Random thoughts thread v2 *NO NEWS ITEMS*

tiger_rick

Why would a non-contracted job guy be ripping one of the oldest heads in there? He must have been an idiot.

Probably because he'd done so many jobs for the fed he thought he was familiar enough to do it. So yeah, he's thick as fuck.

Also, they mention if you ever see Fatu doing the big splash to the outside on a jobber, that means that jobber had done something before hand and the Headshrikers wanted to hurt him. As you'd imagine, that belly splash with no support under you is stiff as fuck.

They done that more than once? Nice visual, but not exactly the most soundly thought out idea if that was the reason.

Another Headshrinker example was a squash I saw a few years back where Samu murdered a ham'negger with a ghostbuster and he just lay unconscious on the apron for the rest of the match (after being manhandled into that position). You'd assume his lights were out legit if he never moved, yet he appeared to just get left there as the match continued - no bugger even bothered to attend to him. Looked a bit odd.

• Paid Members

Jacque Rougeau was always a cunt to jobbers. Whether it was in the Fabulous Rougeaus or with the Quebecers, he was just a prick. I dont think it was anything personal either, he was just that way. Always ragging people about by the hair, slapping them when in submission holds, just nasty annoying stuff. Then when he had Pierre Oulette with him, they stiff the fuck out of those poor sods. The Cannonball always looked rough. And always great to watch as well. The Quebecers were always the best squash matches.

• Paid Members

Check out the Road Warriors on some of the old episodes of NWA World Championship Wrestling on the Network. They took some ridiculous liberties with those local guys.

• Paid Members

Jacque Rougeau was always a cunt to jobbers. Whether it was in the Fabulous Rougeaus or with the Quebecers, he was just a prick. I dont think it was anything personal either, he was just that way. Always ragging people about by the hair, slapping them when in submission holds, just nasty annoying stuff. Then when he had Pierre Oulette with him, they stiff the fuck out of those poor sods. The Cannonball always looked rough. And always great to watch as well. The Quebecers were always the best squash matches.

In relation, I watched The Rougeaus Vs Rockers from the WWF London 1989 show, and Jacques Rougeau is a fucking treat in that match. His heeling up in that match is superb.

I loved it when The Rougeaus started bringing the little American flags to the ring saying they were now Americans and Jesse started calling them Jack and Ray. Great old school tag team as goodies and baddies. If my memory serves me correctly, they didnt actually have one main moment turning on anyone or that, they just gradually turned bad. I remember they fought the bees on July 4th and i think that was it. At the time when it was announced i thought it was strange two goodie teams fighting each other.

In relation, I watched The Rougeaus Vs Rockers from the WWF London 1989 show, and Jacques Rougeau is a fucking treat in that match. His heeling up in that match is superb.

Absolutely. Because he was brilliant. And the Fabuous Rougeaus were brilliant. Arguably the benchmark for comical, chickenshit heels. .They could get more entertainment, more value, and more reaction out of 10 minutes of stalling and generally just pissing about without even coming into contact with their opponents than most wrestlers today can get from the onslaught of incessant highspots, choreographed reversals and sequences which typify their matches. Underrated babyfaces too from what I can tell from seeing a limited amount of their earlier Montreal stuff.

Their hour long matches with the Rockers have always been a bit of a holy grail for me. None of them probably exist on film but at least there’s loads of Rougeau matches from those type of shows that Richard Land uploads which capture them in their element and is probably the next best thing. From those shows, the Genius is another guy who was great at that sort of hammy schtick too. It’s a simple act really. Mince around, be a prick, cheat like feck and piss the fans off, make them want to see you get your arse handed to you, then duly give them what they want in the most overblown, exaggerated way. It should be easy in theory, but only relatively few heels had the character, attitude, timing and instincts to actually do it well.

Sadly, it's a part of American wrestling that's now practically extinct. You look at the insipid, soulless wrestling landscape today and see modern fans more influenced by wrestling from other countries. They're entirely fixated by the moves, workrate and snowflakes at the expense of all the dramatics and pantomine which was such an important part of what made wrestling what it was before the Attitude era came along.

Ahh man, that's really interesting, like when you hear a song, spend years trying to find out what it is, give up and forget only for someone years later to play the song and tell you it was Alex Party.

Really glad to find out, but a bit deflated that it was attempted murder/Alex party.

Don't give me your life? Is that what it was called? Don't have my copy of Now 30 anymore :(

The older little'un is really into the most recent My Little Pony TV series at the moment. Yesterday, the wife goes, "if they were on Raw, would they be in a stable?"

I loved it when The Rougeaus started bringing the little American flags to the ring saying they were now Americans and Jesse started calling them Jack and Ray. Great old school tag team as goodies and baddies. If my memory serves me correctly, they didnt actually have one main moment turning on anyone or that, they just gradually turned bad. I remember they fought the bees on July 4th and i think that was it. At the time when it was announced i thought it was strange two goodie teams fighting each other.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyfDYTsQHdI

• Paid Members

Killing jobbers is one of those shitarse things in wrestling that I hate the most tbh.

At the end of the day, wrestlers have to trust each other in the ring as a career or possibly life threatening injury is just around the corner. But going around and trying to kill jobbers, while doing Banzai drops on name superstars that wouldn't squash a feather, always seemed in poor taste to me tbh. Taking liberties on someone, just because you can, doesn't make it right.

I guess my memory isnt that great. Was 25plus years ago though so can be forgivent.

• Paid Members

Anyone seen this before? Billy Gunn actually worked in the 80s! If you hear any interview with him, he was discovered in a gym by the Harris Twins, he worked a few shows for Eddy Mansfield and then WWF hired him. In the space of a few months! But this proves otherwise. Mind fucking blown.

• Paid Members

He was telling that story on Cabana's podcast just a few weeks ago. How or why would he forget that he'd been working for four years before he claims to have started out?! That's a bit weird. He talks about how he was pretty much learning on the job from scratch after he was signed.