General music thread

Devon Malcolm

• 1 year later...

Let Forever Be, and the accompanying Michel Gondry video, is one of the best things of the 90s. It's a testament to the brothers how in the space of two singles they managed to make Noel Gallagher cool as fuck and retroactively make it sound as though Ringo Starr invented big beat music. 

I can't find a link to back this up, but I recall a story going around that when Noel came down to the studio to do the vocal on Setting Sun he told the taxi driver "keep the fare running, this won't take long". 

Talking about The Who, I can’t recommend the 1973 double album Quadrophenia highly enough. There’s nothing that compares to it in the whole of rock music. I’ve been listening to it for decades and am still discovering new elements to it. I know every line of its lyrics by heart. It’s a Life Changing album.

• 2 months later...
  • Awards Moderator

Spotify tells me for the third year running my most listened to artist is John Williams. 20191205_081404.thumb.jpg.1c8424aab4971e7859212ce39579f17f.jpg

I think I break this algorithm a bit. I don't listen to a lot of the same thing which most people do. I hear something interesting and then I drill into the Radio for it and spin off again. I listen to a lot of music while working and I can't be doing lyrics while I work. I end up bouncing around soundtracks. 

The decade view isn't much clearer:

20191205_081305.thumb.jpg.a2e494f098e34e4cef12325075009bfb.jpg

• Paid Members

This was mine;

ELBBO_bWsAImw4J?format=jpg&name=small

I do enjoy how incongruous it is with "Dance rock" alongside those particular artists and songs, though I'm annoyed by Savuka and Johnny Clegg being up there as two separate acts, as that's mostly from me blasting one "Best Of" album for most of the summer.

Setsuko & Seita and, to a lesser extent, Maggot Brain are probably over-represented from a period of insomnia where I put together a playlist of tracks to help me sleep. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, wordsfromlee said:

My third most listened to genre this year is apparently ‘chamber psych’, what ever that is. 

I only learned this year that the genre "dungeon synth" even existed.

• Paid Members

My artist of the decade was Billy Joel. Now I like a bit of the pianoman now and then, but this is further evidence that my wife needs a bit more variety with her musical tastes. 

I discovered 676 new artists in 2019, but I really vibed with Dave. What u sayin @SuperBacon

Top artists on my account this year were:

1) Ed Sheeran (wife & daughter)

2) Cassius (me)

3) Queen (wife & son)

4) Chemical Brothers (me & daughter)

5) Jess Glynne (fuck only knows)

Most listened to songs of the decade are God's Plan, Despacito and WAR MACHINE BY KISS!