The Official UKFF RAW Thread...

d-d-d-dAz

Completely in agreement with everyone who said Rollins stepped it up on Raw and looked like a top player. It's rare on these forgettable shows that you see a performer really rise like that, it's usually everyone in suspended animation or sinking. But the way Rollins spoke and handled himself, he made himself belong in the top tier.

Rusev did well too, in what was pretty much the only time he's ever spoken for more than a sentence. He's what Kozlov could have been if Kozlov was brilliant. I don't know if the gimmick and undefeated push kills Rusev once he's beaten, but it's a shame if it does because he's very good. 

Ambrose was alright. His psych test was typical lame WWE stuff with one or two decent moments. Would've been a good time to bring back Dr Shelby, this. Ambrose seems to have come off better from his last feud than the bloke who won nearly all the matches in it, who is now back doing meaningless pre-tapes in the "we can't think of what to do with him" category.

Why can't we just start RAW with a fast paced match? I think it would make more casual viewers invest in the rest of the show if it did.

It wouldn't, though, would it? The opening promo involves the characters people care about and sets the table for the show. Matador B vs Justin Gabriel in a cruiser sprint as your opener, with Triple H and Cena talking after that, would send people the message that the real business starts at ten past. By which point, they're already invested in something else that started at eight o' clock.

I mean, can you see Randy Orton doing this shit? Don't think so. Why does he want no differentiation between his top faces?

John Cena draws north of a hundred million dollars a year. Randy Orton can barely draw a stickman. Vince wants (and needs) another Cena, not another Orton. Whether Roman Reigns is that man might be another story, and if he's not, trying to make him be that man might hurt him. Cena is still going great guns though, so Reigns doesn't need to be Cena for another couple of years, we must assume. On the plus side, though, his delivery on longer promos has improved drastically, and pretty fast.

Also why the fuck is Big Show suddenly being protected?

Because they've got three hours a week of Raw and two of Smackdown, and there's fuck all at the top of the roster. If Roman Reigns hammered Big Show a month ago, he'd have had nothing to do since. Well, he could appear for a couple of minutes every week and batter someone quickly then say he's winning the Rumble. That'd be preferable.

The match finished with Xavier Woods doing a really bad double footstomp on a tiny part of Tyson Kidd.

That was Kofi who did the footstomp, you racist. In general, I don't understand WWE's fascination with the move. Hideo Itami and Finn Balor have been doing it as well, and it always looks shit. Cesaro was doing it all the time about a year ago too, I'm not sure if he still does. I think his was a double-team move where Swagger would throw him up in the air to do it, I don't remember it he carried it over into singles. It's such a pointless, bad-looking move and they seem determined that at all times someone has to have it in their bag of tricks. I bet Justin Gabriel and the Matadores do it.

Edited by King Pitcos

Reigns came across much better in his promo than the material did. That was awful. They'd be better off realising that you can't replace Cena like for like and letting the next guy carve his own path. That being said they seem to love giving thier prospective stars absolute shite to work with and seeing how they handle it so if Reigns can make the pish they're serving him work then he'll be set.

It's probably pretty easy to get Reigns back on track with the fans most likely to boo him. He just needs to turn around after the rumble and say he's tired of people puting words in his mouth, tired of people comparing him to Cena and that he's his own man and he's going to kick Cena's arse and take the title. It's getting him over as a top blue eyes with everyone else which might be the problem.

• Paid Members

It's probably pretty easy to get Reigns back on track with the fans most likely to boo him. He just needs to turn around after the rumble and say he's tired of people puting words in his mouth, tired of people comparing him to Cena and that he's his own man and he's going to kick Cena's arse and take the title. It's getting him over as a top blue eyes with everyone else which might be the problem.

http://www.wwe.com/videos/diesel-addresses-the-wwe-raw-november-20-1995-26021673

Hey suits in Titan Towers, Roman aint gonna be your corporate stooge no more.

Yeah it's early days for Reigns, relatively. I'd gone off him a little bit because of the promos and non descript matches, but I remembered a bunch of shit like the "THIS MY TABLE NOW FOOLS" shout from a few years back and how fucking cool he was as a mute pumpkin brooding badass. He hasn't had some enormous nail in the coffin ala Sheamus and the 18 second match/RAW crowd the next night. He's probably got a good future rather than a half shite one if by some miraculous chance they can reign in the usual bollocks they give top babyfaces these days

People just hate the idea of what he is, rather than him I reckon. People most likely to boo him have had to watch guys they absolutely want on top go through all sorts of shite over the years and get given Lashley, Sheamus, a returning Batista instead. I remember at the start of all the Shield stuff people were pissing and moaning about him being the odd one out among the two indy guys, but soon enough people were pretty excited and surprised he'd become a breakout star in his own right, but at some point it became obvious that Vince was basically cupping his balls and might aswell have put a sandwich board on him saying THIS IS YOUR NEW FAVORITE NOW YOU FREAKS and at this point people are smart enough to realise the sort of utter shite that entails.

Coupled with the obvious paranoia over Bryan either retiring or never getting back to the top of the mountain after they somehow managed to force WWE into giving a 5ft10, pale hobo who looks like a Safety Dance extra a spot meant for the love child of Gary Strydom and Peter North  who's just starred in a movie that's made enough money to keep the leccy meter running til the sun implodes, you've got a recipe for trouble.

Reigns has almost certainly got a big future whether anybody likes it or not, and I reckon people definitely want to give him a chance, it's just the WWE standard for the past few years of star making has been a comedy of bollocks.

• Paid Members

I've hated hundreds of Cena's promos down the years but it never worried me because you always knew that he was the guy so they'd never lose interest in him, you knew that as soon as they had something of interest for him to get his teeth into you'd get quality promos and you also knew that half the crowd hated him anyway and they just played it up.

With Reigns, I am worried. I'm worried because he's the first guy to come along in a while who has the size, the athleticism, the look and got over with the crowd to be a proper star. Not some indy darling who is over with a few crowds*. But a proper star who puts arses in seats show after show. They need that guy desperately. John Cena won't go on forever and they have a great candidate to take over while the king is available to hand over the crown.

Unfortunately, as mentioned, they are booking him like they book Cena. But he doesn't have the protective bubble around him that Cena does. So where do we go when they lose interest in Reigns? That worries me. It should terrify them. Their business is already at a pretty low ebb in the States while they're in the midst of forcing a massive change to the way business works. If there was ever a time to make hot stars - it's now.

*Just kidding!

Edited by tiger_rick

Thought Raw was shite like the rest of you.

I enjoyed the Ambrose segs, i think that was a nod to Macho and his word association segment in 1986.

Six months ago i could have cared less about Rollins but after last night i think he jumped infront of Bryan as my current guy, that promo at the end impressed the shit out of me. I also noticed that he looks about 6 inches taller than he was when he was in the Shield.

As crappy as Raw currently is i am enjoying how much i havnt got a clue at how the mania card will pan out at all, except maybe Triple H vs "that face painted goofball" Sting.

Dolph to win the Rumble, dont ask me why but ive got 5 quid here and when Paddy Power put there prices up this fiver is goin on Dolph.

Edited by Fanny Pack

If I've learnt one thing about WWE's booking policy over the last five years, it's that they've DEFINITELY been waiting for an opportunity to put Dolph Ziggler in a Wrestlemania main event..

:laugh:

Dolph to win the Rumble, dont ask me why but ive got 5 quid here and when Paddy Power put there prices up this fiver is goin on Dolph.

Yeah, I'm starting to wonder when Paddy Power will put up the prices. Hope they do it!!

(not that I'm putting a single penny on Ziggler haha)

Edited by Slapnuts