Jimmy Saville

jimufctna24

Opinion  

258 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members
Yet more bad news for the Government.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-28257488

A man abused by a paedophile priest in Sussex says Baroness Butler-Sloss is the wrong person to lead an inquiry into how public bodies dealt with allegations of child abuse.

Phil Johnson says she told him she wanted to exclude his allegations of abuse at the hands of a bishop from a public report because she "cared about the church" and "did not want to give the press a bishop".

Baroness Butler-Sloss has now been asked to look into how the government handled allegations of child abuse by senior politicians in the 1980s and has already faced calls to stand down.

Apparently, she just resigned.

• Replies 986
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

She resigned because her brother was Attorney General at the time the allegations were made and had the ultimate responsibility for not pursuing them. His judgment was almost certain to be a major issue in the inquiry, which made her an odd choice in the first place and prompted the criticism.

• 5 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Oh well that's it then. If Sir Cliff, the epitome of a good old church-going bachelor boy is guilty, then the seventies as a decade might as well disappear from history because if he's guilty then everyone must be.

So it turns out that the guy who ran the local curry house 'Bombay Palace' when I went to Uni in Chester, who I chatted with on numerous occasions, where we ended countless nights out before heading home has been jailed for 14 years and convicted of 36 historic sex offenses for grooming and sexually abusing five underage girls between 1987 and 2000.

http://www.chesterchronicle.co.uk/news/chester-cheshire-news/chester-ramsey-ramsey-child-sex-7639349

• Paid Members

It's a shock isn't it? I had one a few years ago where a local guy (60+), who had been in my house helping my mum numerous times, had been arrested for raping lots of young boys. Eight I think. He got arrested and then topped himself night before he was due in court.

• Paid Members

I don't know where else to put this, but someone on Letterboxd started his review of a film called Hick with this:-

In this case as a member of the Chloe Grace Moretz fan club (or should that be stalker club) I've been watching some of her less well known films. This one however is instantly forgettable despite the denim shorts

That's slightly problematic, isn't it?

a week or so ago the BBC news website had (presumably in an admin error) posted up the news of Jimmys death from a few years back again... some of the comments at the bottom from users made for an entertaining read ... bet these people are eating their words ...

Sad to see him go.
I'm not one for fawning over "celebrities" but this guy used his public persona to better the lives of many people.
We could do with more like him - a lot more, to be honest. Hope he gets what he deserves wherever he is now.

marie

29th October 2011 - 22:29 29 I think you're wrong & barking up the wrong tree. Jimmy Saville was certainly eccentric & a trifle uncool but I think 'what you saw was what you got' with him. As for your comments insinuating he had some sort of connection with 'child molesting' - I think that's probably out of order

I don't know where else to put this, but someone on Letterboxd started his review of a film called Hick with this:-

In this case as a member of the Chloe Grace Moretz fan club (or should that be stalker club) I've been watching some of her less well known films. This one however is instantly forgettable despite the denim shorts

That's slightly problematic, isn't it?

Maybe they were just a nice pair of shorts.

• 2 months later...

Netflix have postponed a scheduled Bill Cosby comedy special following last week's #CosbyMeme controversy, which has drawn attention to historical allegations of rape against Cosby.

I wonder if this could be the beginnings of a Yewtree-style proliferation of historical accusations against US celebrities. I find it hard to believe that the same social forces which produced a predatory environment among UK celebrities wouldn't also propagate in other countries.

• Awards Moderator

The Cosby thing's certainly picking up traction on a lot of websites I visit. Big stories about it on Rolling Stone, Buzzfeed etc in the past few days. I wonder if any American media will make a connection to Yewtree, or whether the whole thing's totally off their radar. There are certainly parallels, especially if the Cosby case sets a precedent for more accusations against other celebrities.

Edit: I suppose there's the Woody Allen accusations, but nothing seems to have come of those yet either.

Archived