General music thread

Devon Malcolm

• 3 months later...

The new album by Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds, Skeleton Tree, is one of the toughest albums I've ever heard. It's beautiful, painful, and you feel like a voyeur and grief thief rolled into one, but... it's stunning.

• Paid Members

The new album by Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds, Skeleton Tree, is one of the toughest albums I've ever heard. It's beautiful, painful, and you feel like a voyeur and grief thief rolled into one, but... it's stunning.

It's remarkable, eh? I've heard/read Cave a few times talk about how important Song of Love and Hate by Leonard Cohen is to him and what an impact it made on him as a teenager. He's said the thing he found alluring about it is how bitter, bruised, raw, but beautiful it all is. I bring it up because, obviously, Skeleton Tree reminds me of it's bleakness (if not it's music and the instruments used); like a very modern production of it. You nailed it by saying you feel like a voyeur listening to Cave sing something like "All the things we love, we love, we love, we lose".

I've lost some people really close to me this year, so the album very nearly had me in bits when I gave it a proper go. It's maybe the first Cave album I've felt an instant connection to since Do You Love Me? hooked me in. Not sure how many listens it will get though. Like Song of Love and Hate, or Music For A New Society by John Cale, it's just such a hard album to sit through without getting swept up in all the intense melancholy.

Again, remarkable.

Edited by ColinBollocks

• 2 months later...
  • Paid Members

Listened to the Weeknd's new album a few times now — it's okay, I guess. Can't shake the feeling that it's a big blah sandwich — two delicious slabs of Daft Punk, sandwiched around about 16 tracks of varying interestingness.

Haven't listened to Frank Ocean's "Blonde" enough to be definitive, but it's better than "Channel Orange" — I felt like that album was a coming-to-terms with being a commercial artist who got to release real albums, whilst this one feels like he's got his grip on being an interesting R&B artist. I'd liken the ambience to a man reminiscing about his 29 years on the earth whilst dying in a slow-motion car crash.

• Paid Members

Correct about The Weekend's album being all about the two Daft Punk tracks and not much else. Wrong about Blonde being better than channel Orange. Lost, Pyramids and Bad Religion are great tracks albeit on the commercial side of R&B, whatever that actually means these days. White Ferrari on Blonde is a great song but I find the rest to be pretty bland closing in on outright boring.

Rae Sremmurd's new album is inoffensive and quite an enjoyable listen, peaks with Black Beatles obviously but the rest doesn't move too much from that sort of standard.

Edited by stumobir

• 1 year later...
  • Paid Members

I knew Steve Cropper was a highly regarded session musician (I knew him from the Blues Brothers), but I saw a documentary on BBC4 about musical "side men" last night and I was totally blown away by his contribution to music. His legacy as a figure in soul music is absolutely staggering and his defiance of racial divide in the 60s is inspiring. What a man, he's still kicking around and enjoying his life as one of the ultimate old musicians too which is nice.

50 minutes ago, Bellenda Carlisle said:

I knew Steve Cropper was a highly regarded session musician (I knew him from the Blues Brothers), but I saw a documentary on BBC4 about musical "side men" last night and I was totally blown away by his contribution to music. His legacy as a figure in soul music is absolutely staggering and his defiance of racial divide in the 60s is inspiring. What a man, he's still kicking around and enjoying his life as one of the ultimate old musicians too which is nice.

Yeah, that was ace.  There were a few docs on Netflix of a similar topic worth watching.  Wrecking Crew and 20 Feet From Stardom have gone but Hired Gun is on there.

• Paid Members

Took me dear old ma to see Steve Cropper when he toured with "The Animals" (one original member left, the drummer) a couple of years ago.

He was great, telling stories between the songs about the writing/recording of them. Sub-par singer, though...

And yeah, I love the Anvil doc too. They just seem like such nice blokes.

• Paid Members

I went to an Anvil signing when the DVD came out, there was a lady in front of me in the short queue who was carefully holding a painstakingly home made replica of Anvil's drum kit (it was about the size of a birthday cake), she was obviously proud of it and buzzing about giving it to the band. When she got to the front of the line she gleefully held it up to the drummer (the improbably named Robb Reiner) and he just blankly looked at her like he'd never seen anything he cared about less in his life. Lips and the band's handler tried to get some life in him by nudging him and saying "wow, isn't that cool" and stuff but Robb continued to sit completely blankly like he was trying to read a far away number plate out of boredom, the girl looked a bit downhearted as she placed the little drum kit next to him without any particular acknowledgement.

• Paid Members

I do feel a bit sorry for the girl in question because I’ve made custom figures, most of it was for sale but there was the odd item I made as I knew that person would get a buzz out of it. A figure for Lanny Poffo and one for Cyber Kong spring to mind, but my point being you need to know your audience. I’d never make a figure for someone who has a reputation of being a dick/cold towards fans. I’d only bother if they had shared previous gifts on social media, and expressed how chuffed they were etc etc. (Always end up walking away with some of their merch too).

I absolutely love the fact he no sold it, even after being prompted, just ‘na’.

5C457BA4-D3CB-4CFF-B6B8-D58FFF9FA915.gif

Edited by Kaz Hayashi

• 1 month later...

I asked my brother would it be worth my while to go to a concert just to see Cheap Trick supporting Def Leppard when the only song I know is "Photograph" and he turned me on to "When Love and Hate Collide". 

Fuck me, that's a great song. That guitar solo. I have it on constant repeat.

Any other songs I should listen to?

• Paid Members
12 minutes ago, NoUseforaUsername said:

I asked my brother would it be worth my while to go to a concert just to see Cheap Trick supporting Def Leppard when the only song I know is "Photograph" and he turned me on to "When Love and Hate Collide". 

Fuck me, that's a great song. That guitar solo. I have it on constant repeat.

Any other songs I should listen to?

How about "I'll Tumble 4 Ya" by Culture Club?