General music thread

Devon Malcolm

The new Laura Marling album is streaming/has leaked. Wish people would stop comparing her to Joni Mitchell, as she isn't close to being in her league. That said, it is an excellent album, some great songs on there. Just wish she wasn't so earnest at times.

There's some token hip hop and Asian girls in there but i see what you mean. I'm still a Kurt fan even after all these years, my first cassette was a copy of Bleach and i think i wore the bastard out.

I'm sure he would have had a wider range of tastes in the internet era.

Yeah, probably. Doesn't stop me from still loving the fuck out of 'Incesticide', probably my favourite thing they released.

Listening to the Daft Punk album again, and it really is fantastic. The first five songs at least. The backlash has been as over the top as the initial hype, this is a really solid album

• Moderators

Music request!

Does anyone have any recommendations for me for 60s/70s psych rock from the USA or Britain/Europe?

I like Jimi, obviously, and the Doors too. The Simpsons turned me on to Quicksilver Messenger Service but beyond that I know very little of the Western proponents of the genre and am much more familiar with their African counterparts.

(oh yeah, I like Beefheart and Starks Reality, not sure if those qualify)

edit: much to my shame I've never really bothered listening to the Beatles, so if you want to recommend any of their more psychedelic stuff in here too please do.

Edited by Chest Rockwell

Black Mass by Lucifer aka Mort Garson? It's more early electronic psyche but damn it's good.

Necromandus maybe for a more British rock sound, although a bit Sabbathy. Psyche-rock isn't really something i have much knowledge in, sadly, i think it's time to change that.

Does anyone have any recommendations for me for 60s/70s psych rock from the USA or Britain/Europe?

More psychedelic 'summer of love' pop than Jimi Hendrix guitar wielding acid tracks....

The Beatles - Strawberry Fields Forever

The Beatles - I Am The Walrus

The Zombies - Hung Up On A Dream -

The Zombies - Beechwood Park -

The Byrds - Eight Miles High - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WH6UnvSlahc

Big Brother And The Holding Company - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0B41tBTTko (kind of got that stoned psychedelic vibe to it, especially the guitars)

Don't really know much of the truly weird psychedelic stuff that was going on in the late 60s, always meant to get round to it but haven't done so yet.

• Paid Members
I do not. Please name some tracks to check out!

Trus', my recommendations are the ones to check out, you'll dig those bands, i'll give you some links when I get home from work if I'm not too busy wanking to Man of Steel photos & pissing in sinks.

Edited by Steve 'Big' Jobs

• Paid Members

Check out "Oar" by Skip Spence.

EDIT - Sorry for the short post, our office internet has been shit all week so far, and my phone internet is shit always. Skip Spence was a legit mental, broken by LSD and other circumstances, but "Oar" is a masterpiece.

Oar - Skip Spence

Also, here's a bonus from the "More Oar" tribute album - probably Spence's last work, recorded as part of a music therapy program.

Edited by Tuxedomoon

• Paid Members
I do not. Please name some tracks to check out!

This is from 1965 which is pretty ancient, the band are the Monks and they were American soldiers stationed in Germany who were only together for one album, I love this band, they even shaved their hair into monks tonsures. The album Black Monk time is great.

13th floor Elevators were one of the pioneers of psychedelic music in the US, they were notable for using unusual sounds in their music like the electric jug (whatever that is). The frontman Roky Erickson still performs.

13th Floor Elevators - Reverberation 1966

• Paid Members

Jefferson Airplane were quite a big group of that genre.

The Shaggs!!! Wow! Not heard them in years. Apparently their album is seen to have been one of the shittest/worse ever made. Clearly whoever said that never caught any tunes from Sondra Prill.

Music request!

I like Jimi, obviously, and the Doors too. The Simpsons turned me on to Quicksilver Messenger Service but beyond that I know very little of the Western proponents of the genre and am much more familiar with their African counterparts.

(oh yeah, I like Beefheart and Starks Reality, not sure if those qualify)

edit: much to my shame I've never really bothered listening to the Beatles, so if you want to recommend any of their more psychedelic stuff in here too please do.

220px-Nuggets,_Volume_1.jpg

I can highly recommend this as a great starting point for 60s psych.