The Random/Weird/Quirky Photo Thread

EdgarTheSlouch

• Paid Members

Those photo's made me realise why modern day wrestlers don't have the pure star presence and charisma than the older guys did. If that was Hogan touring the Corrie studio's in his prime, he'd be decked out in his red and yellow spandex, Savage, a colourful outfit, complete with hat and shades. Even a more normal looking geezer like Bret Hart would look like a proper bad arse in his leather jacket and shades. Basically, they would just look like wrestlers even to the untrained eye. Balor, as handsome as he is, doesn't look to different to the actors he is posing with.

That's not a knock on Balor by the way, or any other modern day wrestler to be fair. The business has moved on from those larger than life characters. It's just, to me anyway, it's one of the reasons I struggle to take to todays crop in the same way I did to the heroes of yesteryear...

On 7/28/2019 at 6:18 PM, Cod Eye said:

That's not a knock on Balor by the way, or any other modern day wrestler to be fair. The business has moved on from those larger than life characters. It's just, to me anyway, it's one of the reasons I struggle to take to todays crop in the same way I did to the heroes of yesteryear...

That's where the problem lies in my opinion. Once you remove the over the top characters and them looking like real-life action figures you're left with athletic looking guys pretending to fight each other, and in a modern world where you can watch athletic looking guys actually fight each other you're always going to run into trouble.

Wrestling today doesn't actually know where it fits in. Is it wrestling? Is it the over the top corny characters that fans love to see, the freaks and guys who look like they could demolish a small car with their bare hands? All of the things that helped it stand out from other television and live shows? Or is it just guys who aren't hard enough to do MMA or fast enough to be NFL players? 

Like I said, the allure of watching some athletic types pretend to fight is always going to be overshadowed by being able to watch athletic folk actually fight each other for real. They've done away with the crazy, zany wrestling storylines and bookers in favour of television style booking by committee, and it's the drizzling shits.

Wrestling today is basically second rate fake MMA with tepid, rubbish storylines. Honestly, you have to wonder what those "celebrities" who haven't watched since being a kid must think when they're told "hey, we've got a WWE wrestling champion in studio today, and he's brought his belt!" only for Finn fucking Balor to walk in, looking like some berk who could legit play an average sized character in any soap opera. Handsome? Stylish? Yeah, but he's just a dude.

What they should do is limit any and all public appearances of WWE talent where they will possibly be photographed next to normal sized people to Roman Reigns, Braun Strowman or Erick Rowan. At least those three have the "fucking hell, look at this guy" aura to them, which is something that's sorely lacking these days.

Edited by David

• Paid Members

I don't necessarily agree when it comes to wrestlers having to be big muscular fuckers. That was a narrow window in wrestling's history, and in one promotion, really - it's the WWF of the '80s that dictated the bodybuilder physique should be the norm in wrestling, when they were the odd outlier in any other territory at any other point in time. They have their place, but they're not the be-all and end-all of what a wrestler "should" look like.

When the likes of Hogan were on top in the WWF, He-Man was one of the biggest kids' TV and toy-line properties, Arnie was one of the biggest box office stars, and body-building was far closer to the mainstream public consciousness than it is now. So wrestlers being big hulking steroid freaks fit with a "larger than life" media zeitgeist, rather than them being "oh, he must be a wrestler". 

MMA has probably had a part to play in the shift too - when Conor McGregor is the most famous fighter in the world, the notion that only the big muscleheads are believable fighters goes completely out of the window. And why I agree that wrestling shouldn't try and just be faux-MMA, it means we're dealing with a more informed audience, and wrestling has to take some leads from MMA's style and presentation.

Ultimately, it's not about "larger than life" characters, it's about characters, full stop. After however many years, I still couldn't tell you what Seth Rollins is. The thing with most of the stars of the '80s and the '90s is that you can sum up their character in two or three words. I'd struggle to do that with Rollins, or Balor, or even Roman Reigns. 

And if you do want "larger than life", that doesn't have to mean "6'8" and bulging with muscles". Ricochet can pull off absolutely inhuman feats of agility that would impress any casual viewer, so figure out ways to showcase that outside of WWE. The Rock and Steve Austin didn't get over with the mainstream by being hulks, they did it by being charismatic and engaging. But they don't allow people the freedom to do that any more.

...because if they get too charismatic and engaging they say bollocks to this mad schedule and bugger off to Hollywood. Vince is making money hand over fist and the audience figures for MMA and WWE have stayed pretty constant. He ain't going to change a thing. 

That pic of Finn Balor, whoever he is, has convinced me that Kate Ford should be the new Paige. You could play an interesting game with strangers on the street if you hid the belt and asked them "which one is the wrestler?"