General music thread

Devon Malcolm

Public Service Broadcasting are fucking brilliant and their new track is ace as well:-

Yeah, they played that live when I saw them. Absolutely brilliant band. Are you going to see them at Sound Control? An amazing experience. I'm seeing them on Saturday in Coventry.

He's tried to make a pop album for muso's.

It would have been fine on some songs, but there are certain tracks where being a 3 minute, radio-ready pop track would have been okay.

Hes probably aware, too, that though his last album hinted at that muso pop/r n b sound, Frank Ocean has since come along and really owned that territory. That's probably why the new album is so cynically overdone, a 'I'm the king of this' type deal.

But no one should be surprised, he's always banged on abou making 'pop' credible in the same way rock or blues are seen as credible. His PR for this album has pretty much hinged on one sentence; 'if Led Zep and Pink Floyd can have ten minute tracks, why can't I?'. He's used that line everywhere.

It really is an album for critics to toss off to. The 7-8 minute songs are a real chore to get through because they reach their natural endings and then they're drawn out for the final 2-3 minutes, and because the material itself just isn't that good. The only two exceptions to all of that are Tunnel Vision and Don't Hold The Wall.

The long running times and alterations at the end also mean that Timbaland has to do a lot more work. He ends up centre stage instead of Justin Timberlake.

And if Justin Timberlake can't figure out why Pop songs aren't usually 8 minutes long, this is why. It sucks out the fun, and it's ridiculous to try to make epics out of songs with lyrics like, "We can make love on the moon," and, "My blueberry lollipop."

It's an arrogant album that isn't even half as good as it thinks it is.

In the immortal words of Alicia Silverstone in Clueless, that's way harsh, boys.

There's a huge difference between confidence and arrogance and I think JT has absolutely nailed the former, even if the album suffers a little for it. Could a bunch of the tracks be shorter? Absolutely, but let's not confuse arrogance with ambition. Not everything works here and anyone expecting Futuresex/Lovesounds II will be disappointed, but what right do they have to even expect such a thing in the first place? 'My Love' might well be in my top ten favourite songs of all time (definitely make the top twenty anyway) and I would have liked JT to work with someone like Trent Reznor but I knew it wasn't going to happen. At the very least, the guy has made three very different, distinct records and he's taken his time in doing so. It's a pleasure to see an artist in control rather than them churning out the same old dreck year on year (see Swift, Taylor).

Yep, there are definite misfires. I'm not sold on 'Pusher Love Girl'. 'Strawberry Bubblegum' is as eye-rolling as its title, 'Suit & Tie' still sounds like the new McDonald's ad and the Jay-Z verse is arguably his most pedestrian guest spot (and that's saying something) and 'Spaceship Coupe' would be rejected by R Kelly but what works works. 'Tunnel Vision' is gold, 'Let The Groove Get In' is charming and infectious as hell and 'Blue Ocean Floor' is EOY list material. It does seem like he's trying to be all things to all fans at times and there's a ton of homages/lifts/inspirations from the likes of Prince, Michael Jackson, Bruno Mars and more but Timberlake never sounds like he's imitating or cynically following trends. It's an album with problems, but to call it arrogant or self-indulgent or written for critics is doing it, and him, a tremendous disservice. Credit to the dude for not drowning the album in the usual plethora of guest spots that seems to be suffocating in its current omnipresence.

In summation - JT rules and he's earned the right to release an album that isn't perfect but still hits the high notes when it needs to.

• Paid Members

FUCK JUSTIN TIMBERLAKE.

I'm presuming many will already have seen these, but bollocks. The music I can take or leave. The videos on the other hand, especially the second one, are something else. And maybe NSFW for violence and bad language.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=playe...p;v=QYm-dT24iRY

http://vimeo.com/62092214

About a year ago I bought a jazz album in the record store because it looked pretty cool. It was Blacknuss by Rahsaan Roland Kirk. I didn't know anything about the guy at the time.

Rip, Rig And Panic might be my favourite jazz record of all. It strikes the perfect balance of being head noddingly accessible and a head fuck.

Anyway DIRTY plug for my band Bad Little Kittens. Bit rock n roll this track.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=playe...;v=iCmqnG9Zd-g#!

• Moderators
Yeah, best waiting for the album. You won't be disappointed, though, I'd go as far as saying it's one of the best albums you'll ever spend time with.

Fuck yeah. Arrived today. Great album.

"A Meeting of the Times" is also very good, particularly side 2. "Here Comes the Whistleman" was a bit more of a standard affair. Still good, but only moments of anything really interesting. Still worth the time though.

Only those three listened to so far.

• Paid Members

Excellent. I've never listened to A Meeting of the Times, but I thought Here Comes the Whistleman was pretty good - granted, not his best work.

Seeing as I'm here, I've been getting into Chris Isaak, in recent months. Pre being arsed, I didn't know much about him other than Wicked Games and that he was in Twin Peaks, but his work is surprisingly good. He's released some shite as well, but albums like Forever Blue and Heart Shaped World are getting a lot of play. The production on his albums are usually spot on too.

• Paid Members

Do we post music news here? Anyway:

NEW DAFT PUNK ALBUM RELEASED MAY 20TH

Fuck yes. Fuck fuck yes. Human After All was yeeears ago now and the Tron soundtrack (as good as it was) wasn't a proper Daft Punk album, thus it merely whet the appetite. I hope they follow this up with a massive tour, I will die a very sad man if I don't get to finally see them. Here's the supposed album cover:

4e6c6fb2.jpg

• Moderators
FUCK JUSTIN TIMBERLAKE.

I'm presuming many will already have seen these, but bollocks. The music I can take or leave. The videos on the other hand, especially the second one, are something else. And maybe NSFW for violence and bad language.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=playe...p;v=QYm-dT24iRY

http://vimeo.com/62092214

Only just got around to watching the Bad motherfucker video.. It's so fucking good!

• Paid Members

Fantastic, isn't it? I would watch a whole feature film of that, I have to say. Give these guys a few million dollars and let them do it.

And yes, echoing the Daft Punk excitement from PunkStep. I thought the Tron soundtrack was superb. Can't wait for this and I'm hardly arsed about albums these days but this and Public Service Broadcasting might revive my interest.