Random thoughts thread v2 *NO NEWS ITEMS*

tiger_rick

• Paid Members

Watching Heroes of World Class and Kerry Von Erich was a good looking bloke wasn't he? I'm as straight as Kamala's pointy stick, but just thought it needed to be said. He may not have had Hogan's coke induced salesmanship, but he could have been worldly popular if he was around in 85 when WWF expanded. He just carries himself better than almost anyone I've ever seen. Robes and steroids. A proper star. I used to quite like the Texas Tornado as a kid, but I liked him in the same why I liked Ricky Steamboat and Davey Boy Smith. The "these seem like nice men, but stay out of the Ultimate Warriors business" kind of popularity. But, he'd have been someone I'd have been super into if the World Class Kerry was in the WWF when I was growing up.

Edited by IANdrewDiceClay

First time i saw texas tornado was on one of those wwf videos they used to do.. Him vs mr perfect for the IC title, for some reason dibiase was the ring announcer and he helped perfect win the match and the belt but the texas torado looked class.

Wouldn't have minded warrior/tornado as a tag team i think they'd have been boss.

Also on that video (i think) they had hogan vs earthquake at summerslam which is a cracking bout as well.

Edited by hitman89762000

The Modern Day Warrior and Warrior Warrior... with a couple of other blokes.

survivor_series_1990_dvd.jpg

Kerry was shot by the time he got to the WWF (not literally, yet, of course). Even towards the end of his WCCW stuff. Unfortunately stories of him walking to the ring with his boot laces undone and boots backwards and shit like that started to sum him up. Sadly, losing his foot was the end of his potential, he peaked in the mid 80's.

Still, even a month before his death, he looked the business:

• Paid Members

I always though Kerry had a fairly goofy looking face although he obviously had a cracking physique, I don't think any of the Von Erich's were particularly handsome but if I had to turn for one it'd probably be Kevin. Gino Hernandez was the real stud of World Class :love: could have seen him making a good IC level wrestler in the WWF if he wasn't such a coke fiend.

• Paid Members

The thing with Kerry was, he was naturally cool as fuck. He did have a slightly goofy look, but it portrayed like the Fonze.

Considering he wasn't someone you ever really heard any dialect from, he had a charisma that can't be created by a gimmick.

Cool cat.

• Paid Members
First time i saw texas tornado was on one of those wwf videos they used to do.. Him vs mr perfect for the IC title, for some reason dibiase was the ring announcer and he helped perfect win the match and the belt but the texas torado looked class.

The reason was that DiBiase was pissed off that Tornado had saved Dustin Rhodes from a beatdown from Ted and Virgil on The Brother Love Show one week previous.

Also on that video (i think) they had hogan vs earthquake at summerslam which is a cracking bout as well.

No, it didn't. The video was Greatest Hits, and the match was Hogan & Tugboat v Rhythm & Blues in which Earthquake and Dino Bravo interfered afterwards.

• Paid Members

Just watching Summerslam 1996 and that four corners tag team title match. Absolutely fucking awful match, but just how much of an absolute tit did Tom Prichard look as Zip? Christ almighty. I'd forgotten Sunny managed The Smokin' Gunns for a while as well.

Just watching Summerslam 1996 and that four corners tag team title match. Absolutely fucking awful match, but just how much of an absolute tit did Tom Prichard look as Zip? Christ almighty. I'd forgotten Sunny managed The Smokin' Gunns for a while as well.

That was just par for the course in 1996 sadly. Pretty much everything about the division was rank rotten that year.

It felt as if it was all some sort of joke to see how bad they could possibly make it. Almost every single regular team were miscast for some inexplicable reason (not that it would have been the greatest division if they were booked to their strengths, but still....). In addition, the Bushwhacker had a 'resurgence' after changing their nationality. Some shit crossdresser hung around with the Bodydonnas. They even brought back the Tekno Team 2000!

It was the weakest the tag division's ever been, and it wouldn't have been difficult to at least make it mildly entertaining, but whoever was booking had lost the plot.

• Paid Members

I did quite enjoy Billy Gunn's ranting and raving, though, when the Gunns were a heel team. "THIS IS WHY I AM THE BEST!" before he missed a Stinger Splash made me giggle.

• Paid Members

Davey Boy Smith and Owen Harts little run with Doug Furnas and Dan Kroffat was pretty great. That made up for the rest of the year being suspect. At least they have a view to make it better. There have been years in the last decade where they just gave up on the tag ranks completely.

• Paid Members
I'd forgotten Sunny managed The Smokin' Gunns for a while as well.

I find that unthinkable. Her outfits during that run, her presence ringside when the Gunns lost the belts to Owen and OOR DAVEY and Billy's infatuation with her playing a part in the Gunns' demise and split have printed that fact on my brain. Mostly the skirts/cutoffs.

Reunited :

tumblr_m64iynAEsA1qgxy6bo1_1280.jpg

If you'd forgotten that week she managed the Godwinns I'd have understood.

They even brought back the Tekno Team 2000!

Yup... for three matches. Bit daft.

It was the weakest the tag division's ever been,

Steady on mate. There were four teams going for the belts most of the summer - Rockers, Gunns, Godwinns and Body Donnas - proper actual tag teams whose actual main goal in the WWF was to be tag team champions, not bored singles stars with nothing better to do. FOUR. That instantly makes it better than the tag team division has been in WWE for YEARS.

Edited by air_raid

• Paid Members

That was when WCW and Bushwhackers came to an agreement on a deal and WWF (out of spite, but really the joke was on them) brought the Bushwhackers back and put them on TV because they still had them under contract. Bushwhackers had this deal where they could get out of their contract if they weren't active for a while or some shit, so when WWF found out Luke and Butch were in big demand, they started using them again. The Bushwhackers were subject to a bidding war around the same time Steve Austin cut his Austin 3:16 promo. What a fucked up world 1996 was.

I wonder, though. Since WWF owned the Bushwhackers gimmick, do you think they'd have turned up in the nWo in a more serious gimmick. They were feared like fuck for years as the Sheepherders. So they might have been used in that role. Especially with Sullivan booking. Davey Boy was going to be in them and Kama was going to be in the nWo as well around that period. They seemed to be wanting all ex-WWFers in the nWo at the time.

Edited by IANdrewDiceClay