General music thread

Devon Malcolm

• 11 months later...
  • Paid Members

The Offspring just sold their masters and back catalogue to some huge company, it means the band have no control over how their music is used and won't make any more royalties from it. It doesn't include Smash (their only good album) because that's owned by Epitaph records. They got 35 million dollars, it's like the ultimate sell out, expect to hear lots of offspring songs in ads for the rest of your life.

http://consequenceofsound.net/2016/01/the-offspring-just-sold-their-entire-catalog-for-35-million/

I don't know about you guys but im already drinking a bottle of jack and coke waiting to watch the lemmy funeral.

Im really torn about how im going to feel watching it because icons like lemmy and ozzy are litterally the reason i started performing and touring around the country. With lemmy passing away i genuinely feel like this is the begining of the end for the pioneers of the industry.

I don't know about you guys but im already drinking a bottle of jack and coke waiting to watch the lemmy funeral.

Im really torn about how im going to feel watching it because icons like lemmy and ozzy are litterally the reason i started performing and touring around the country. With lemmy passing away i genuinely feel like this is the begining of the end for the pioneers of the industry.

I don't think I've ever drunk this much before a funeral. Started on the Honey Jack earlier(I had a sore throat) then moved to the proper stuff acouple of hours ago. It's a shame, if Lemmy is dead what chance have the rest of us got?

Here's to Lemmy! (I raised my glass then)

• Paid Members

Anyone else dig Gordon Lightfoot?

Never heard of him. Really liked that though. Great lyrics.

The wife just suggested this, and it's a gorgeous, sexy little chill-out number. Recommended if you like the odd cover. Nouvelle Vague.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfvIMTlM4sY 

Good find. Lovely sound. The two lasses are bloody lovely too.

I don't think I've ever drunk this much before a funeral. Started on the Honey Jack earlier(I had a sore throat) then moved to the proper stuff acouple of hours ago. It's a shame, if Lemmy is dead what chance have the rest of us got?

Here's to Lemmy! (I raised my glass then)

Well i started watching it, had a fit and ended up with tubes and shit hanging out of me with them testing for bleed's on my brain.

so i got just past his son's speech which i know wasn't alot but i just decided to fucking break.

genuinley gutted about

• 3 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Really sad news about Black - should have had a longer time with a higher profile, but I suppose he didn't want that.

I asked for the reissue/reimagining of John Cale's Music for a New Society for Christmas - didn't get it, but has no idea it was coming out on Spotify as well. Just an incredible album, an oasis in the middle of Cale's insane punk chicken-decapitating late 70s, and his weird later 80s output that gradually wound towards pointlessness. Amazing to think that "Close Watch" was intended for Sinatra.

• Paid Members

In news that will probably only interest bAz, Colin Verncombe, aka Black has died after a car crash. Wonderful Life is his best known song but I got the album as a teenager for my birthday and it is sublime.

Aye, such a great song and album he left behind too. RIP.

Edited by bAzTNM#1

• Paid Members

Really sad news about Black - should have had a longer time with a higher profile, but I suppose he didn't want that.

I asked for the reissue/reimagining of John Cale's Music for a New Society for Christmas - didn't get it, but has no idea it was coming out on Spotify as well. Just an incredible album, an oasis in the middle of Cale's insane punk chicken-decapitating late 70s, and his weird later 80s output that gradually wound towards pointlessness. Amazing to think that "Close Watch" was intended for Sinatra.

It's his best album by some distance, IMO. Partly because you come out of it feeling like you've just overcome a panic attack; not sure an album has ever captured a blokes meltdown in such a way before. It's also the reason I rarely give it a listen.

The M:FANS remixes have their moments. Some are pretty unnecessary listens (Chinese Envoy, for example).

• Paid Members

Yeah, I can see that — it feels like someone writing about their breakdown after the fact, whilst some of his best work from the time before MFANS is a man descending into a major breakdown — “Leaving It Up to You” is chilling for this reason. MFANS is probably tied for me with “Sabotage/Live”, because I love how raw that record is — the title track is probably in my top ten songs.

Haven’t listened to too much of M:FANS, but I feel like the reworkings are starting to do the opposite of growing on me — I loved “Close Watch” at first (think I posted in in the Song of the Day thread), but now I’m finding it very irritating.