Random thoughts thread v2 *NO NEWS ITEMS*

tiger_rick

• Moderators
I really don't like Ryback, I don't see what everyone else sees in him and I haven't enjoyed any of matches up until this one, I thought he did a decent job. The finish was one of the match was actually one of my favourite things about Wrestlemania this year, Mark Henry should use that as a finish again!

He's never given me any reason to expect him to be able to put together a half decent match, and he's been a total goof since he was Skip Sheffield, but I still like him anyway! He's a bit of a loveable big dummy. You can tell he's trying really hard. I think it helps that he looks a lot like one of my friends.

Edited by Chest Rockwell

Yeah.. I wasn't a fan of the post-match shenanigans; I assume that's what has coloured everyones' overall opinon of it.

But the match itself I thought was good and the finish, as you mention, I thought was pretty cool. It referenced the build up nicely.

I thought the finishing spot was great. Pretty creative, logical, and looked good, whilst not being decisive so there was scope for the feud to continue.

The match as a whole was decent I thought. For all the ott Henry worship, that extended bearhug was lame though. He could at least have tried to make it look like he was putting a bit of effort/pressure into it. He redeemed himself a bit with that sick looking headbutt as it was being broken out though,

On the subject of spots, one minor thing I loved at Wrestlemania were those DDT's in the main event - they looked absolutely fantastic! I love a good DDT (preferably as a finisher, mind) and those were the best I've saw in a long time, particularly considering neither of them are renowned for their excellent execution. Sucks that something like has been reduced to a nothing move .

I thought the end of the Ryback/Henry match was a bit flat actually. That spot has been done by Cena and Big Show a few times and possibly with Sheamus and Show too and I don't remember any of the matches ending with it. As we are constantly told as well, Big Show is the "largest athlete in the world". I though Ryback would kick out and we'd get a few more impressive spots before the finish.

The bearhug was a proper crowd killer too, as mentioned above.

I Had high hopes for that match actually, because I thought that either A) The crowd would be hugely behind Henry and it would be quite amusing or B) they'd actually have a good old fashioned powerhouse smash-fest (a bit like the match with Henry Vrs either Show or Sheamus).

It was all rather underwhelming.

• Paid Members
I embarassed myself by saying it might turn out to be good. It was rubbish. Even during the match, I was saying 'give it time' and then the finish happened.

"Time" is the last thing they needed. Two tanks colliding should be short and explosive, not drawn out "storytelling." Keep your storytelling when at least one participant has boundless energy to keep moving or decent stamina to take a whupping and build drama for a fiery babyface comeback. Not an irresistible (but limited) force VS an immovable (but plodding) object.

So, I just purchased the Best of Nitro Vol. 2 DVD, and working through it makes me wish that a) I was about 5 years older when the Monday Night Wars happened and b) that I was able to watch WCW at the time. Growing up, I was always a WWF guy, the first I had really seen of WCW was the Invasion storyline. Now, I've seen various matches from WCW in recent years in the Flair, Pillman, Jericho and Mysterio DVDs, but this Nitro set does a great job of capturing the real essence of WCW programming with a combination of segments and different types of matches featuring the spectrum of talent WCW had. The crowd reactions to the nWo were immense, whether they were getting "cool heel" cheers or getting trash thrown at them (which happens in near every segment so far), the people had a huge emotional response. It really highlights how apathetic the crowds are now.

It might be 12 years too late, but I'm officially a WCW convert. Any recommendations of DVDs/shows/matches would be much appreciated. :)

I'd echo your comments it must have been a fantastic time to be watching wrestling, especially as a fan in America. I've been working through 1996 and 1997 during the past year and have been really enjoying it. In fact I've enjoyed it to such a degree that I struggle to watch current WWE product (Not that it should impact that but it has).

Its a shame there isn't a regularly active WCW thread on here.

• Paid Members
It might be 12 years too late, but I'm officially a WCW convert. Any recommendations of DVDs/shows/matches would be much appreciated. :)

Spring Stampede 99 is probably best bet for a PPV from the last few years of the Monday Night era.

• Moderators

Why? It's pretty much all been covered now in the past 12 years, even down to discussing Bob Mould from Husker Du ending up on the booking committee. Nothing that can't go in this thread here when something pops up now and again.

I embarassed myself by saying it might turn out to be good. It was rubbish. Even during the match, I was saying 'give it time' and then the finish happened.

"Time" is the last thing they needed. Two tanks colliding should be short and explosive, not drawn out "storytelling." Keep your storytelling when at least one participant has boundless energy to keep moving or decent stamina to take a whupping and build drama for a fiery babyface comeback. Not an irresistible (but limited) force VS an immovable (but plodding) object.

I agree with you and that's where it went wrong. I mean that during the match, I could feel me reaching for the napkin to wipe the egg from my face. I was hoping it'd have a good end sequence that would make the match worthwhile so I could say 'see, it weren't that bad'.

I've bummed it on here hundreds and hundreds of times, but I've just spent an hour bouncing from video to video watching it back because it's so class. Can we all talk about HHH's Smackdown run? Fucking great, just great. A nice call back to the Stephanie/Test wedding when he busted Edge, a virtually forgotten PPV feud between the two, rocking up at Unforgiven to piss about in a Scramble match, and in my opinion one of his finest moments as a pro-wrestler - the match with Khali at Summerslam.

I'm no mega HHH fan, nor am I a hater of his stuff (anymore), but I think that has replaced 2000 has my favourite period of his work. It's phenomenal.

It was fantastic. Triple H being on Smackdown elevated the show to the best it had been arguably since its 2003 days, which I missed first time around due to not watching for a year but caught later on. As great as Raw was with Jericho and HBK, Cena was out injured, Batista was probably at his blandest and Punk, Kane and Rey were all doing nothing of note.

Triple H's matches and rivalries with Edge and Hardy were solid, perhaps he felt he had to prove he was still at the top of his game even if he was on the B-show, then again; I'm sure he had a large say on whether he got drafted or not.

Edited by thesimonbegz