Random thoughts thread v2 *NO NEWS ITEMS*

tiger_rick

• Paid Members

This recent talk of Brock facing Goldberg at Survivor Series because they've got, "bigger plans for him at Wrestlemania," reminded me, didn't we hear the same reasoning as to why The Undertaker faced Brock Lesnar at Hell In A Cell last year? I recall that being the case, but have absolutely no idea what those supposed bigger plans were. Surely not Ambrose for Lesnar and Shane McMahon for Taker? I know the (god awful) Ambrose vs. Brock deal only came about when the Wyatt stuff fell flat at the Rumble, and I know the Shane McMahon stuff didn't get signed until really late in the day, so what were the original plans? Was it Cena vs. Taker? Was it always going to be Wyatt or Ambrose for Brock?

Injuries screwed up the card and that, but maybe they had Orton v Lesnar in mind for 'Mania. Of course, nowhere near "bigger" than a 'Taker rematch, but Vince once thought Orton v Batista at 'Mania 30 would be the "biggest match of all-time" before the fans decided they weren't into that idea.

Imagine Orton vs Batista at 'Mania. Probably the only match that would replace Orton vs HHH as the most boring main event of all time.

This recent talk of Brock facing Goldberg at Survivor Series because they've got, "bigger plans for him at Wrestlemania," reminded me, didn't we hear the same reasoning as to why The Undertaker faced Brock Lesnar at Hell In A Cell last year? I recall that being the case, but have absolutely no idea what those supposed bigger plans were. Surely not Ambrose for Lesnar and Shane McMahon for Taker? I know the (god awful) Ambrose vs. Brock deal only came about when the Wyatt stuff fell flat at the Rumble, and I know the Shane McMahon stuff didn't get signed until really late in the day, so what were the original plans? Was it Cena vs. Taker? Was it always going to be Wyatt or Ambrose for Brock?

The plan was Undertaker vs Cena, I think. Although there's no way that would've been bigger than Taker wanting revenge on Brock for ending the streak. In retrospect, I really wish they'd done Undertaker vs Cena at WrestleMania 30.

Watching Goldberg vs Triple H from Survivor Series 03, I forgot about Trips wearing the shorts under his trunks to protect his groan injury, they look shit he should've gone for full tights least that would'nt have been obvious something wasnt right.

Also if I remember correctly was'nt the Chamber match made due to trips injury? I know its been mentioned before but Goldberg should've ran through everyone in the chamber and squashing H (so he can take time off and heal) Raw had plenty options and big names then so there was no reason for him to work injured if he would'nt need much time off, Goldberg vs Orton (continuing Evolution feud maybe trips in his corner), Y2J, Kane could've filled Raw for a few months.

That chamber was particularly heartbreaking because I recall Goldberg getting a brilliant reception when he was on a tear in it. Kind of like a Goldberg reaction of old, which up until that point he had been struggling to find during his run on Raw. He starts battering people in the chamber, the crowd are super into it and then Ripple H in his cycle shorts sneaks the win. It was awful.

• Moderators

See, I'm the absolute opposite. South Park's lampooning of nostalgia with Member Berries has summed up how I've been feeling for a few years now. Everyone seems to get nostalgic about anything and everything including shite or things which people were antipathic to in the past.

Edited by PowerButchi

• Awards Moderator

South Park's certainly made me a lot more aware of how nostalgia-centric popular culture is becoming. I never used to notice it but particularly on social media, it's so blatant 'member!ing. WWE's flirted with it in Mania season a lot in recent years (and I guess with Old School Raws) but if they brought the egg back we'd know they've fully embraced the idea. It'd put them in line with the way a lot of people like to think of their entertainment these days, I guess. But I have to add, much as it'd be fun for a quick laugh, I certainly don't think bringing back the egg would be a sensible idea!

• Paid Members

Nostalgia's not new but it has a massive forum now. There's always been nostalgia but when we were kids it's only outlet was your Grandad and his mates banging on about how films, music, football and the like weren't as good as the good old days.

I went to a wedding on Friday night. Loads of late 90s boy band tunes playing. 911 or whoever. Some lad called the music "retro". The late 90s retro. I went home with grey hair.

Edited by tiger_rick

WWE practically is nostalgia anyway. It's like the Stones. They keep releasing new albums but nobody gives a shit. The old stuff is over huge live though. Sure NXT is a nice driving point but the Network was basically a decleration that it's easier to make money off our history than get people to buy the new PPVs.