Random thoughts thread v2 *NO NEWS ITEMS*

tiger_rick

Tanahashi vs Okada was a bit good weren't it? I was disappointed with their last match but not only was this their best but it beats Tanahashi vs Suzuki as my fav New Japan match since I began following it last year. Okada is somebody that's been fun to watch rising to the top but I was sceptical about him being a guy to base the company around. But there was little moments here that won me over. He's selling, screams of pain and that great moment when he was trying to do some submission thing but couldn't quite flip over for the bridge until after several tries and when he finally succeeded his response of some smug smile, as if to say, "yeah, i know what I'm doing. Fuck you." (I love the way NJ fans react to botches by just laughing at the wrestlers). The focus on the arm was a welcome touch and is what put this match over the edge. Would have loved it even more if that noisy berk on the LAW podcast didn't spoil the result.

The other stuff on the PPV was decent too. Yuji Nagata/Hirooki Goto v. Kazushi Sakuraba/Katsuyori Shibata was shaping up to be a goodun before getting stopped for injury. Poor Sak, that looked nasty. Not sure why they've turned Devitt heel, he seemed to be gaining a lot of support. Him leaving the arena on that big guys shoulders with the lucha mask twisted up on his face was an amusing visual (him calling Tanahashi a 'dickhead' the other month was funny as well). Yano is always entertaining and Minoru Suzuki is my favourite guy in the company, just look at his face . .

417736_493618674036288_2050872588_n.jpg

Its wonderful. Scary, tough and funny all at once. I enjoyed their match together although they've had better. Looking forward to the Suzuki/Okada feud. I can't stand Davey Boy jnr but he's no doubt improved as a 'worker' and his match with Shinsuke was quality. Nakamura has the best theme in wrestling today. New Japan is top fun to watch at the moment.

• Paid Members
Tanahashi vs Okada was a bit good weren't it?

It was utter dynamite. Invasion Attack was my first time watching unspoiled New Japan on a small screen, and it didn't let me down. The whole ending to that show was brilliant. Conway/Kojima and Nakamura/Smith were both very good matches marred slightly by the fact the winners were obvious from the day the matches were announced, but the main event was stunning, dramatic and exciting. After Okada failed to regain the title at Wrestle Kingdom I was firmly in his corner here out of concern for his immediate status as a regular main eventer ; a loss here would have spelled trouble as they surely wouldn't push their luck by presenting Tana defending against him a third time for some considerable time. Plus, I mark hard for Okada, having gone over for the G1 for the main reason of seeing him in a big setting, and we know how that turned out.

I lost count of how many times I thought Hash had him beat, and I had real fears once he was too hurt to cover after the first Rainmaker, but he pulled it out. He also achieved the feat of making me think that he would make the near invincible babyface champion submit to Red Ink (which I think is a shade 80s in terms of a finishing submission hold). The only drawback was that after I finally sat down after Okada's win, I realized they'd ruined WrestleMania for me, because nothing was going to excite me as much as Tanahashi v Okada had.

Two prevailing thoughts here as to why I love New Japan : the simple logical booking of Suzuki coming out to challenge for the next title shot, since he holds the last major singles win over the new champion back at New Beginning. Predictable perhaps, but simple and logical. Secondly, the excitement that main events can generate when the outcome is not crystal clear. At Wrestle Kingdom, I largely expected Okada to win, but the two are extremely well matched and Tanahashi overcame him. In February, by and large I expected Hash to beat Karl Anderson, but given that Anderson has proven he can beat Tanahashi (in the G1) and that last year's New Beginning featured an upset title win by an unfancied challenger (Okada), you really weren't sure. Which brings us to Invasion Attack, with Tanahashi strong because he's been champion since June and won the last time he wrestled his challenger, and Okada riding a wave of momentum from winning the New Japan Cup. Honestly, there isn't a promotion on the planet that does it better in terms of putting together matches that make me want to see them, and I think the unpredictability can play a major role in that, since I tuned in to see who would win the massive title match, compared to 'Mania where five of us watched just to see how Cena, Taker and Hunter would win their matches.

Not sure why they've turned Devitt heel, he seemed to be gaining a lot of support.

It's possible that they want him to be a heel for Tanahashi to run through while Okada is defending against other people, after what happened at their end of their last match. PS seemed to think joining Chaos was on the cards, although don't see that happening now he's got Fale with him. I suppose it adds a different twist to his title defences against a bunch of guys he's already wrestled, until new people break through. I do find it really strange that New Japan put on Devitt vs Taguchi as recently as February considering the turn/split/feud was on the cards.

Nakamura has the best theme in wrestling today.

I won't argue against that. In a company chock full of adrenaline-inspiring cuts - Nagata's, Kojima's, Tenzan's and the epic Kaze Ni Nare - Shinskay's riff is right up there with Grand Sword and Spartan X for me in terms of creating a feeling of "something huge is about to go down." Opening Korakuen with Nakamura coming down in the penultimate day of last year's G1 was a masterstroke for me as it made the whole crowd jump and got the excitement level up right out of the chute, a level which never really dropped off.

Minoru Suzuki is my favourite guy in the company, just look at his face . .

Its wonderful. Scary, tough and funny all at once.

I love him. He's an absolutely superb wrestler, and I think underrated since I never read puro fans talking about his brilliance. His persona is wonderful and I never tire of him booting ring boys off the apron, but his talent as a wrestler is overlooked. In particular, I had the pleasure of seeing him wrestle Wataru Inoue in Yoyogi two years ago, and MiSu during that match convinced me not only could Wataru beat him, but at times that he was on the verge of doing so (as ridiculous as that is to type today) ... before he eventually put Wataru away. I was delighted to watch him pin Tana in Yokohama in last year's G1, which set him up nicely for a title shot after it would conclude. Which goes back to the logical carefully planned booking earlier, and in combination with Marufuji pinning him earlier on and subsequent challenge and Karl Anderson's claim to a shot after pinning Hash on finals day, meant there was plenty to keep the champ busy until Wrestle Kingdom and Okada rolled around.

Plus, I'm reliably informed by one of his students that he's a brilliant and lovely bloke. I mean, look at him.

o0717096011006917146_zpsb19bae4e.jpg

I'd expect Okada and Tana to be kept apart for a bit. There might be a case for Naito finally winning the belt when he comes back from injury, then losing it to Nakamura (it's been far too long since he last had the big belt), only for Nakamura to lose the big belt to Tanahashi, since that side of their rivalry is woefully one-sided and it might be that Tanahashi can finally scrub "beat Nakamura for the belt" off his to-do list. Although having three blokes hold the belt before Tana gets it back would be a bit out of character for New Japan booking. Plus, if Naito turns out to be "X" in the I Title match at Wrestling Dontaku, then I imagine Naito will win, and thus not be taking the big belt any time soon.

Poor Goto ; it's never happening for him.

Man just how far in advance were things being planned and recorded by the WWF in the 80's/90's? I'm currently watching the first Primetime Wrestling of 1990 and the Widowmaker was announced as an entrant in the 1990 Rumble despite Barry Windham leaving the company in late 1989 before the Survivor Series I believe.

Pretty mental.

• Paid Members
Man just how far in advance were things being planned and recorded by the WWF in the 80's/90's?

Pretty far. The finish to the WrestleMania IV tournament was booked with Savage/Hogan for V in mind. Vince was telling Bret he would probably lose the Intercontinental belt to Shawn in the autumn of 1992 before the Rockers had even split up. That's just off the top of my head.

Just tattooed one of the Godfather's hoes. Someone posted an interview with him recently and said they used to find them at local strip clubs, which is true. They got paid 500 quid each and were all taken out with the wrestlers after the show. She's late 30s now and holding up well

Has anyone in wrestling ever had such a great tune but been utterly fucking shite as Jack Swagger? The opening drumbeat and trumpet is majestic, then this lanky, heat draining moron wanders out with his Uncle in a fishing vest. I like Zeb, but fuck me is swagger more bland than bland.

Has anyone in wrestling ever had such a great tune but been utterly fucking shite as Jack Swagger? The opening drumbeat and trumpet is majestic, then this lanky, heat draining moron wanders out with his Uncle in a fishing vest. I like Zeb, but fuck me is swagger more bland than bland.

After the WM match I reckon WWE could have dropped Swagger, never mentioned him again, sent Dutch out with another protege, and no-one would have bothered.

After the WM match I reckon WWE could have dropped Swagger, never mentioned him again, sent Dutch out with another protege, and no-one would have bothered.

The Wyatt Family from NXT, nothing more, Uncle Zeb.