General music thread

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

The metalheads can stick to their own smelly, lank-haired thread.

I principally made this thread to say that I hate Everything Everything but I think it's also worth mentioning that Public Enemy currently have their biggest ever chart hit for Harder Than You Think, and it was as high as number 4 last week. Quality!

I think between them, downloads and the X-Factor have really killed the music charts. Just so I'm not misunderstood, I'm not doing a 'down with this sort of thing' rant about Simon Cowell totally ruining British music, though I do hate him for killing the Christmas #1. I'm talking about the actual charts themselves. When I was younger I used to get a weird pleasure from watching a song I liked climb up the charts (though, with the songs I liked, that hardly ever happened), and even more so when records or bands I liked hit #1. Even today, I occasionally like looking back through online archives of music charts to remind me what was tearing up the radio and the nightclubs when I was in my teens.

Charts just seem mad and all over the place now, though. Even at the best of times, you might have 3 or 4 Adele songs stinking up the top 100, and I especially hate that thing with downloads where some fucker dies and then you have their songs taking up half of the top 20. At least back when Freddie died we did it properly and waited for them to re-release Bohemian Rhadsody.

Just going to recommend some of the things I've been listening to recently. Don't ask for a description or anything, I'm no good at that.

Why? - Mumps Etc.

Dinosaur Jr. - I Bet On Sky

Passion Pit - Gossamer

Animal Collective - Centipede Hz.

Decent selection of different stuff there, and I'll echo the Public Enemy pleasure, even if I did get a bit sick of the short bit they played over the course of the Olympics.

• Paid Members

I was actually looking for a music thread on here the other day to say this;

I think Frank Black's first two solo albums are the best albums of the 90s and he's the greatest alternative rock artist of all time, the Pixies were obviously amazing but I think his early solo stuff is overlooked and it's fantastic.

*edited for using the word amazing too many times* although it was warranted

Edited by Steve 'Big' Jobs

I think between them, downloads and the X-Factor have really killed the music charts. Just so I'm not misunderstood, I'm not doing a 'down with this sort of thing' rant about Simon Cowell totally ruining British music, though I do hate him for killing the Christmas #1. I'm talking about the actual charts themselves. When I was younger I used to get a weird pleasure from watching a song I liked climb up the charts (though, with the songs I liked, that hardly ever happened), and even more so when records or bands I liked hit #1. Even today, I occasionally like looking back through online archives of music charts to remind me what was tearing up the radio and the nightclubs when I was in my teens.

Charts just seem mad and all over the place now, though. Even at the best of times, you might have 3 or 4 Adele songs stinking up the top 100, and I especially hate that thing with downloads where some fucker dies and then you have their songs taking up half of the top 20. At least back when Freddie died we did it properly and waited for them to re-release Bohemian Rhadsody.

Its amazing how many people become fans once an artist dies.

Obviously Gladders has made it clear that, as a metal fan, I shouldn't be here but as a music fan, I will say this

The charts have been dead for a longtime, getting a #1 single is a piece of piss these days. Having said that, the only time I hear chart radio is when the misses is driving and had Capitol/Radio1 or Viking FM (local) on, but it seems to have been the same tunes for months now: Pitbull ft. Ne-Yo, Nicki cunting Minajh, Rita Ora, Carley Ray Jepsom (I think that's her name), Katy Perry, Jessie J, Bill from the Black Eyed Peas, the piece of rot known as David Gueta and the biggest fleshwaste of them all, Rhianna who seems to have a new top ten hit every week

I was in asda yesterday and Pixie Lott - Boys & Girls (think its called that, from her first album) was on. Now, obviously not a fan of hers either, but, I thought to myself "even this pop, from only 2/3 years ago, sounds a million miles away from the pop of today". Every song is some shite dance/trance track with a whore in it banging on about getting absolutely cunted at the weekend. Writing proper music is fast becoming a lost artform

Edited by KingOfMetal

Sign of me getting old, but where is are the tunes. I listened to the radio every day for 2 weeks over the summer as was blaring out ROck FM on one of the placements I was on and it it wasnt well gret. Only things that stood out were Aviici, Bruno Mars, Pitbull and of course Flo Rida, again!

I know it is all about being easy consumption and such like, but is it age or genuinely missing things? the 3 minute pop song is a fine art, but there appears to be much sounding similar to each other to maximise revenue

It was always thus, so what are the standouts?

• Paid Members

I think Frank Black's first two solo albums are the best albums of the 90s and he's the greatest alternative rock artist of all time, the Pixies were obviously amazing but I think his early solo stuff is overlooked and it's fantastic.

His solo efforts don't get nearly enough love. A favourite of mine is Show Me Your Tears, no filler on that one (even features Van Dyke Parks, on piano).

I've been listening to the new Swans album, The Seer, constantly for the past two weeks. When the Swans got back together a few years ago and released My Father Will Guide Me Up A Rope To The Sky, I thought the reunion was a big mistake; the album was, sadly, disappointing. Thankfully The Seer kicks my pessimism in the wind pipe, it's the best album I've heard in a while.

It features Karen O and Ben Frost, for those that are into either artist.

Edited by Blackson Jackson

• Paid Members
Sign of me getting old, but where is are the tunes. I listened to the radio every day for 2 weeks over the summer as was blaring out ROck FM on one of the placements I was on and it it wasnt well gret. Only things that stood out were Aviici, Bruno Mars, Pitbull and of course Flo Rida, again!

I know it is all about being easy consumption and such like, but is it age or genuinely missing things? the 3 minute pop song is a fine art, but there appears to be much sounding similar to each other to maximise revenue

It was always thus, so what are the standouts?

6Music plays high quality pop music on a regular basis. Just like always, if you look in the right places you will find good music. The charts may be shitter but music patently is not.

• Moderators

Nigel Buxton starred in one of his music videos too.

• Paid Members

i'll check them out.

• Paid Members

What's the last album everyone bought? I have to admit that 90% of music that I buy these days is over fifteen years old. I just picked up the Greatest Hits of Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers. Having said that, I did get the new Vaccines album last week and although it took a few listens, I think it's a cracking follow-up to last year's debut.

What's the last album everyone bought? I have to admit that 90% of music that I buy these days is over fifteen years old. I just picked up the Greatest Hits of Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers. Having said that, I did get the new Vaccines album last week and although it took a few listens, I think it's a cracking follow-up to last year's debut.

Last shop bought one was probably Endeverafter or something. not the biggest downloader in the world