getting lost in the shuffle (Jose is basically a new Adam Rose and the gimmick will have a limited shelf-life before people get sick of it), while AOP's act was already getting stale in NXT. Interesting to see they're binning off Ellering though, thought that was smartly done in a subtle, dickish way. 

I wonder if Ellering might show up back in NXT with War Machine, leading to an AOP/War Machine feud somewhere down the line. Hoss fight!

3 minutes ago, TildeGuy~! said:

“They Boo the people they like and cheer the people they hate, it’s the Raw after Wrestlemania”

Just fuck off with that, every wrestler gets the same reaction every other week, just on this certain week reactions are louder. 

Haven't seen RAW but its so annoying they've done this again - its so utterly patronising and out of touch. 

I'm not a huge fan of overly-comical Strowman, but the quick segment with him, Angle and Nicholas was superb. Very funny stuff. The Jeff/Matt/Bray backstage seg was also fairly amusing, makes little sense but amusing. I was just surprised they even tied up Jeff's return with the Matt/Bray storyline.

• Paid Members
43 minutes ago, Mr.Showtime said:

I'm not a huge fan of overly-comical Strowman, but the quick segment with him, Angle and Nicholas was superb. Very funny stuff.

It's dreadful. Braun's delivery of "He's in the fourth grade" was good but the whole thing is a terrible, terrible "gag". Two months ago, Strowman should have been the main event of WrestleMania. Now he's so fucking lame. He's over, can't argue with that but that doesn't always mean good.

52 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

It's dreadful. Braun's delivery of "He's in the fourth grade" was good but the whole thing is a terrible, terrible "gag". Two months ago, Strowman should have been the main event of WrestleMania. Now he's so fucking lame. He's over, can't argue with that but that doesn't always mean good.

Got to disagree with this. Braun is hilarious but still primed to be a star if they choose to pull the trigger. The comedy stuff is not hindering him at all.

57 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

Oh I agree the whole thing is a terrible gag. I just thought as a standalone scene it was funny. Strowman is somehow getting away with the garbage he's been given, but I'm not sure how long that'll last.

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, FelatioLips said:

Yeah Brawn is a rare case where he's over enough to get away with being goofy. 

I agree with this. And he seems a naturally funny, likeable guy, may as well have some of that reflected in his character, so he's not a one-dimensional monster - that kind of gimmick has a short shelf life, but being a more diverse performer can go some way to protect him from that. And it's not like tipping over ambulances with his bare hands wasn't goofy in the first place.