Random thoughts thread v2 *NO NEWS ITEMS*

tiger_rick

I couldn't really think where to post this on the Brit wres section but what happened to MK McKinnon? He was quite popular around the time I was getting in to the UK scene back in 2012 but haven't heard his name in years and can't seem to find anything online.

I really don't like Tye Dillinger, his entrance is stupid, what the fuck is that little jig he does when he gets in the ring? Also his face, really, really punchable.

How is he the face in this Roode fued?

The whole things fucked these days. They can't make faces likable, anybody they try to make a baby seems to get booed and too many of the heels, likable or not, get cheered and play up to get those cheers.

It seems to be a cultural shift that WWE hasn’t kept up with (which is ironic giving how much they try to shoehorn pop culture into their product to try and remain relevant).

In every other form of entertainment, “bad” guys are loved just because they’re characters. Walter White from Breaking Bad. Acted reprehensible but people love him. Same with the Joker and Deadpool. Even Conor McGregor: acts a bell-end but people lap it up.

The good guy vs. bad guy dynamic that faces and heels are based on is just becoming dated. People are too intelligent and aware to be “guided” on who to cheer and who to boo.

Arguably you had that in the summer '99 with Rock and Austin.   Austin wasn't shy about stunning anyone if they got in his way, and wasn't in a rush to do much unless it got him closer to the WWE title, or gave him a chance to give Vince a smacking.  

Similarly, the Rock seems to be delighting in humiliating back stage workers, throwing money at them so they'll pick it up, starting the "it doesn't matter what your name is...." gimmick and yet, even though he's worlds away from Austin in the way he dresses and acts, he's still the second most over thing on the show at this time.  

Plus in this days its hard to be a heel.   When it suits them, it seems as if all of their world championship matches are contested under no DQ rules ("The refs letting it go here.".)   I'm fairly confident that if they did turn Reins, his heat would go out of the window and he'd end up with apathy or some contrary sods cheering him.       

It's a play on the lyrics to an old folk song. I think its the same song that uses the 'second verse, same as the first' which is quoted a lot more.

Isn't it from I'm Henry the 8th I Am ?

I absolutely love the mental image of Rick Rude listening to this on his way to Nitro and a light bulb coming on above his head.

Just watching some of NXT Brooklyn from last year, it's staggering how over acts like The Vaudvillans and Tyler Breeze are, they got better reactions there than the likes of Rollins/Ambrose get today.

Just over a year later, you can hear crickets when they perform.

The likes of Crews, Corbin, American Alpha are all going the same way too.

Makes you wonder what the long term point of NXT actually is.

• Paid Members

Crews and Corbin got called up a couple of years too early too. Corbin, in particular, was finally starting to show something resembling improvement and they suddenly decided they need him for the show. He's floundered ever since, to little surprise.

Crews will probably always be lesser midcard talent, though.

I couldn't really think where to post this on the Brit wres section but what happened to MK McKinnon? He was quite popular around the time I was getting in to the UK scene back in 2012 but haven't heard his name in years and can't seem to find anything online.

Studying film production at Gloucester Uni

@https://twitter.com/MKMcKinnan?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor

Edited by EdgarTheSlouch

• Paid Members

I recall Kirby and possibly Travis dropping that he looked like a fat lesbian into a promo when he hadn't made an event for some reason. It was nice as up to then I'd always seen Kirby working with the import before the interval photos with the star / raffle shill and he'd never been in a spot to really show much personality.

What happened to TXW legend Helix?

Just watching some of NXT Brooklyn from last year, it's staggering how over acts like The Vaudvillans and Tyler Breeze are, they got better reactions there than the likes of Rollins/Ambrose get today.

Well it's because those acts were booked a lot better than they were after being called up. Not only that but as the attitude era proves, a hot product benefits everybody. If the fans are excited to be there then hey will cheer for everyone

• Paid Members

Well it's because those acts were booked a lot better than they were after being called up. Not only that but as the attitude era proves, a hot product benefits everybody. If the fans are excited to be there then hey will cheer for everyone

I agree with this. It reminds me to an extent of ECW, limited skill level be damned the product and storylines make them interesting so they are over

• Paid Members

This recent talk of Brock facing Goldberg at Survivor Series because they've got, "bigger plans for him at Wrestlemania," reminded me, didn't we hear the same reasoning as to why The Undertaker faced Brock Lesnar at Hell In A Cell last year? I recall that being the case, but have absolutely no idea what those supposed bigger plans were. Surely not Ambrose for Lesnar and Shane McMahon for Taker? I know the (god awful) Ambrose vs. Brock deal only came about when the Wyatt stuff fell flat at the Rumble, and I know the Shane McMahon stuff didn't get signed until really late in the day, so what were the original plans? Was it Cena vs. Taker? Was it always going to be Wyatt or Ambrose for Brock?

• Paid Members

Studying film production at Gloucester Uni

@https://twitter.com/MKMcKinnan?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor

He officially announced he was done with wrestling this year, but having expanded from Fight Club Pro into the likes of Southside and Rev Pro in 2013, he then stank up York Hall against a pre-Villain Marty Scurll on the undercard of When Thunder Strikes, and almost immediately seemed to disappear. He then got injured repeatedly, but did turn heel convincingly in Fight Club Pro for awhile as part of the KYS ("Kill Your Self") faction.

I really don't like Tye Dillinger, his entrance is stupid, what the fuck is that little jig he does when he gets in the ring? Also his face, really, really punchable.

How is he the face in this Roode fued?

I might be reading too much into it, but I feel like Dillinger has a very clever character. He calls himself "The Perfect 10", which on the surface is an egotistical heel gimmick... but he's spent a long time, even with this gimmick, as a jobber. So it feels like him calling himself "The Perfect 10" is like a mantra of positive thinking, there's a sort of quiet desperation to his ring work, where he's scratching and clawing to the top to be The Perfect 10 he claims to be.

Or maybe I just overthink things wayyyy too much. :p

• Paid Members

This recent talk of Brock facing Goldberg at Survivor Series because they've got, "bigger plans for him at Wrestlemania," reminded me, didn't we hear the same reasoning as to why The Undertaker faced Brock Lesnar at Hell In A Cell last year? I recall that being the case, but have absolutely no idea what those supposed bigger plans were. Surely not Ambrose for Lesnar and Shane McMahon for Taker? I know the (god awful) Ambrose vs. Brock deal only came about when the Wyatt stuff fell flat at the Rumble, and I know the Shane McMahon stuff didn't get signed until really late in the day, so what were the original plans? Was it Cena vs. Taker? Was it always going to be Wyatt or Ambrose for Brock?

Injuries screwed up the card and that, but maybe they had Orton v Lesnar in mind for 'Mania. Of course, nowhere near "bigger" than a 'Taker rematch, but Vince once thought Orton v Batista at 'Mania 30 would be the "biggest match of all-time" before the fans decided they weren't into that idea.