Jimmy Saville

jimufctna24

Opinion  

258 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 986
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I'm finding it quite odd that the news reports are all going with the line that Savile was 'a very powerful man'? No he wasn't, he was a fucking TV presenter & a DJ. However, he was obviously close to other actual important figures who afforded him the access to commit such horrendous crimes. Who facilitated all this?

That's the crux of this for me, Mike, and what IMO makes Yewtree a bit of a smoke and mirrors show to distract from it all. Until relevant politicians, police chiefs and others who facilitated the crimes of Savile and, no doubt, people more legitimately 'powerful' than him are held to account, it's all a bit toothless, at best, and genuinely sinister at worst.

• Paid Members
Why go after the police, the politicians, the royals or the press when you can blame the NHS and the BBC?

On the BBC website they mentioned the NHS about 5 times in the first paragraphs of the story. Glad I wasn't the only one who noticed this (not so) subtle association ploy. The whole thing fucking reeks.

• Paid Members
I'm finding it quite odd that the news reports are all going with the line that Savile was 'a very powerful man'? No he wasn't, he was a fucking TV presenter & a DJ. However, he was obviously close to other actual important figures who afforded him the access to commit such horrendous crimes. Who facilitated all this?

Depends really on your definition of power. It's obvious that he had knowledge on mainstream powerful people for him to egg away with it all, which to me is pretty powerful. I'd never heard of the necrophilia (looks like I'm the only one who hadn't), which shocked me after I felt that I could no longer be shocked by tales of this creature. When will it end?

• Paid Members
Depends really on your definition of power. It's obvious that he had knowledge on mainstream powerful people for him to egg away with it all, which to me is pretty powerful. I'd never heard of the necrophilia (looks like I'm the only one who hadn't), which shocked me after I felt that I could no longer be shocked by tales of this creature. When will it end?

Please tell me that's a Freudian slip:

Edwina_currie_nightingale_house_cropped.jpg

• Paid Members

What was Jimmy Savile's grappling career like (in the ring. Not grabbing people off the street)? It seems like it was always made a big deal of. Was it basically a few charity shows here and there? When was his last bout? Cheers!

• Paid Members

Please tell me that's a Freudian slip:

Edwina_currie_nightingale_house_cropped.jpg

More like a ios spellcheck/fatfingeredfuckup slip!

Why go after the police, the politicians, the royals or the press when you can blame the NHS and the BBC?

Some MPs, especially Tom Watson, are calling for a proper enquiry looking into how all these disparate abuse cases tie together (if they do) but the government is dragging its feet.

I don't necessarily think it's because the main parties are still full of murderous nonces (as most of Jimmy's accomplices are probably dead by now) but because over the years successive governments have filed away complaints about child abuse and not bothered to investigate and so if an enquiry were brought it would show the massive complacency over this issue going back decades.

The sad truth is that we're looking at all this with modern, Sarah's Law type eyes. Even up to the 80s, crimes like child abuse and rape just weren't seen as that serious.

The author Arthur Koestler allegedly raped Paul Foot's wife, who said in his own autobiography that Koestler was "a hell of a raper" as if that was just a slightly unusual peccadillo. Koestler himself said "without an element of initial rape there is no delight".

When it comes to poor young children, kept by the state and hidden away in institutions, whether Church or other, people just didn't care. If anything, the poor priests/teachers/wardens were led astray by over-sexualised youngsters. This attitude can still be heard at trials like the Rolf Harris one, or shockingly at the Michael LaVell one.

As long as child abuse is seen as a primarily sexual act and crime, this sort of bullshit will continue. Child abuse/paedophilia is about the abuse of power, authority and trust. If Harris had a sexual relationship with his friend's 16 year old daughter, it's an abuse of his position of authority just as much as if she was 14 or 15.

Politicians don't want frank conversations about this sort of thing. They don't want to talk about changing the age of consent laws or child sexuality, or issues of consent. If anything, we're further away from that sort of dialogue than we were in the 60s.

Archived