Jimmy Saville

jimufctna24

Opinion  

258 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 986
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He could get up to two years but I doubt he'll be going to Cobb County.

Up to?! For 8 counts of indecent assault, including one against a 15 year old girl? No way?

Sorry, that was per charge. Whether they run consecutively or concurrently is the big question.

All bar one of the accusers came forward after it hit the press, had he been given anonymity he would have gotten away with it.

Certainly fuels the no-anonymity argument.

It's a really tough one. I had a friend who was accused of rape whilst at university, an allegation that was of course made public. Even though the case was dropped before it even got to trial, he suffered a nervous breakdown which ended his university career and he has suffered from severe depression ever since, to the extent that he pretty much can't work. It also drove him to alcoholism, though I'm pleased to say he's now teetotal.

His whole life was ruined. Now, I'm not saying that with anonymity he would have been fine, but that group of friends around him at the time all assumed he was guilty, treated him like shit and made the whole situation many times worse.

Certainly fuels the no-anonymity argument.

It's a really tough one. I had a friend who was accused of rape whilst at university, an allegation that was of course made public. Even though the case was dropped before it even got to trial, he suffered a nervous breakdown which ended his university career and he has suffered from severe depression ever since, to the extent that he pretty much can't work. It also drove him to alcoholism, though I'm pleased to say he's now teetotal.

His whole life was ruined. Now, I'm not saying that with anonymity he would have been fine, but that group of friends around him at the time all assumed he was guilty, treated him like shit and made the whole situation many times worse.

I'm similar on this. I'm aware of the reasons for the 'no anonymity' thing, but I can't support it because of the high potential of a life being ruined by an accusation. I've no doubt the stigma of the mere accusation (and the implications of that for the 'no smoke' mob) can be enough to drive somebody to suicide. I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.

This may have been said before, but it's quite odd, the fact that in the few "celebrity" documentaries that Louis Theroux did, four of the subjects have been involved in sex scandals. Saville, Clifford, and the Hamiltons. Granted the Hamiltons clearly did nothing wrong, but it's still a bit weird.

What other allegations should we have an anonymity ruling on? Murder? Burglary? Yes false allegations are horrible, but they are so few and far between. The way it's played out is that a lack of conviction must mean she was lying. I know this is old ground and innocent till proven guilty has to be the cornerstone. But people who have been raped or assaulted ae scared of coming forward because they won't be believed. That has to change and high profile cases like this do that.

Does anyone think that given the grief the CPS have had over lack of convictions in celebrity cases might have a bearing of Clifford?

What other allegations should we have an anonymity ruling on? Murder? Burglary? Yes false allegations are horrible, but they are so few and far between. The way it's played out is that a lack of conviction must mean she was lying. I know this is old ground and innocent till proven guilty has to be the cornerstone. But people who have been raped or assaulted ae scared of coming forward because they won't be believed. That has to change and high profile cases like this do that.

Except in the eyes of those who believe there's no smoke without fire. And in sex offence cases, that's quite a lot of people. If it were all down to acquittals in court amounting to acquittal in public opinion, that would be fine, but that's not the case - mud sticks. Murder and burglary don't carry anything like the stigma of rape allegations. As daft as it sounds, I'd much rather be accused of murder than rape.

The narrative is framed towards victims lying. Look at the two Corrie actors, it was all "Convict the lying slags for wasting police time". Now, I know that kind of thinking is usually only reserved for celebrities, but the facts show that false allegations are so low, far lower than what is generally thought. For any case to even make it to court, there has to be an overwhelming amount of evidence. Rape cases tend to boil down to one persons word against another. And once it can't be proven, then the survivor is labelled a liar.

The narrative is framed towards victims lying. Look at the two Corrie actors, it was all "Convict the lying slags for wasting police time". Now, I know that kind of thinking is usually only reserved for celebrities, but the facts show that false allegations are so low, far lower than what is generally thought. For any case to even make it to court, there has to be an overwhelming amount of evidence. Rape cases tend to boil down to one persons word against another. And once it can't be proven, then the survivor is labelled a liar.

Out of interest, are you talking specifically rape, or sexual assault in general? If it's rape specifically, we might be at slightly crossed purposes. I served on the jury in a couple of sexual assault cases a few years back and I think that's influenced my opinion towards this, as it terrified me how flimsy the evidence was for these two cases to even make it as far as court.

Yeah I was on about rape. What seems to happen a lot is the prosecution tells the accuser how hard it will be to get a rape conviction so they go for a sexual assault conviction. Can't have been nice sitting on that jury. I know a few who have been on rape juries and it affected them. They also said how difficult it was to ignore the evidence that the judge instructed them to ignore.

Archived