The Random/Weird/Quirky Photo Thread

EdgarTheSlouch

• Paid Members

Taken from Reddit. ROH, seven years ago.

bEdAJ37_zpsjmzojqaj.jpg

Makes all the moaning and crying in that miserable documentary Nigel made even funnier. The only one that has never and will never make it. It's a shame but it's hard to feel sorry for him when he wrestled that stupid fucking style. Smashed his body to pieces for 600 fans for nothing. At least the others will be ruined at 45 and rich.

What kind of style did he have? Ive never seen McGuinness wrestle but ive heard him do a few podcasts.

The main problem with Nigel was he thought, because of his size, look and accent I assume, that the only way he could get over was to make it look as real as possible. Not in a good Bret Hart kind of way. But in a 'I'm going to clothesline you in the face as hard as I possibly can' kind of way. I understand if you want to wrestle like that on Raw or on PPV in HD, but deliberately smashing the fuck out of each other in front of 600 people in a gym is mental. He did it so much that he wrecked his arm and, because he was doing it for tiny crowds, couldn't afford the surgery so kept wrestling, and throwing those stupid lariats, with it. Like Bryan Danielson, Nigel was his own worst enemy.

The main problem with Nigel was he thought, because of his size, look and accent I assume, that the only way he could get over was to make it look as real as possible. Not in a good Bret Hart kind of way. But in a 'I'm going to clothesline you in the face as hard as I possibly can' kind of way. I understand if you want to wrestle like that on Raw or on PPV in HD, but deliberately smashing the fuck out of each other in front of 600 people in a gym is mental. He did it so much that he wrecked his arm and, because he was doing it for tiny crowds, couldn't afford the surgery so kept wrestling, and throwing those stupid lariats, with it. Like Bryan Danielson, Nigel was his own worst enemy.

He was due to sign with WWE but they asked him to get surgery on it, he decided he didn't fancy that and went to TNA for a feud with Kurt Angle

• Paid Members

There's a certain irony for a lot of these guys that they've made it to the big league in a broken state but if they weren't breaking their bodies, they probably wouldn't have made it in the first place. None of them were getting by on their look or charisma alone.

If I recall correctly Nigel did indeed fail the medical, although then was asked to get his arm fixed. He reckoned that the time off/loss of money wasn't worth it, and signed with TNA....who aren't bothered about the state of their workers hah.

The funny thing is, that he did it not to lose out on money....and ended up getting a second job in a corner shop or something because TNA didn't pay him enough.

Good matches with Angle though. 

• Moderators

It's been a while since I watched him but he kind of had a mixed style of Daniel Bryan, Cesaro and Doug Williams

And with that stupid fucking handstand in the turnbuckle spot. One if the worst moves ever.

I think his style is best summed up as a spotty indie style which pretends to be a classic British 'technical' style.

Edited by Chest Rockwell

• Paid Members

WWE didnt ask McGuinness to get surgery. They said if you get it we may look at you again in 12 months. That's just industry talk for "run a mile from this bloke."

One of the worst things I've ever seen was when he allowed Austin Aries to do his super fast topé on him while his back was facing him. Just letting someone dive towards you with no protection. Nigel smashed his head into the guardrail at full force, knocked himself out and could have killed himself. Look at the size of the cut it opened up seconds after contact was made. So stupid.

1118full-austin-aries-vs.-nigel-mcguinne

Stupid but i will readily admit to loving that match when it came out. Aries bumps off Nigel's lariets were unbelievably dangerous.

tumblr_nqbma2TzmQ1r89qoso1_400.gif

I'm glad you enjoyed it, but really...the content of that gif is pathetic. Both of them probably have signed photos of themselves in their wallets. At least Aries is learning how to work now though :D